Sheared some bolts

jwstewar

Staff member
I was mowing the grass yesterday with the trusty New Holland w/ the 914A MMM. I had stopped because the tractor and I both needed some liquid:starbucks: I decided to clean a little bit of the build up of grass off the deck and it hits me.:eek: I've sheared 2 of the bolts off that hold the gear box for the mower deck off.:eek: Looks like I'll have to take the mower deck off. (Hmmph, I just put it back on). Remove the gear box and then start the fun of seeing if I can extract the bolts. I'll try to take some pics before and during the process.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Bummer Jim . Any idea what caused them to shear ? Best of luck getting it back going . Bob

jwstewar

Staff member
Thanks for the words of encourement guys.

Now the goods news. I only broke one bolt, lost the other one. I've got it apart and got the bolt out. Now the bad news. One of the mounts for the gear box is broken. Now the really bad news, I broke one of the corners off the gear box.:furious: The good thing is, I think there is enough thread area that I can get a little longer bolt and be good to. I don't see anyway that I could reinforce that corner. Any thoughts other than a new one? Ain't no way in hell that is happening, just checked Messicks, $826.:eek: WOW!!!!!!

First shot is of the deck still on the tractor. Next is from the same position, but the deck off the tractor. Next is how the gear box sits on the deck. Forth is the broken mount (opposite side of the broken bolts, must have put stress on the ear of it). Next is the broken corner with the bolt still in the hole. Next is the broken area with the bolt out. Last is a shot of the broken bolt.

Attachments

• 101_3382.jpg
    101_3382.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 101_3383.jpg
    101_3383.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 101_3384.jpg
    101_3384.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 101_3385.jpg
    101_3385.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 143
  • 101_3386.jpg
    101_3386.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 101_3387.jpg
    101_3387.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 101_3390.jpg
    101_3390.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 141

Erik

the broken ear on the mount could be welded back together - or replaced with a piece of angle iron.
the corner that needs reinforced could be welded or epoxied to the mounting bracket after bolting it back together. Not the best solution, but it would get you back in motion while you check craigs list or cruise auctions looking for a replacement gearbox. (should be able to find a mower with rusted out deck cheap)

good luck.

jwstewar

Staff member
I found a complete deck for sale on ebay. Right now it is going for $450 + S. Wonder how long it would take me to get to New York? :yum:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
That half of the housing can be had for about $200+

If you do that, might as well replace the bearings and seals at the same time.

jwstewar

Staff member
Unfortunately, I'll probably have to mow at least 3 or 4 more times. We usually mow well into October, sometimes November.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Jim, I've just had a very large vodka & tonic so please tell me that some of those photos are out of focus and it's not just me. :wink:

It's a bummer when stuff like that happens, isn't it? It isn't just the hassle of hunting down the bits and pieces to fix it, it's also the fact that the grass doesn't stop growing while you're doing it. Man, I wish you luck and hope that you get things up and running again soon.

jwstewar

Staff member
Yep, Frank some of them are out of focus. I'm using our old camera. 2 reasons, first our good Nikon is in the shop - the flash quit working, and second. I wouldn't use the Nikon out there any way, Monica would kill me if I had it out there around all of the grease.

I think I'm going to get a new bracket but use the gear box the way it is. It calls for 1 1/4" bolt, but that doesn't go to the bottom of the hole. I can use a 1 1/2" bolt and it will still tighten down completely. That gives me about 3/8" of thread to hold it. Not great but, but given the alternatives, I'm willing to risk it. At this point, if is doesn't work, what am I out? I've already got a damaged gear box, so more than likely I won't hurt anything else that isn't already damaged.

Brutus

Providing the other 3 bolts and mountings are OK, 3/8 inch of bolt should be enough to hold it for you. You'll have to check often to make sure none of them work loose. I'm thinking that might have been your original problem that got the ball rolling. Did you have any unusual vibrations before you discovered your li'l catastrophe?

jwstewar

Staff member
No unusual vibrations or noises or anything, it was actually a pretty uneventful mowing day. The grass was a little long, but seemed like it was mowing pretty easy because it was so dry. That is why I had cleaned the grass a couple of times. I was afraid it would build heat up rubbing against the belt and maybe catch fire. Heck, I finished mowing even after the damage was done. I figured I had run it how long??? What was another 15 - 20 minutes gonna hurt.:hide:

I agree, losing the first bolt is what caused the whole thing to start. I've picked up all new bolts for the mounting plates and the gear box. Haven't gotten the new bracket yet. Was going to go to the dealer today, but instead I ended up going to look at a horse trailer and it followed me home. Monica says I did good though, so I'm not in trouble.

Brutus

Good thinking on keeping the grass buildup away from moving parts. You're right, you may have prevented a fire.

You didn't say how much taller the grass was than what it usually is when you mow. Could it be that the mower was having to work harder, thus causing bolts to work loose?

Grasping at straws here, ideawise. I'm thinking that if this happened once, it might happen again. I'm thinking of ways to help you prevent such an episode in the future.

Good luck!

olcowhand

Can't be positive, but almost willing to bet you could take the gearbox apart & swap ends the shaft comes out of. Then you'd be on new unused case holes. Most gearboxes similar to this are made to switch around for different applications.

jwstewar

Staff member
Not yet. I didn't make it to the dealership until Friday. They had to order the part in - not really a surprise as that probably isn't something that needs replaced all that often. I'll have the in-laws pick it up tomorrow and I should be able to get it Wednesday.