Now THAT wasn't fun at all

Well, one thing about living in the central part of Kentucky that I'd never think I would need to worry about WAS a hurricane.:hide:

That all changed last sunday (sept 14th) Hurricane Ike paid us a visit:eek:

We had a prediction of wind gusting to 30+ mph. NO ONE expected what was to follow. The wind started picking up around 9AM. By 10 we were getting gusts above 50MPH. Around noon, it really got to kicking. Averaging 75mph and occasionally above 85. The winds lasted for over 6 hours at those speeds. By late evening they started dying down. We never lost power, but the TV stations were reporting widespread damage and massive power outages. In the Louisville metro area (partially into southern Indiana) there were over 500,000 without electric. Trees down in huge numbers. Houses damaged or destroyed. It would take a couple days for everyone to really get a grip on how much damage.

8 days later there is still well over 30,000 without electric.

I went in to get an air filter for my chain saw last monday. The shop opened at 8:30AM. There were people lined up around the block. The shop also sold generators. He HAD 62 in stock when he opened. With-in 15 minutes they were sold out. One guy bought 4 10,000 watt models. Not sure what he PAID, but he immediately took 'em outside and started an imprompto auction. As I was leaving, he was selling one for over $4000!:eek:

There were 3 people killed in the storm and one electrical worker killed several days after when he was electrocuted. One of the fatalities on the day of the storm was an old buddy of mine. Frank Eicholtz of Charlestown Indiana was killed by a falling tree in his front yard. Frank was a pilot, flight instructor and crop duster. He taught me to fly back in the early 70's. He left behind a wife, 7 kids and 7 grandkids, along with a lot of grieving friends.

If there was a silver lining in this for me, it was the fact that I took advantage of dumb luck and removed 2 trees just the day before. They would have most likely ended up ON my house. Both silver maples, they would have easily crushed the house. Not sure why, but out of the blue we decided they needed to come down on the 13th. I was outside splitting wood when the wind started blowing.

It's easy to lose track of the fact that with all this damage, Texas got almost DOUBLE the wind speed and a LOT of rain. We didn't get the first drop. Minor miracle considering the number of roofs that were blown off.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
We went through the same weather here that you did. We are in Central Ohio. It was not fun at all.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It went through here also. We maintained power out here in the sticks but in town thousands lost their power and it was out for days. Ike was a monster.
My daughter in Chicago got the winds and rain. We were luck like FWJ and only got the winds.

urednecku

We can feel for all ya'll. It's only been 4 years since Charlie & gang (Frances & Jeanne) targeted central Florida. All three crossed within a few miles of our house, with Charlie going right over.
We are thankful there were no more deaths than there were.

FWJ, so sorry to hear about your friend.

And the guy re-selling, price gouging, that generator, should have been arrested. I have no problem with making a profit, but that is just NOT RIGHT, and I believe is illegal in Florida.

Bindian

Farmwithjunk,:tiphat:
Glad to hear y'all are okay with that little wind.:rolleyes: We are still recovering down here. I still see dump trucks and trailers with high side boards hauling off storm debris. The sadiest park of all this is that University of Texas Medical Branch in Galvestion (John Seely Hospital) is laying over around 3000 employees due to Ike damage. :eek:
hugs, Brandi