What tools do you carry

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Seems like I always need a shovel wherever I go.

One example would be to repair the irrigation berm around a new tree while watering.

An even more frequent use is to take the slender trenching shovel and dig down a foot or more to get out the long taproot under a blackberry bush or scrub oak that is choking an orchard tree.

I discovered that a golf bag strapped to the ROPS is ideal to carry shovels. I also carry a bow saw for pruning.

Aside from those constant tools, I occasionally put in a pitchfork for fire-tending, or a T-shaped probe to stick in the ground when I need to find and dig out the roots of a downed tree. All of these tools are awkward to carry any other way, maybe impossible.

Then up forward on the loader pedestal is a kid-size golf bag, the kind with no dividers. It always contains two 10ft chains (for lashing stuff to the loader bucket) and long handle pruning shears. In this photo I'm using it as a scabbard for a cordless reciprocating saw, which is a great pruning tool.

There is also a canvas bag off the left rear of the ROPS carrying drinking water, and a similar one under my right elbow to stuff my jacket in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And on the little Yanmar there is no room to carry anything. I hung a thrift-store insulated backpack (beer carrier???) off the side of the hood to stuff my jacket in as the day warms up. It also has extra 3-point clevises, gloves, hand pruner, and a two-liter cranberry juice bottle filled with drinking water. The outer pocket has surveyor's flagging (colorful tape). I use this to flag, reserve, a few orchard trees of each type for family use.

attachment.php

Last edited: