RTV PLows

ItBmine

So I'm still researching my RTV purchase. I have read a few threads regarding how some people favor the Boss plows over the Kubota plows.

Can we go over this a bit again? Is there a big difference in price between them?

And why do you favor one over the other? Does one have a better mount system over the other?

I also read on the Boss web site that theirs has it's own power pack.
Are the Kubota plows the same or do they use the RTV's hydraulics?

ItBmine

Just to add to this.....I'm looking for the most affordable way to have a vee plow.
I have no plans of adding a snow blower or other implements, so I don't need any fancy quick hitch or PTO. I have the tractor for that.

Just want to put a blade on for winter for quick cleanups and take it off for the summer.

foxalaska

Search for "Kubota V Plow" thread on this site. Answers all your questions. Tried to link it and failed. Maybe some guru here can provide the link. I looked at the Kubota v-plow and found it to be more expensive and not near as well built as the Boss. I'm going with Boss at this point. Kubota does use onboard hydraulics but requires plumbing and quick couplers(which is always a leak waiting to happen).

ItBmine

Thanks. I did try, but can't find any real detailed info and Kubota's web sites suck. There is a whole bunch of plows listed for the 1100 but no details at all. Just width and model number.

Do you have to get that expensive K-Connect setup to run the Kubota plow or is there a simpler hydraulic vee plow for them?

You would think the Kubota plow would be cheaper if it uses it's own hydraulics off the RTV?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I can't speak about the Kubota plows. I have a X900 and a Boss V-Plow and love it. I've had it for three winters now and it is amazing. I have the worksite tires and have some steep hills and always been able to keep plowing. When we get ice I put chains on the rear. I plow over 1.5 miles of dirt road and 300 feet of elevation change. Make sure you go with the heavy duty front suspension!

foxalaska

Thanks. I did try, but can't find any real detailed info and Kubota's web sites suck. There is a whole bunch of plows listed for the 1100 but no details at all. Just width and model number.

Do you have to get that expensive K-Connect setup to run the Kubota plow or is there a simpler hydraulic vee plow for them?

You would think the Kubota plow would be cheaper if it uses it's own hydraulics off the RTV?

I got a quote on Kubota's v-plow when I bought my 1100C and I believe it included K-Connect. Close to 7 grand. Boss was 5 grand with some extra lighting. These are Fairbanks Alaska prices. Boss's quality is much better. The electrically run pump seems to work well on pickup trucks so I'm sure they're fine with the smaller RTV plow. Not sure what the alternator rating is, may not be enough for continuous operation. I think I'll just run an extra battery, such as an 8d. Extra weight in the bed can't be a bad thing in the winter. Run welding leads with plugs to make it easy to remove.

ItBmine

Thanks for the comments. Next time I am in town I'll have to go price the Boss setup.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy that whole K-Connect setup.

ItBmine

That worked. Thanks foxalaska. I hadn't seen that one.

Sounds like most favor the Boss. So I'll have to look into that before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with BiffNH. I have a 1100 and a Boss blade. After three years of snow plowing with it... no complaints or regrets. Although a bit pricey, it has held up to some hours of use. Last winter after heavy snowfall, I cleared my drive as wee as 7 others. I have the worksite tires and sometimes put about 10 cinder blocks in the bed. I only used the rear chains the first year. And, I can usually plow in 2WD. Kinda fun plowing snow with the heater turned on low and my jacket sitting on the seat beside me. As a side note: For too many years to recall, I plowed snow with my 2WD International 340 (no cab) with a blade on back operated off the 3ph. Anyone who has done this knows how easy it is to get snow build up under the tractor. That's why you always carried a shovel with you.

I use a Boss V-plow with my x1100c, and the combination works fine. Hook up only requires a mechanical and electric connection. I put 240 lbs of sand bags in the back, and although the vehicle has a lot of yaw play in heavy snow, it does the job.

harpoonalt

I have the Kubota straight blade commercial plow. It was 5 grand. I thought about the vee plow, but I’m very happy with the kubota plow. They add a second hydraulic pump and the control is on the shifter. With the dampeners up front, the plow doesn’t squat the front at all. It’s fast, raises up very high and is extremely well built. No regrets!

Attachments

• 0F58C3D5-9CC7-407A-9706-A71639CEB9B3.jpg
    0F58C3D5-9CC7-407A-9706-A71639CEB9B3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 118
  • 96491737-941B-4814-8BB9-F1C3149A984F.jpg
    96491737-941B-4814-8BB9-F1C3149A984F.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 119

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn. Y'all are talking $5-7K for a plow. Around here, that'll buy you a pretty new ATV with a plow or an older pickup with a plow. Me... I just can't justify. I buy a new Carhartt arctic coat and a baseball cap and that's all I need.

williemakit

I have a Western Impact V-plow on my 1100. I checked into the boss plow and found that it was 50 lbs heavier then the western and a lot more $$$. this is my second season with the western and have no complaints. I sit 400' off the road with a circle driveway with parking spaces and a motorcoach pad. Installation was real easy. the hardest part was routing the wires into the cab. I never checked on the kubota because I didn't want to deal with the hyd lines. Oh by the way, Western and Fisher are the same plow just different model names and paint color.

ItBmine

I forgot to look when I went to try one.....does the RTV1100X have a front receiver hitch?

I want to get the winch on the receiver and wire it front and back for the summer time use. Or does the plow mounts get in the way of this?

foxalaska

I forgot to look when I went to try one.....does the RTV1100X have a front receiver hitch?

I want to get the winch on the receiver and wire it front and back for the summer time use. Or does the plow mounts get in the way of this?

Yes they do.

628pm

Site Supporter
Here are a few pictures of the Boss V Plow on my 2014 x900. If I missed it whatever you purchase you need to have the heavy duty front end (struts and springs).

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 102

ItBmine

Thanks 628PM. How are the 900's? I've been looking at the 1100 cab, but wonder if I can save a bunch of money on a 900 with the cab panels and heater like yours?

I don't really need the air conditioning of the 1100 if I can take the doors off in the summer.