Kubota 1100

Robert Jaeger

Hey everyone.
I bought a 2008 RTV1100 with only 80 hrs on it and when I drive it and then let off the throttle fast it will skid the tires and even slid sideways. Is this normal or is there some kind of adjustment to make less severe when letting off the throttle ?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) RTV.

That is normal but you can do something about it. Search the forum for "coast valve" or "abrupt stop".

Many of us (especially those of us in hill country) like the engine braking and got used to it by just going easy on the pedal.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Robert. Welcome to our forums. I moved you thread to the RTV forum where you will get more views and responses.

As for the quick slow down I agree with BC. I posted something similar to your post when I first drove my RTV. BC suggested the coast valve to me also. But since I have lots of hills where I use the RTV I left it. Got used to letting off the throttle slowly. While it is a bit unusual, it is a good thing for me. No coast valve needed.

What a find on your part. Just 80 hours on it. Man, that is not even broke in. Enjoy!!!!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Welcome!!! I too have an 1100 of the same vintage as yours and purchased with very low hours also. i had the same problem as you and also noticed the rear u joints had already been replaced by the previous owner,probably due to the stress from sudden wheel stops absorbed by the driveshafts. i installed the coast valve from the vendor in Ebay and have been very happy with the results. it took about ten minutes to install. in my research i also came across some discussion of removing the factory valve and adjusting the pressure. that sounded attractive to me also until i read that could cause cavitation and damage the pumps. anyway the discussion involved having high pressure gauges to adjust properly, so i went the easy route and just bought the coast valve. i think a well informed dealer with the proper tools and gauges can adjust the stock valve. an added benefit i found is easy shifting now also.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome ABOARD Robert........The "problem" and fix is outlined above. MANY MANY discussions about the coast valve when you do the search. There are lots of pictures and folks have outlined procedures on how to adjust what and where...........
For me, like the folks above that live and work on hilly terrain, I find the stock set-up quite useful.....Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to; but even my dogs who ride in the back standing up quickly learn to adapt by shifting their weight as I come to a stop or slow down for a curve........Funny actually to watch them; but if an Anatolian Shepard and a Border Collie can sit back there with my 4 year old grand baby leaning and moving, I figure most folks can also get used to it.......God bless....Dennis

Mark.Sibole

The Kubota is a different beast then anything out there.I find the dynamic braking good as it is very helpful when hauling heavy loads or on very hilly terrain.as others stated you can replace the coast valve but i never found the need to do this.Once you get used to the machine you will find it to be nice and if you just slowily get off the pedal it will roll to a smooth stop.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with Mark - the Kubota RTV's are a beast of a different type from all the other UTV's. If you want speed - don't get one, but if you want a great work vehicle with tremendous carrying, pulling and control ability it is the machine for you. I love the dynamic breaking and the creeping ability going up hill.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I still have dynamic braking after i replaced my stock valve with the coast valve. my 1100 now has almost the same feel and dynamic breaking that my X model has. the only time i have needed the brakes was when i was loaded to 800 lbs and going 25 MPH. i miss judged the distance at the stop singe and had to feather my brakes some.

ovrszd

I still have dynamic braking after i replaced my stock valve with the coast valve. my 1100 now has almost the same feel and dynamic breaking that my X model has. the only time i have needed the brakes was when i was loaded to 800 lbs and going 25 MPH. i miss judged the distance at the stop singe and had to feather my brakes some.

Yep, me too. Or going down a very, very steep hill. Seems much easier on the powertrain.