Help with 3 point hitch on a Ford 445?

Istillcare

Hi,

I have a Ford 445 with a front end loader. Works great for me except I don't understand the controls for the 3 pint hitch lift. Raises very slowly, say a whole minute. Will not leak back down with the tractor off. Also raises quickly when cranking over the motor but not when motor is running ????

Do the controls (2 levers for, draft control and raise lower) along with a knob labeled "F" "S" function for raising speed?

I got the fast slow connotation :) but the knob is stuck and does not turn with a reasonable nudging (4 or 5 ft-lbs of torque). Not sure if the rotating knob is for speed of raising, lowering or both. The black rotating knob is pictured on the left about in the middle top to bottom and 1/3rd of the way over from the right edge.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Attachments

• gthtc 036.jpg
    gthtc 036.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • gthtc 039.jpg
    gthtc 039.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 59

Gary66

pressure adjustment screw

I'm sure that I am the least informed about your hydraulics...but, since nobody has responded, here goes.
I built my tractor AND hydraulics from used components and found it to be low on power. It only generated 1,000 psi. But, when I began to adjust the screw needle on the controls, pressure jumped dramatically and lift increased the same. I was so impressed I chained a heavy load into the bucket and it lifted it instantly. I increased pressure some more, I was so impressed, and didn't bother to climb aboard...just lifted away. Suddenly the load shifted and the tractor slowly rolled over to the right - ALL THE WAY! While it was on it's side I took the opportunity to service things on the underside etc. and then winched it back on it's feet. On the next small lift the entire front axle came off! Soooo, adjust for REASONABLE pressure and the problem may be solved. If you don't already have a gauge in the line, put one in. Old units like mine were good for 2 or 3,000psi and large diameter cylinders. I'm told the new tractors have smaller cylinder diameter but produce a lot of pressure. How much would be normal I don't know. I'm sure most of the forum members would know that figure. I found that with too much pressure adjusted in, the lift was violent and jerky. The tractor seems to actually jump with the slightest movement of the control. That's too much pressure, obviously. Each control should have a screw adjustment I'm thinkin'. I can't wait to see what people say who actually know their stuff.

Istillcare

Thank you for the reply. I like the story of tipping it over by accident but taking the "opportunity" to do some work on the underside :)

My front end loader works great though. Problem is with my 3 point hitch. I thought someone might have the same or similar tractor and recognize the controls and be able to tell me if the black knob does indeed set the raise speed of the hitch.

Gary66

I know the least...so, give advice!

I'm sure someone knows your controls and will help...but I was thinking it possible that your 3pt control had been set low. More pressure will definitely speed it up, if you have that adjustment. I just love this forum! Even I can offer advice on stuff I know little about. They should put my picture on that little icon that bangs himself on the head. I have several old tractors and use them all...now and then. That system ensures that on most any day NONE of them will run. I see Doc is asking for pic's of our tractors. Next to the REAL tractors that you and the others have, mine pale...so, I may attach an implement to the back of my '28 Model A Ford, which DOES run and is faithful. I could be proud of that pic on the forum. So, regarding qualifications, I'm probably the expert on determining why something old and neglected won't start and how to get it running for about 5 more minutes of unproductive dithering. If I get a backhoe I'll strap a shovel on it so at least I can get the hole dug.:drink:

Gary66

2-sp. 3-pt

Pressure: 2500 psi [172.4 bar]
Valve flow: 5.6 gpm [21.2 lpm]
8.0 gpm [30.3 lpm] (independent PTO)
22 gpm [83.3 lpm] (loader/backhoe)

I suppose you Google'd the Ford 445, but I did too. I found no reference to the controls you are asking about. I DID find the above spec's and note that the hydraulic flow is EITHER 5.6 gpm or 8.0 gpm. This might indicate a high-low lift speed for the 3pt.

I'm big on penetrating fluid, then light tapping with a hammer to help the fluid vibrate into any corrosion. After a short while I tap from easy to pretty danged hard AS I'm trying to get movement in any direction.

Again, be aware that I know nothing about your tractor and yet hope the spec's might help.

Bindian

Hi,

I have a Ford 445 with a front end loader. Works great for me except I don't understand the controls for the 3 pint hitch lift. Raises very slowly, say a whole minute. Will not leak back down with the tractor off. Also raises quickly when cranking over the motor but not when motor is running ????

Do the controls (2 levers for, draft control and raise lower) along with a knob labeled "F" "S" function for raising speed?

I got the fast slow connotation :) but the knob is stuck and does not turn with a reasonable nudging (4 or 5 ft-lbs of torque). Not sure if the rotating knob is for speed of raising, lowering or both. The black rotating knob is pictured on the left about in the middle top to bottom and 1/3rd of the way over from the right edge.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
I still care,:tiphat:
I had a mid 1970s Ford 3055.:thumb: The knob you are referring to on my Ford didn't do a thing, so I just figured it was inop.:eek: As I remember, the draft control lever should be in the up position if you want to raise the 3PH with the position lever. You might want to see about buying an operators manual for it.
hugs, Brandi:blob_blue:

Istillcare

Thank you for the reply. My "control" knob is inoperable also, especially because I have not been able to rotate it :(

Hitch goes up very slowly, raising speed is about the same whether or not there is a 600 pound load on the arms or not.

The only way I can get the arms to raise quickly is by cranking over the motor but not starting it.

Yep, I've been planning on getting a manual for a while now, just have not done it yet.

Bindian

Thank you for the reply. My "control" knob is inoperable also, especially because I have not been able to rotate it :(

Hitch goes up very slowly, raising speed is about the same whether or not there is a 600 pound load on the arms or not.

The only way I can get the arms to raise quickly is by cranking over the motor but not starting it.

Yep, I've been planning on getting a manual for a while now, just have not done it yet.
Istillcare,
What position is your draft control in? Try raising it up to full up and then try to raise the 3PH.
hugs, Brandi

Istillcare

Over the past year I tried about all combinations of the two levers. Can feather down the hitch, return to previous height setting etc, just nothing to change the up speed. If I ever do get a manual or figure out what is wrong (either with me or the tractor) I will be sure and post the info. Thank you.