Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just Got Some New Critters

Peacocks !!! They are being kept in the wired top open air cotton trailer that I converted to a chicken house many years ago. Right now , they are in the open area of it but can also go thru a door into the safe and dry area .
They will need to be kept up for a good while so they won't run off. Picky eaters and honk like a goose at times. I can't wait to hear the true "er err er errr er err " I hope they become more vocal soon . :) collie

Attachments

• KIMG0245.jpg
    KIMG0245.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 114

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A while back, we thought it would be so cool to have those birds. So we got 9 chicks. Did we learn a lot...…….Hershey Kiss little gifts all over the place.....Calls at 2 AM from a neighbor 400 yards away saying that they were up on top of his 2 story house and that they were scratching his new metal roof. My reply, "SHOOT EM". Next day I herded the flock home. Ever try herding a bunch of cats??? Another middle of the night call from a neighbor saying they were scratching his newly painted car because they loved sitting on the roof of it...…………….ON AND ON.....

Then they nested in strange places and had more...…

We learned to keep them home: clip their flight feathers back, keep the hens cooped up. Keep feed out near their water...…………...HAVE FUN. They are beautiful and yes that KAA....AHHHHHHHH....Is a one of a kind..God bless...……...

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Ha! just about right. had six of them roosting on the TV antenna standing on the cars and tractors etc. one good thing to remember"They are good to EAT" i love guinea fowl though.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah scratching on the vehicles would not be a good thing. They will probably be in confinement a long time because of coyotes. They are beautiful though !! We think they would be a good addition to this old place.
I remember when we first were able to move back into my bil's childhood home after it had been restored. The front doors were open and the long hall was filled with furniture down the sides because not all rooms were ready but the other house had been sold- so in we moved... well I heard a strange noise and went and opened the 2 doors leading to the back of the hall and there.... standing in the hall with all of that old furniture, was a clucking barred rock hen. She went baaaaak baaaaaak wep wep wep... baaaaak bakk.. and just strutted around. For a brief second I was transported back in time to the middle 1800's ...That old floor and tall ceilings with the clucks echoing . for just that second, I felt back in another time . Peacocks give me that same feeling. guineas too !! - :) collie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peacock pix!

Several years ago we noticed this little guy following us around as we were harvesting some apples for friends.

He wasn't shy. We suspect he was a kids pet that parents brought out and dumped in the country when he got to be a nuisance.

P1540923rPeacockHelpsHarvest.JPG

Suspicions confirmed. He followed us back to the house and as shadows lengthened he insisted we let him into the guest bunkhouse because he couldn't spend the night outdoors. We told him sternly 'no way!'

After we went indoors and it was getting dark, he flew way up in the Redwood tree.

P1570397rPeacockAtCabinDoor.JPG

A few weeks later. It was his custom to run out and greet us every time we arrived.

60-P1560135rPeacockGreetC.JPG

But as he matured he got to be a real nuisance. Here I was trying to sleep in, until it was warm outside, but Mr Peacock screamed 'Come out to play' for what seemed like hours until I came out and took his picture. Reassured I hadn't forgotten him, he quieted down and went to stare in a window at us.

P1580746rPeacockWaitingOutside.JPG

And here he is showing off.

P1590017rPeacockFan&tractor.JPG

I also recorded a minute of video with sound, late at night. Many coyotes are howling then the peacock joined the chorus screaming right along with them too. At 9mb its too big to upload here - but it's hilarious to listen to.

He was with us for two years then disappeared. A couple of years later another one, immature and more shy, appeared. As he grew up he was cautiously friendly to us but he frightened the neighbors on both sides. One day County Dogcatcher Lady showed up. "Are you harboring a wild Peacock?" No. He stops by here but we've never ever fed him. She said she came out after the second call that he was dangerous, apparently he attacked one neighbor's sliding screen door after that neighbor quit feeding him daily.

I told dogcatcher lady I would have a stern talk with him to quit frightening people. She laughed, and left.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks! I'm looking forward to photos of yours as they mature. They really are awesome creatures.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Washing machine fix

I know this is waaaay off topic but things are sorta slow so thought I'd post about the washing machine fix. This is for a front loader and cost about $40. I just put new bearings in it and that part was really easy. The hard part was taking the drum out of the machine. They are really heavy with the counter weights on. Just mark anything and everything . maybe a couple more pictures tomorrow. That brown area on the tub is where the water reacted with the bad seal ,rusted the bearings and slowly leaked and squeaked. She runs very quietly now. I watched a video on how to do it but he dropped the ball on how to remove the shocks- theres a tab on both sides of them that must be pushed in - I used baby screwdrivers for that. Also took the top of the shocks loose at the tub and left the floor mounts attached. Also used a small scissor jack to raise up the tub enough to take loose two springs and the 2 big 2 1/2 g jugs with the caps tight, to help hold the tub as I cradled it out carefully . Will take off the weights next time ! . Necessity is the mother of invention = true . :) . collie

Attachments

• KIMG0268.jpg
    KIMG0268.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG0270.jpg
    KIMG0270.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 75
  • KIMG0271.jpg
    KIMG0271.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 74

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
YOU are someone so special!!!!!!!! Most on here have no idea. I am one of YOUR biggest admirers. Wish we had some kind of SUPER AWRD for what and how you do tings....God blesses US with YOU for sure...…….

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have used this fella for years https://fixitnow.com/

and these for parts https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts

i took my high end top loading washer apart once because the lower bearing and seal was leaking. i had to replace the tub and center shaft as a unit. it was suspended in all four corners by those shock absorbers also. i was amazed how flimsy it was built. my next washer i used the forum on those websites to ask the professionals who built the best machine and bought according to their advice. actually purchased a much cheaper machine and haven't had any more trouble.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Haha Thank ya'll for the kind words. Ya gotta do what you gotta do. So the story is that Sis and her family bought a new washer - was going to pay Lowes 20 to haul off the this old one but I d been studying on it and said I wanted it.. So now I have it fixed and ready ... for something.. maybe sell but probably keep for little niece and husband when they move back next year.
The video I watched is a guy in front of a yellow van . I downloaded it so have it on my computer- and not a link- but he said just to twist off the shocks-- which will tear them up in my case.. maybe why the ones he was showing were torn up and already off.
I like these guys too RepairClinic.com and ApplianceParts Pros. I just replaced a circuit board on the refrigerator after much research and now it is finally cooling properly- They showed how to do that at the appliance parts pro place and I also ordered the parts there.
If you are having trouble with your front loader draining, check the drain pump - You can find it on videos at youtube for your model . Mine was under the washer ,facing the front , behind that bottom panel, (the replacement pump was cheaper on amazon so if you have a pump with a broken impeller, look around for the best price. Once our pump's screen was clogged with stuff and it was a nail that broke the impeller the last time. collie

Last edited:

TRIBUTE100

Back Seat with Roll Cage for my RTV 900

I was looking through the Craigslist adds for ATV/UTV's and I came across this backseat with roll cage, three 4 point harnesses, that was made for a John Deere Gator 825i this guy had bought 6 years ago from UTVMA (Mountain Accessories) for a little over $1,700 so he could ride his grandchildren around. I checked out the UTVMA website and sure enough there were about $1,700, but they didn't have a unit that would fit a Kubota RTV. I did some measuring and decided I could retrofit it to my RTV 900. The picture shows my installation, a generous use of different sizes of muffler clamps, a 2" electrical conduit, heavy duty angle bracket, 1/2" threaded rods, channel iron, etc. The installation is very rigid. Some years ago I had used some Chevy truck seats with self contained seat/shoulder belts mounted securely in the bed, but they were not legal for US Forest Service trails. So I'm hoping this unit will meet their criteria. After I got it installed I had to take it out to move retaining wall block and some other chores. It only takes about 30 minutes to install-remove two muffler clamps and the 1/2" threaded rods.
By the way, I only paid $300 for it and he threw in two very nice ATV/motorcycle helmets. Sure can't beat that deal. Our grand kids are going to love it !

Attachments

• P1050841.jpg
    P1050841.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 55

TRIBUTE100

I've got a 2010 RTV 900. I'm trying to find a circuit that is live(w/12volts) only when the engine is running. I want to use it to activate a relay to run a 12 volt fan only when the engine is running.
The only terminal that I can find that is live when the engine is running is at the terminal connected to a temperature switch (located right above the alternator) that senses the coolant temp. But as so as the radiator fan turns on, that terminal loses power.
I have two unused connector plugs under the fuse compartment panel, but they are live even with the key off. They are connected to fuse #5(10amp) marked Hazard and fuse #12(15amp) marked Work Light. My RTV has neither off those features. I will use one of those to connect the fan to but I want to be sure that the fan cannot operate unless the engine is running so I don't run down the battery.

Thanks for any help.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My machines had a couple of unused plugs taped with blue tape under the hood and I believe one under the bed. I don't know if they are continuous or not though. Is this fan for extra cooling of the engine or for passenger comfort? . collie

Status
Not open for further replies.