Well got to try my 10,000 pound winch out

budtoh3zo

Doing right away inspections and the old cortroy gave way and down i went. Hour of curssing and rerigging and I was on my way again.

Attachments

• 20170925_132723.jpg
    20170925_132723.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170925_133552.jpg
    20170925_133552.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 139

ovrszd

Sorry for your situation, but good report!!!

Can you explain what you were doing and your general location? And how you rigged the winch to get yourself out? Winch accesories such as tree straps, snatch blocks, clevis' and rigging ropes sure come in handy sometimes!!

Lee1935

Just wondering if a portable winch that hooks onto the rear trailer hitch ball would have been useful? I have a winch on the front also but have seen the time when a pull from the rear would have helped.

budtoh3zo

I was just doing a inspection of the gas pipeline. All i carry is tree strap. With a 10,000 pound winch i was tearing trees down so snatch block wouldn't have been much help.

This is a portable winch just have to get wires run to the back it would have really helped here as I was trying to get turned around to leave so if I could have pulled myself back would have been way quicker

ovrszd

The snatch block is rarely used to increase pulling force. It's commonly used to change the direction of pull. Could have been used here to turn the RTV around and go back from where you came. I carry two in my buggy along with 3 clevis', 2 tree straps and a rigging rope. Sometimes takes a bit of brainstorming to come up with a solution but I always enjoy the challenge and ending success. :)

Lee1935

I was just doing a inspection of the gas pipeline. All i carry is tree strap. With a 10,000 pound winch i was tearing trees down so snatch block wouldn't have been much help.

This is a portable winch just have to get wires run to the back it would have really helped here as I was trying to get turned around to leave so if I could have pulled myself back would have been way quicker

I've found on electric winches if you are working them hard the hot wire to the battery can get very hot, if it's a long run to the battery that just makes matters worse. A chunk of electric welding cable eliminates this small problem ☺

The snatch block is rarely used to increase pulling force. It's commonly used to change the direction of pull. Could have been used here to turn the RTV around and go back from where you came. I carry two in my buggy along with 3 clevis', 2 tree straps and a rigging rope. Sometimes takes a bit of brainstorming to come up with a solution but I always enjoy the challenge and ending success. :)

I have to use them to double the pulling power. Buried 14k lb trucks and 9k winch makes you get creative. Sad thing is the 9k pulled better than the 12k which will stall and trip breakers. I have never needed to do a direction change with them but it's tool in the toolbox for sure. 10k winch on an rtv is not a bad idea. Don't have to really worry about overheating it as bad

Brett

budtoh3zo

Yup welding cable is what she has. With the connectors so when I get around to running the wire to the back it's a quick switch. Snatch block might be a good idea now that you say that. Save on some side load on the winch.

Nice thing with the rtv never ran low on power alt and the fair sized battery was lots to keep me moving. I do need a few more clevis. There handy for pulling trees out of the way.

ovrszd

I have to use them to double the pulling power. Buried 14k lb trucks and 9k winch makes you get creative. Sad thing is the 9k pulled better than the 12k which will stall and trip breakers. I have never needed to do a direction change with them but it's tool in the toolbox for sure. 10k winch on an rtv is not a bad idea. Don't have to really worry about overheating it as bad

Brett

Yep, been there.

A good rule of thumb is twice the weight of the vehicle for winch pulling power. With this rule, under heavy use, you'll need snatch blocks to add pulling force.

But normally, the snatch block is used to direct the pull so the winch isn't having to pull straight out the side.

As mentioned above, in this case, the wiring used will determine overheating. :)

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Consider making a land anchor if you can't find any trees on your route! I wish we would have had one when I lived in Alaska, but we always traveled in groups and would pull each other through the muck.