Root Ripper Bucket

ken8378

Has anyone used one of these buckets for stump removal using a loader with skid steer quick attach mounts? I watched a video of this being used on a skid steer, but am wondering if it would be practicle on a loader. The skid steer in the demo video on youtube seemed small in size and seemed to work well.
http://haala.thomasnet.com/viewitems/skid-loader-buckets-attachments-2/root-ripper-bucket?

I am purchasing a tractor this coming spring. I am seriously considering a TYM 353 with sync/shuttle (35 hp/29 PTO) or a LS i3040 with sync/shuttle (38hp/31 PTO). I plan on clearing off about 2 acres for an orchard. Most of my trees are 14-20" diameter. This tractor will be my first tractor. Yes, I have a lot to learn.

RRR6X36.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of trees are they (as the root strength varies greatly). If they're pine, you can rip them right out but if they're something like Elm, they're very difficult to pull.

For the trees you want to rip out, I don't know if anything other then a backhoe will do the job efficiently. You didn't say what this bucket costs but I'd say a tooth-bar would do about the same for significantly less money.

Erik

a) the 353 is a good machine and should handle any "normal" chores you will need a tractor for.
b) I doubt it's big enough to clear 20" stumps with any efficiency. You'd probably be a lot better off cutting the trees down, limbing them and using it to move the logs and brush, (if you want the wood) then hiring a dozer to come in and rip out the stumps.

depending on what kind of orchard and how close you plan on planting the trees, it may be more tractor than will comfortably fit between rows to mow after the orchard is established.

ken8378

All of the trees I will be dropping are either mostly white oak and some red oak. I am looking at 30-50 trees. The problem with buying a backhoe is that once that job and replacing a drain pipe under the drive are complete. I will have little use for the backhoe, unless I start working for hire on the side.

Red Beard

A trick I've used once in a while is hooking a chain or cable high on the tree for leverage and pulling it down. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All of the trees I will be dropping are either mostly white oak and some red oak. I am looking at 30-50 trees. The problem with buying a backhoe is that once that job and replacing a drain pipe under the drive are complete. I will have little use for the backhoe, unless I start working for hire on the side.

I didn't mean to imply that you buy a backhoe. Just rent or get one for a weekend. It'll rip them all out in a day. Use your tractor for harvesting what's left.

ken8378

No problem. I would love to get a backhoe with the tractor. I am looking at all options. I like the idea of just cutting all trees down and after clearing wood and brush, having a dozer come in for a day and level it all off.

ken8378

I spoke to a good friend at church who has a construction company and a 40hp New Holland. It turns out that he has a bucket very similar to the one I posted. He said that he uses it to rip out stumps and uncut trees and it works fine. He likes it because he doesn't have to dig as big of a hole as with a backhoe. He will dig straight down or at an angle and cut the roots on one side and push tree or stump away from cut side.

He also used it for digging a shallow trench for a drain under the drive to his property that he is building a house on.

I hope this helps anyone looking for that special attachment for the holidays.