Flap for front of bed

Groundsmechanic

So I pulled about 10 gallons of leaves and mulch out from the engine area on one of our X1100c units. I'm surprised that nothing has caught fire yet with all this crap in there. It is obviously coming over the front bed rail between the cab and bed. I don't know how Kubota hasn't realized this isn't good and put a flap on there but they haven't.

I have some heavy rubber sheet and stainless flat stock and I was going to make a flap to keep the stuff out but was looking to see if anybody else has done this already or not.

I see Nevadablue was doing something similar but there were no pictures visible in the thread from 2015.

I have two of these to do.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when i bought my x1100c i got a real good deal because the previous owner had caught it on fire. i just recently had the rear axle recall done and while they had it they installed a red rubber silicone flap above the engine.

Groundsmechanic

There was a recall about this for the x1100C and a rubber flap was added by the dealer.

There is a rubber flap over part of the engine that was on there when new, but it doesn't keep the crap from going over the bed rail and into the engine bay. Unless that is what you are talking about?

ovrszd

I'd be curious to see a solution as well??

Be very hard to design effectively and still allow the bed to tilt.

I built a bed rack for mine with a "headache" rack that has minimized this problem considerably. I haul a lot of large loads of dirt.

For some reason I can't seem to attach pics this morning, sorry.

Groundsmechanic

I'd be curious to see a solution as well??

Be very hard to design effectively and still allow the bed to tilt.

I built a bed rack for mine with a "headache" rack that has minimized this problem considerably. I haul a lot of large loads of dirt.

For some reason I can't seem to attach pics this morning, sorry.

We had one UTV, I don't remember the brand, that had a rubber flap that kept crap out of the engine bay but was flexible so the bed could tilt.

hellasmania

Interested in seeing any recall pics of the solution.
My RTV-X900 and RTV-500 both collect a lot of debris over engine. I am as well surprise that the leaves/hay haven't ignited yet.

Thanks

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Utv hitchworks has a bulkhead bed extension that looks like it would work well for keeping debris from falling between cab and bed

ovrszd

That could easily be duplicated. Is it simple rubber or is it multiple ply cord material? I wonder if it is heat resistant? Also wonder why they didn't go all the way across? Wouldn't trash still fall off the passenger side of the material and end up on the engine?

Thanks for the pic!!!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I didn't have to pay for this flap. it was part of an upgrade that KTC put out a couple years ago that i didn't take my RTV in to the dealer to be installed. the dealer put all of the recalls and TSB stuff on it when they had it in to replace the rear hubs. so if your machine doesn't have one and you want it then just call your dealer. it is made of red high temp silicone.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I don't haul loose leaves or hay or anything like that so i don't have a problem with stuff fallin on top of the engine. if i did i would definitely put an extension or headboard on the front of the bed to prevent stuff from falling down there. I also lift my bed quite often and check the oil and when i do i look for fire hazards and correct the problem then.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is what I rotated for you. Looks like you fixed them yourself. but here are the rotated pics just in case. These kind of pics it's not so obvious which way is correct.

Attachments

• Rotate90cw1.jpg
    Rotate90cw1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 96

Groundsmechanic

Here is what I rotated for you. Looks like you fixed them yourself. but here are the rotated pics just in case. These kind of pics it's not so obvious which way is correct.

Thanks. I changed the app I used to send the photos to my computer and that ended up fixing the problem for the most part. The first picture with the mulch didn't rotate properly even with the new app but you rotated it to where it needed to be. Thank you.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You are welcome. I removed all but the one rotated pic to avoid confusion.

tfdr1

My X900 has a piece that catches all the stuff but I'm definitely going to cut a strip of stall mat to put across the top to try stopping it from getting down there in the first place.

Dave

Attachments

• 20170524_165106.jpg
    20170524_165106.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 88

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
I am in the process of making a rubber strip across the front of the bed like Groundsmechanic but I could not find apiece of rubber stripping. So I purchased a roll of 9' garage door seal. I turned it upside down so that the beveled edge points up. I carefully line it up so there is tension on the door seal as the bed is let down.

I will take pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.