New Blades and What a Difference!!!!

jwstewar

Staff member
I had pushed the blades on my TC24D and the 914A MMM about as far as I could. I had sharpened them when I changed the oil earlier this year and I've mowed twice with them. Problem was it seemed like I was having to mow the grass twice and it was still leaving two stripes. So I decided I had to break down and go ahead and get new blades. I figure I did pretty good. I mow about 5.5 acres and I almost made it 4 years with the original ones. So I think I did it pretty good. I went with a set of high lift blades. I think they were $3 more than standard lift ones. A set of 3 were around $101 out the door.

You can see the difference in the blades in the attached pics. You can see how much of the old blade had worn away and how much more lift the new blade has.

Attachments

• 100_1784.jpg
    100_1784.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_1785.jpg
    100_1785.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_1786.jpg
    100_1786.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 79

jwstewar

Staff member
You can see why I was leaving stripes when you compare the two pictures. The first one shows the "gap" between the old blades and the second one shows how much less of a gap there is between the new blades. No wonder I couldn't cut those dandelions.:hide:

Attachments

• 100_1790.jpg
    100_1790.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_1791.jpg
    100_1791.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 77

jwstewar

Staff member
Now you can see the results. These new blades even made my crappy "Natural Grass" (also known as weeds:smile: ) look pretty good except for the fact I still need to trim yet. I still have some left over clippings from the last couple of mowings where the grass was too tall and combined with the blades not cutting quite right it was leaving clumps so now it should start decomposing a little bit better and start disappearing. Guess I'll have to replace them a little sooner this time.

Attachments

• 100_1792.jpg
    100_1792.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_1793.jpg
    100_1793.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1794.jpg
    100_1794.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81

jwstewar

Staff member
I would bet you are OK Jerry. You don't mow as much grass as I do, plus when by the time you take in to account the higher water table and you have to use the riding mower, I bet your blades haven't seen near as much wear as mine. I'm mowing about 5.5 acres with mine, so I bet you'll be good to go for awhile with just a sharpening, we also have a pretty sandy soil which also contributed to the wear. How is your soil there?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
How long had those blades been in use? They are really worn. I've been using the same blades for 3 seasons, mowing 4 acres each use. I noticed I missed a few weeds / dandilions this year. When I check, I'll expect to find what your pictures show.

Off topic ... but just wondering if you guys like the thumbnail pics that have to be clicked to see the full size. Just today I found I do not care for them opening in the same window. Because when I use the back button it takes me to the end of the thread. Then I have to page up to the pics to view the next one. I should be able to change it where it either opens in a new window, or where I disable thumbnails all together and the whole picture shows up like on FF.

B

bczoom

we also have a pretty sandy soil which also contributed to the wear.
Sandy conditions will quickly wear at your blades. You'll find that the high-lift blades will need sharpened more and wear faster due to sand being lifted and sucked into the blades more than a regular blade.

I still have some left over clippings from the last couple of mowings where the grass was too tall and combined with the blades not cutting quite right it was leaving clumps
IMHO, clumping is mainly due to moisture in the grass. It's holding the clippings together and spitting out in chunks. I can't see any clumps in your pics, but if they're relatively large, they'll kill the grass underneath due to choking it out.

Another thing I've found that relates to high-lift blades and moisture/clumps is that the lift on the blades actually makes the clippings stick to the top of the deck instead of shooting them out. If you find your deck is starting to get clogged, stop and shut the mower off. Without the lift, much of the accumulated clippings will fall out. This may be a significant amount. See the note above about killing the grass underneath.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Off topic ... but just wondering if you guys like the thumbnail pics that have to be clicked to see the full size. Just today I found I do not care for them opening in the same window. Because when I use the back button it takes me to the end of the thread. Then I have to page up to the pics to view the next one. I should be able to change it where it either opens in a new window, or where I disable thumbnails all together and the whole picture shows up like on FF.

if you are taking votes, I think I like to keep the thumbnail and have it open in a new window.

Jim

jwstewar

Staff member
Jim,
How long had those blades been in use? They are really worn. I've been using the same blades for 3 seasons, mowing 4 acres each use. I noticed I missed a few weeds / dandilions this year. When I check, I'll expect to find what your pictures show..

Those blades were the original blades that came with the tractor in June 2003. I've sharpened them 2 or 3 times each season. Should've replaced them last year, but decided to push a little bit longer.

I like the thumbnails, but if they were to open in a new window I would like it better. I don't like how when the big pictures load it takes awhile and keeps moving the thread on me. Also takes awhile to load if you are on a slower connection.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found I cannot force thumbnails to be opened in an new tab or window. However, you can right click on the thumbnail and select that option yourself. I also took this opportunity to re-size the default thumbnail size, so we'll have a better idea of the actual picture.

jwstewar

Staff member
:bangin: Well so far I had been happy with the high lift blades. Then the rains came (finally). Started mowing last week and was having problems with the clumping that the New Holland Lack-of-Rear Discharge decks are famous for. Was getting clumps, but not terrible. I could slow down and it would only rattle for a few seconds and I could pick up again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish. We went away for a couple of days as a family and then I went on a business trip for a couple of days and then it rained again. When I got home from work last night Monica had been mowing. She pretty much had gotten done what I had done last week, but not quite all. After dinner I hopped on the tractor and decided to knock it out. What should have taken an 1 1/2 to 2 hours ended up taking over 3 hours.:mad2: :eek2: Between the grass being higher than normal (probably 6 - 8" cutting to 3") and the dew started setting in (about 7 PM) it made for a rough mow. I've got clumps every where, but I just wanted it done. Now I'm going to have to get the sweeper out and sweep the yard (haven't done that in a few years). If I would've just been patient enough and stopped until today, it wouldn't have been as bad, but I have other things I need to do today. Now I still get to work on the grass though. Just hope the sweeper will pick up my grass boogers.

Mark31

Hello all! I'm new here and this is my first post. I guess I look at thinks a little differently than you guys: I cut 9-10 acres of centipede and mix with some under pine trees. I have a John Deere GT 245 with a 54 inch deck as my main machine. In 3-4 weeks my blades lose their edge and the wing loses a little height. Grass looks beat off rather than clipped sharply and my 20 hp Kawasaki engine groans and burns more fuel. I don't cut damp grass, so I don't have clumping. Three US-made blades are less than $25 at Agri South. I ran high lift blades for a few minutes on my old JD 165 with a 38 inch deck with my Cyclone leaf vacuum. Too much lift and too much load on the engine! The best to all! Mark

Archdean

I found I cannot force thumbnails to be opened in an new tab or window. However, you can right click on the thumbnail and select that option yourself. I also took this opportunity to re-size the default thumbnail size, so we'll have a better idea of the actual picture.

Doc/Try these settings they work for me !

CaptureJPGTabs.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG Tabs.JPG
    Capture.JPG Tabs.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 57

jbrumberg

I wish I could be talking to you about mowing :(. I still have around a month or so before I can even contemplate mowing my "lawn". I am done with snow. Jay

jwstewar

Staff member
I wish I was talking mowing. We have still been having winter around here it seems. Just now starting to warm up, but we've had so much rain it is nothing but mud season. To make matters worse the house construction and most of the yard is mud. It does looks like I'll have to hit the other side of the yard before much longer as it looks like some of my natural grass is starting to get pretty tall. Don't want to give any slithering creatures a place to hide and head toward the house/play area.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good reminder thread though......I want to get my blades sharpened before the mowing season starts. I think I have a week or so at the most. :D

guyross

I would bet you are OK Jerry. You don't mow as much grass as I do, plus when by the time you take in to account the higher water table and you have to use the riding mower, I bet your blades haven't seen near as much wear as mine. I'm mowing about 5.5 acres with mine, so I bet you'll be good to go for awhile with just a sharpening, we also have a pretty sandy soil which also contributed to the wear. How is your soil there?

Nice work. Good looking grass, Nice place

jwstewar

Staff member
Finally had to do it again. The original blades lasted about 4 years. The high lift blades look like they lasted right at 2. I should've replaced them earlier, but didn't. Finally got to the point when I was mowing, I was leaving more uncut than I was cutting, so I was just burning diesel. These were actually worn worse than the original blades were when I took them off. I had lost about 3/4" off each of the center blade. I used the high lift again. Now what I'm unsure of, did the high lift contribute to the shortened life, or did bare/sandy ground from where we built the new house contribute to the shortened life. Guess I don't know that, but now that I almost have normal grass everywhere again, I'll see how long the new set lasts. I'm also going to try to avoid scalping the ground and rocks a little bit better this time.:hide:

jwstewar

Staff member
Also forgot, I had broken the fuel filter assembly last spring. I wasn't able to turn the fuel off so I could change the fuel filter. What happened was, it was stiff and I couldn't turn it. So I thought I would get some extra leverage with a Crescent Wrench.:pat: Snapped it off, so I've been meaning to get a new one for awhile as I've been running the same fuel filter now for a little over 200 hours and I usually change it with every oil change at 100. Started taking it apart. Took the line that goes to the engine off. Fuel starts flowing out of the filter. :pat:I hurry up and push the line back on. Take the return line off the top. It rips off as it is stuck to the filter assembly. Fuel starts coming out of the top.:pat: I hurry up and get a pair of Vice Grips and clamp the fuel line off. Problem was I was too close to the fuel filter becuase of no room. I can't get the line from the tank off. So I try to move the Vice Grips, but can't get another good bite, but OK. Then I try to get the clamp, but still not enough room to completely get the clamp off. I'm pulling on the fuel line it is stuck. About this time it lets go. Unfortunately, not from the fuel filter. It lets go from the tank.:pat: Fuel is going everywhere. I hurry up and get a finger on it. In the process I drop the vice grips and the needle nose pliers and I can't reach any tools. End up having to call Monica to have her come out of the house and help me. She just kept "yelling" at me saying, thought you said it was about out of fuel. What she doesn't realize is, 1/2 gal to a gallon of fuel, can make a very big mess when it starts spreadying out over a concrete floor.:shitHitsFan: Ended up having to remove the dash, but finally got it all put back together, but I did end up losing the rest of the fuel, so off to buy more tonight so I can bleed the injectors and start mowing grass.