Diesel gas cans

Westfield

I was having trouble with two new gas cans I purchased and I replace them with these because the old ones we're junk. The new ones I purchase were made by VP racing. The inlet has a very large hole for filling and a breather cap so the gas comes on fast. I also ordered a 45 degree fitting to make it easier to fill my machine. Just thought I'd share my findings with you guys and gals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-061000_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-061000_Samsung Internet.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_20200510-061134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-061134_Samsung Internet.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 193

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i use the steel nato gerry cans. especially for gas because it will go bad in plastic for long term. cost about the same. but for sure i like those like you have also.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good. Especially the bigger nozzle. :thumb:

Reminds me of the 'turbo pump' I got just this week. Transfers fuels fast and easy. No spilling. I tried it this weekend and I'm very happy with how fast it pumps and ..it saves my back. :D

The gas station we had on the river closed down. The guy retired. So we are going to have to transfer up to 40 gallons of fuel when we want to gas on on the water instead of taking the boats off the water to gas pumps. The turbo pump will be a huge help with this. I plan to use the 2nd one for diesel when refueling my diesel equipment.

I just noticed Harbor Freight offers a similar pump for 9.99 each. Very handy.

https://www.buyturbopump.com/?mid=11437598&msclkid=714036f230fb1902caeb6845c133a610

Attachments

• TurboPump.jpg
    TurboPump.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 183

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have many plastic 5-gallon gas and diesel cans. Most of the spouts created in the last 20 years are total crap. I replaced them all with EZ-Pour spouts. They're like the old-school spouts where there's no gadgets. They just pour out the fuel. They have a standard spout as well as a high-volume.
https://ezpourspout.com/

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have many plastic 5 gal containers and replaced all with EZ-pour spouts for gas, diesel and kero. Also in the newer cans, I removed that plastic hoochie from inside that keeps you from seeing if there is any debris in the can. I prefer the can with the second handle on it - saves my old back.

I am curious - over what period of time would fuel go bad in a plastic container?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me going to get gas. 18 cans=90 gallons.

Attachments

• 20200301_132735(0).jpg
    20200301_132735(0).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 131

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Me going to get gas. 18 cans=90 gallons.
I see one of these in your future
rethwisch-768x512.jpg

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
i use the steel nato gerry cans. especially for gas because it will go bad in plastic for long term. cost about the same. but for sure i like those like you have also.

Aurthuritis, can you provide some reference for believing plastic cans are not as good for gasoline as metal ones (other than anecdotal evidence)?

It’s my opinion that metal cans are worse than plastic because of their condensation proclivity. I keep aviation gasoline stored in eight 5-gal plastic containers for up to two years with no problem at all and no stabilizer. (As one might imagine, aircraft are sensitive to fuel quality and octane. I’ve done this for at least 20 years now in the same containers while I had to throw away my galvanized metal gas cans used for the same purpose because one of them developed seam-leaks and the other continuously had water problems, which also led to rusting.)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Aurthuritis, can you provide some reference for believing plastic cans are not as good for gasoline as metal ones (other than anecdotal evidence)?

It’s my opinion that metal cans are worse than plastic because of their condensation proclivity. I keep aviation gasoline stored in eight 5-gal plastic containers for up to two years with no problem at all and no stabilizer. (As one might imagine, aircraft are sensitive to fuel quality and octane. I’ve done this for at least 20 years now in the same containers while I had to throw away my galvanized metal gas cans used for the same purpose because one of them developed seam-leaks and the other continuously had water problems, which also led to rusting.)

sorry geohorn i can't provide you with the documentation you requested. there is information available to you if you search for it i am sure. i think but am not sure my information came from the API or maybe the military i am not sure anymore. the cans i use are sealed and non vented unless the seal is broken so condensation isn't a problem and the volatile components of the gasoline cannot escape because the vapor pressure build up in the sealed can and the metal is impervious to the escape of the volatile components. that is how i remember it at least and i could be 100 percent wrong so if you are uncomfortable with what i say take it with a grain of salt. i have been using the original GI cans for probably 20 years without leaks,rust,or water. i can't comment on the cheap knockoff cans.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
From Western Global, manufacturers of Fuel Storage Tanks:
PLASTIC FUEL STORAGE TANKS
Plastic fuel tanks are typically made out of a heavy-duty polyethylene material.

ADVANTAGES OF PLASTIC FUEL STORAGE TANKS
Plastic fuel tanks are more lightweight than steel, making installation and transportation easier and cheaper.
Plastic is an insulator, which slows the transfer of heat from the environment to the contents.
Though off-the-shelf designs will be limited to what the mass-market desires, plastic tanks can come in virtually any shape if you are willing to pay for custom designs.
Plastic is pliable, meaning that its shape may deform under certain stress. Luckily, these deformations can be corrected with little damage to the integrity of the tank.

DISADVANTAGES OF PLASTIC FUEL STORAGE TANKS
There is a limit to how large a plastic fuel tank can be before the integrity of the design becomes compromised. Maximum capacity is generally around 1,700 gallons (6,500 liters).
Exposure to direct sunlight can weaken and degrade plastics, making plastic tanks less suited to outdoor storage.
Because plastic is a softer material than steel, it is easier for plastic tanks to become damaged on the work site. Additionally, it is easier for thieves to drill into a plastic tank to siphon or steal fuel.
Plastic fuel tanks will inevitably absorb some of the fuel or other chemicals stored inside. This can weaken the integrity of the tank and makes it more difficult to recycle the materials, which can be a concern to green outfits.

STEEL FUEL STORAGE TANKS
Steel fuel tanks are typically made in single or double walled designs.

ADVANTAGES OF STEEL FUEL STORAGE TANKS
Because steel is a sturdier material than plastic, they can take more punishment on the worksite than plastic tanks. This also makes fuel theft more difficult.
Unlike plastic, steel is non-porous, meaning that it will not absorb fuel or other chemical contents. This makes recycling the material easier.
Because of the nature of the material and construction, steel tanks can come in much larger capacities than plastic tanks, up to around 30,000 gallons (115,000 liters). This may allow you to take advantage of cheaper fuel prices when they come up in the market.
Steel tanks are not weakened by sunlight, making them ideal for outdoor storage compared to plastic.

DISADVANTAGES OF STEEL FUEL STORAGE TANKS
Steel is heavier than plastic, making it more challenging and expensive to transport and install.
Steel may naturally corrode (rust) over time, if not properly maintained.