The Beast (LOL)

Mark777

One of my very first Restorations.

I found the beast abandoned in the back of a dealership where I bought my Massey Ferguson. It was in such poor, neglected and abused condition...and of course it didn't run.

Well after a few months of TLC it turned out to be one of my better (luckier) decisions....

Attachments

• 1300D-4.jpg
    1300D-4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 1300D-3.jpg
    1300D-3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 99

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Mark! What a little beast indeed! :D
Those AG tires are the most aggressive looking AG's I've ever seen! :eek:

M

mtntopper

Nice job of restoring. :thumb: Let me know when you have some more free time and I will find you another tractor or snow cat and you can do your magic. :mrgreen:

Mark777

Thanks guys...

Like Ohio said, they're rice tires. The tractors are often submerged up to the instrument cluster. I have owned enough to know that there are visible water lines and fine silt inside some of the instruments and above the fuse block.

Some of the Japanese farmers add vent tubes to the hydraulic reservoir, front and real axles and rock shaft.

At the end of rice farming season, the farms are allowed to die off and dry in their very hot summers. The fields soft sandy soil turn rock hard from baking in the sun. At the beginning of the new season, the fields are flooded and these tractors equipped with tillers start the task of tilling, mixing and loosining the submerged soil readying it for planters. The whole process takes about two weeks per season or 60-100 tractor hours.

And that's why we see so many 25 year old used tractors with 600-800 true hours.

BTW, the tractor in the picture is a YM1300D and will fit in the back of a full size pick-up.

Mark

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mark,
I was looking at an exporters site yesterday and could not believe the number of tractors with 300 hours that they listed as "overhauled engine".

Mark777

Yes, and it's happening just way too often.

Why do you suppose they do that? I mean I'm asking why do they find it necessary to lie and use the buzz words like overhaul or rebuilt??

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mark,
This was an exporter, not an importer. I'd have to believe an exporter not from VN.

Mark777

Well that changes everything...I'm wondering if these are tractors that have been stockpiled for 15-20 years with stuck rings and other problems that importers have been avoiding.

If you hone the cylinders, replace the rings, rod and main bearings on a Diesel tractor with very low hours...thats pretty much an overhaul IMO.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
These were newer models too, not the YM series. Isekis, Kubotas and Yanmars.

Mark777

Thanks BD,

I'm very fortunate to have my Old step dad, a retired Pan Am mechanic (due to Lockerbie, Scotland bombing) and his long stint with Continental Airlines as a auditor. His experience is greatly appreciated...and he believes jet engines are just really fast diesel engines. Another plus is my little brother has a few years with GM and diesel engine repair.

We've turned out some pretty fair tractors for people. I'd like to attach another of our most popular models, the YM1610D,

Mark

Attachments

• 1610D-2fin.jpg
    1610D-2fin.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 92
  • 1601D-resto6.jpg
    1601D-resto6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1601D-resto5.jpg
    1601D-resto5.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 90

Mark777

Ohio,

Do you have an address or link to that site? I'd sure like to read up on it and actually see what they're doing.

Thanks, Mark

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW, that is nice. I like the size of that. Is it a 16hp tractor? How much HP at the PTO ....ie: would it have enough ummph to run a tiller?

.....I wonder if I could find room in my pole barn for one like that? :hide:

Mark777

Doc, Thanks.

It's a 3 cylinder with 16 PTO HP and 20 (okay 20.2) engine HP.

I makes for an excellent narrow tractor with loader for mucking stalls and very popular around my area. The FEL is great with the power-shift transmission.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Could you give me a ballpark price for how much just the tractor would cost?

Mark777

Doc,

Depending on location, condition, hours and upgrades they run from (basic) $4650. to (Upgraded) $5500.

Here's a gent's tractor that is UTDA. It is the YM1610D model (4WD) with foldable ROPS, New Tires, all the safety features either checked, replaced or added, like PTO shield, clutch neutral safety switch..etc. His price is $4850. and you won't find a more honest dealer. (www.lmtcompany.com)

Mark

Attachments

• LMTC 1610D.jpg
    LMTC 1610D.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 82

Mith

Nice tractor Mark. I sure could do with some of those rice tyres around here.
I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat, even though parts support is much poorer here.
Nice job on the rebuild too, just needs some mud to finish it off :D