How much fun can I have in 3 hrs with 1-2 gals of diesel??

Missy

:wink:

OK- I'll admit it... My first time out on Baby Boomer was an absolute hoot! Mike wasn't home- I wanted to surprise him. :sorry:

The horses haven't recovered yet; the bunnies that used to (operative word is "used") live under the brush pile died of stroke; we have the neatest manure heap on the Eastern Seaboard; and for a drought-striken area- we got an awful lot of churned up mud in the paddock. Ain't life grand?? Mike was thrilled when he went out in the dark to feed the horses that night... he was wearing sneakers. :shitHitsFan:

And while we have mud in the paddock- there wasn't (for at least an hour or so) any horse $h!t. Have you ever noticed how while you clean a cat's litter box they're waiting for you to finish so they can use it? Horses are no diff... as soon as I opened the gate to let 'em back in... tails went up and the piles piled up. But it was sure nice to see it scaped clean for the first time in a long time...

But mastering (OK that's still questionable) the FEL and the box blade took a while. I'll admit- there's probably as much dirt as manure in the first few loads :hide: . But all in all, I'm a learn-from-my-mistakes (as well as watching other's "OPM") kinda-kid, so now I know (sorta). Definitely easier to box blade it first into a pile, the use the FEL.:pat:

We've also added a dump trailer (our little pull behind for the ZTR is too small) to the list- too many runs back and forth to the pile in the back corner of the property otherwise.

Playing back in the manure pile for a bit first was good too- turning over 5 yr old composted manure revealed some pretty rich stuff. Any body got a garden???

Just thought you might want to know how much fun I'm having! Can't wait to get the auger...

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just think how much fun you could have with 5 - 6 gallons of diesel :yum:

You may not realize, but you have a nice diesel powered wheelbarrow there.

Great for hauling hay. Even pretty good at moving water out to the paddocks. Just be careful and don't dump it out :pat:

Jim

UncleBuck

:wink:

OK- I'll admit it... My first time out on Baby Boomer was an absolute hoot! Mike wasn't home- I wanted to surprise him. :sorry:

The horses haven't recovered yet; the bunnies that used to (operative word is "used") live under the brush pile died of stroke; we have the neatest manure heap on the Eastern Seaboard; and for a drought-striken area- we got an awful lot of churned up mud in the paddock. Ain't life grand?? Mike was thrilled when he went out in the dark to feed the horses that night... he was wearing sneakers. :shitHitsFan:

And while we have mud in the paddock- there wasn't (for at least an hour or so) any horse $h!t. Have you ever noticed how while you clean a cat's litter box they're waiting for you to finish so they can use it? Horses are no diff... as soon as I opened the gate to let 'em back in... tails went up and the piles piled up. But it was sure nice to see it scaped clean for the first time in a long time...

But mastering (OK that's still questionable) the FEL and the box blade took a while. I'll admit- there's probably as much dirt as manure in the first few loads :hide: . But all in all, I'm a learn-from-my-mistakes (as well as watching other's "OPM") kinda-kid, so now I know (sorta). Definitely easier to box blade it first into a pile, the use the FEL.:pat:

We've also added a dump trailer (our little pull behind for the ZTR is too small) to the list- too many runs back and forth to the pile in the back corner of the property otherwise.

Playing back in the manure pile for a bit first was good too- turning over 5 yr old composted manure revealed some pretty rich stuff. Any body got a garden???

Just thought you might want to know how much fun I'm having! Can't wait to get the auger...
Life with Horses got a whole lot easier with that tractor , it did for me when I bought my tractor . Enjoy and be safe with your Horses and your new "MACHINE" :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, like Buck said, the job will get easier each time you do it. Box Blade take awhile to learn, forever to master (I'm sure not there yet). Practice practice priatice. :D :thumb: After all, we all like seat time. :thumb:

Yep, like Buck said, the job will get easier each time you do it. Box Blade take awhile to learn, forever to master (I'm sure not there yet). Practice practice priatice. :D :thumb: After all, we all like seat time. :thumb:

And with the way diesel is going up...HOPEFULLY the job can be done quicker and therefore cheaper...:D

jbrumberg

Missy and Mike:

As I probably said earlier- "Use your tractor safely and well", but I forgot to add "and have FUN :D." Practice, practice, and more practice is the key to effective attachment operation. I can admit that after all the years I have had operating tractors and attachments and people really (and myself included :rolleyes: ) really believe I know what I am doing I usually do some "bonehead" manuever :eek: and prove everyone wrong :pat: . Never, never get too comfortable with your tractor and equipment- that's when accidents happen (compounded by heat, dehydration, noise, feeling rushed and fatigued) :eek: . Have fun with your tractor, keep us posted, and send pictures. Jay :letitsnow:

Missy

I think the best part will be watching Mikey have his first turn at it. LOL. :yum: I'm just glad he wasn't there to watch my first, err two, hours.

I think we may head out to AGSUPPLY for the auger tomorrow. Found another 2 broken posts on the fence line. We'll probably pick up some grass seed too.

And you're right about things being easier with the horses, but they can still outrun the Boomer.

Missy

So we got the RC 5ft mower deck- opted for the Kodiak model. Structurally it was stronger than the King Kutter- it was 11 ga v. 12, and was made with better framing members. It's also made in the US. Parts are also available in AG Sup. Both models were shear bolt only.

We got an auger too- sweet... Ran through our clay and soil like pudding. No prob. Kinda fun to wrestle with it though... Mike welded a pad eye on the top today for hoisting. We're using a sawhorse until we can put in something like we saw on another thread.

So far we've knocked out 3 stumps and releveled the ground; cut down ALL the stuff that's overgrown the pond; and a few other odds and ends. We're planning on getting some seed down ASAP. Yee hah.

jbrumberg

Missy & Mike:

I believe that you can purchase a slip clutch for your Kodiak a lot depends on the style of PTO shaft drivelines on your unit. The available Kodiak literature gives me the impression that they are pretty solid units. Good score :D! Jay :)

firejake

Missy:
I can relate to the first hours of :hide: I destrouyed trees, bushes, rock piles, you name it. Almost got my state car but missed thank goodness:pat:.
How long before you and Mikey fight over using the boomer?:rolleyes: Good luck and be safe. Dennis

Missy

Missy & Mike:

I believe that you can purchase a slip clutch for your Kodiak a lot depends on the style of PTO shaft drivelines on your unit. The available Kodiak literature gives me the impression that they are pretty solid units. Good score :D! Jay :)

Hi Jay- If we're not bustin' through any shear pins or bogging down the mower, do you think we need one? AG SUP carries them.

Missy

Missy

Missy:
I can relate to the first hours of :hide: I destrouyed trees, bushes, rock piles, you name it. Almost got my state car but missed thank goodness:pat:.
How long before you and Mikey fight over using the boomer?:rolleyes: Good luck and be safe. Dennis

Oh there's no fighting... it's MY tractor! Although I caught him merrily drilling holes with the auger yesterday... WHADDA NERVE! So I've hidden the keys :yum: . He's retaliating by hiding my Harley keys... like I wouldn't take his Harley keys in return- DOH!:yum: How manure can we get??:respect:

Actually it's all in good fun!