My new old 240D has some issues. Please, ideas, suggestions, input needed.

splat55

Hey Ohio......glad to hear its unanimous.....I'm going with using both brakes and locked together. If I ever need to do something different, then at least I will know I can separate the brakes.
Well, got a new tire on the front today to match the new tire that was put on by the seller the day I bought the tractor. Both were in pretty sad shape when I looked at the tractor, but one was flat and the seller put one on the day I brought it home. So, good rubber all the way around! Oh, and Woohooo.....I ordered my ROPS today. Kind of an early b-day present from my wife and daughter.
Okay guys...I have another question. A guy came by today....actually he's our local Dish network guy. But he messes with tractors a little. Now, I don't know the termonology.....but, he suggested, to get a tiny bit more stability, I should take the big square peice that mounts to the rim...and bolt it on the back side of the rim. He said it works well for getting a little wider stance on the rear, hence a bit more stable.
My questions are these: Can that peice be mounted on the inside of the rim? It looks as though it can and there are some holes that look like they would align the way it's mounted now...but just on the inside.
And, is it worth the trouble to get maybe 2 on each side? To me, since I can't really afford wider tires right now nor can I afford to change over to a turf style tire/wheel combo, it sounds like maybe it would be ideal for me since a lot of our terrain isn't flat, so anything I can do to make the tractor more stable...for free, is very appealing. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unanimous? Almost. :D

I learned from a real farmer to put my foot diagonally across both brake pedals, to be sure each gets equal pressure. It's a habit now. And I've found it near impossible to keep them adjusted precisely equal so I could rely on equal braking. I think the manual says to engage the strap for road use where unequal braking could spin you around, but I don't road the tractor, in fact it is rare to use top gear on this uneven ground. The throttle will slow it in the lower gears. But everyone's taste is different, do whatever feels safest.

The wheels on the US Yanmars are 2-piece, a rim and a 'disc'. For mountain use the discs should be turned out then choose the brackets on the rims that give maximum width. There are some cases where you might have to swap the rims to the opposite side of the tractor to get maximum width. The valve stems would then be on the inside, no problem.

Water ballast in the rear tires helps rollover stability. The farmers around here work on slopes all the time and their tractors are ballasted to the maximum, filled tires then wheel weights also. I think you mentioned your tires already have water in them so they would be real heavy. Use an engine hoist or something if you disassemble the rim/disc combo, for safety. You might need to add antifreeze to water-filled tires, if you climate is colder than where your tractor came from.

Ohio, you're too modest! When I was starting out (2003) I learned a lot from your conversations with Soundguy.

splat55

Hey California.....thanks again for all the info. Now, as far as the wheels go, I think I understand what you are saying. The disk should have the " dimpled " side out?.....to get the max width? Do I have that right? Man, I totally didn't think about trying to work on the wheels with the water in the tires....Hmmmm...going to have to break out the engine hoist for that project I believe. And yeah, I think I will add some anti-freeze....it does get pretty cold here during the winter, often below freezing. Thanks again.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The disk should have the " dimpled " side out?.....to get the max width?
Yep.

Just for fun - here are some photos I have posted here before. These show the wheel discs and the (oversize) Kubota rims/tires a previous owner installed. Plus some other topics we have been discussing.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1441&d=1201639045
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2207&d=1214275258

(pre-ROPS. shows canvas bags holding water bottle, handtools, gloves, etc.)
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=860&d=1195703711

(first day I owned it, no ROPS. Note the slopes. Everything here looks like that. This is why I seldom use top gear.)
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=268&d=1185640812

(more slopes. Even the driveway isn't level, not just slope but side to side.)
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228&d=1184862100

And finally, my neighbor across the canyon, 1/4 mile south. He went out in rainy weather to repair a washout in his vineyard, halfway down where the slope becomes more steep. His tractor caused the terrace he was on, to slump down to the next terrace.

He was lucky it didn't roll, and continue to roll clear to the bottom of the ravine. No ROPS. I guess he was relying on heavy ballast to keep it from going over.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=237&d=1185040387

DJM

Gear shift

Gear shift lever: I turned mine around, very easy and intuitive once you remove the boot. Or, you can unbolt it and turn around.
Jumping out of gear: I have one also, so either hold it in with my hand on the shifter or use another gear.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info DJM! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us.

Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

lens12

I guess I qualify as on old real farmer since I've farmed for 37 years. I like having the brakes not locked together. the John Deeres & early Fords I grew up with had a brake on each side , so you couldn't lock them together. The problem with locking them together is when they aren't adjusted evenly. You end up only applying one any way. I'm used to putting my foot on both brakes & applying evenly. I have some help that didn't grow up on the farm. They usually lock them together. I use the brakes quite a bit for tight turns, especially when backing wagons & when they are locked, I end up stopping the tractor instead of turning.