need a new chain saw ??

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
To bring you guys a bit up to date. I was sick of my Stihl 280 becoming hard to start and really NOT doing the cutting that it seemed to used to do. I have been sharpening the chains with one of those little universal cheapy grinders for chains that is available from Harbor and Northern tools. Yes I use a Stihl implement to measure, adjust, and file down the depth guage/raker...........
Did my research and really from what you guys said on here and looking at the difference between 60CC saws of Husquavarna and Stihl it is a hands down on the Husky stuff winning the HP vs weight ratio..........So......Yes got the budget figured out.

HMMMMM.......I have that new Stihl chain hangin on the wall over there still in the box. I may as well use it up before I break down and get the new saw. While I am doing that I guess I could blow out the air filter and check out the plug.......Air filter was to say the least BLOCKED UP. I dont see how that engine was even running. The plug
is the nicest chocolate brown with a nice gap you ever could want.

WOW........WOW.......WOW

A new machine that goes through a hickory log like you can't believe. Fanfreakingtastic for sure. Funny what a little maintenance done properly will do. What was indicated was to keep the filter clean but MOSTLY to sharpen the chair RIGHT..........

So.......did more research and got me an Oregon grinder..........SO much more thourough and correct than that el cheapo grinder and I KNOW IT IS DONE RIGHT. Cleaned a bunch of old chains and learned how to set the various angles they need and do the depth guage using the grinder.

WOW.............THE oldest crudiest chain cuts exactly like the new one.......FANTASTIC for sure.......Yes the grinder cost a bit but surely NOT as much as a new saw......BOY OH BOY OH BOY........got me a NEW acting saw for sure now.........LIFE IS GOOD.......God bless......Dennis

BaiJiu

Happy you figured it out Dennis, I for one get attached to my chain saws, I always have several and have specific jobs for each one.

pop58

I got the Oregon grinder also D&D. Ive had it for many years. Love it. Worth every penny.

Also just bought a new 260 to give my arms a break from the 660 for the medium stuff. My older 026 was getting a bit wore out after 30 years, but it still works.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So Glad -Great fix Dennis . :tiphat: That is wonderful news and goes to show that a little ingenuity still comes through with us folks past 50. We paid attention when our folks were in the same situation and made do with what they had and fixed it . :) I hope the young folks of today are paying attention to how we do things before we all kick the bucket... oh well, not happening much anymore.. The spark arrestor guard there with the muffler (screen) will sometimes clog too and will rob power. collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
oooops.......it's on 028 not whatever I put above........Hmmmm......Thanks there Miss Collie will look at that next time I have the saw on the bench. I just can't believe the difference that a really sharp chain makes. It's like night and day. When I was using the el cheapo grinder it would put out chips NOT powder; but golly the sharpening brings out a TRUE difference..........
Yes, like you, my father taught me so much about make-do, repair, and do without. Today, it's throw it away and get a new one. lol.....wish I was in the used appliance/machine sales repair business.........Get trade ins from dealers, repair/replace, and resell.......GOOOOD stuff.............Anyway, thanks........God bless......Dennis

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
oooops.......it's on 028 not whatever I put above........Hmmmm......Thanks there Miss Collie will look at that next time I have the saw on the bench. I just can't believe the difference that a really sharp chain makes. It's like night and day. When I was using the el cheapo grinder it would put out chips NOT powder; but golly the sharpening brings out a TRUE difference..........
Yes, like you, my father taught me so much about make-do, repair, and do without. Today, it's throw it away and get a new one. lol.....wish I was in the used appliance/machine sales repair business.........Get trade ins from dealers, repair/replace, and resell.......GOOOOD stuff.............Anyway, thanks........God bless......Dennis

Keep us informed about your thoughts on the sharpener. I have the same Stihl as you do and it still runs great after 22 years. One problem they had back a few years ago was the fuel line would crack slightly allowing air in the line making them run with no power. Possibly due to the alcohol in the fuel.

The reason I'm interested in your long term view is I had the same issue you had with sharpeners, that's why I still do mine by hand. They just didn't seem to get the same sharp top edge as you can get rolling the file upward.

If your experience remains positive, I'll buy one.

Glad you got it figured out. Bob

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure will Bob........I do maybe 20 plus a few true cords per year. From now until whenever I am out cutting perhaps 1 or 2 days per week. I tend to take my splitter to an area and work that area within a couple hundred feet of dead trees or RECENT downfall.......I use the bucket on the tractor to lift up to the level of the shelf/table on the splitter. Usually I will lift up 2 or 3 rounds and work off of that. On the other side of the work station is the RTV backed up and I throw it on there........Then it is up to the wood pile/soon to be shed........

So, Bob.....for now, I have used 3 of the resharpened chains and could not brag more than I am on the Oregon sharpener. I have yet to actually wear a sharpening down to dull; but rather I go into the dirt or yeeeeee GODS......a rock........On the one that this has not happened to I have perhaps cut one 24" hickory up into perhaps 14 or 15 rounds.........
What I really like about the sharpener is the accuracy of the grind, both in depth and angle...........Anyway, yes, I replaced the fuel line a few years ago. Am using some kind of green fuel line that they say is impervious to the ethanol mix.........Yes, I should use straight gas instead of ethanol mix but to get that, I have to make a special 10 mile trip and I just dont think to do it when I need it.........Anyway, God bless.......Dennis

BaiJiu

Dennis I try to only burn high test gas in my saws, I buy 25 liters at at time, it's easy to mix that way and it last me awhile. My Huskies call for the high test and I find it does makes a difference, the saws start better, run higher RPM's and I don't get much smoke or fumes, I ran out of HT a couple of times and had to mix and use some low test gas, didn't like it.

Kanook

Damn Ethanol Crap.....Had issues with chain saws, lawn mower, pressure washer etc. I didn't know how it was affecting my small engines and why until I came across info on this forum a couple of years ago. Forget who 1st brought up this subject, but...who ever you are ...a big Belated Thanks.

BaiJiu

You are right Kanook, ethanol is horrible crap forced on us by govt. I've read some articles on it recently and so far I haven't seen anything good about it. You have to pay attention at the pump to ensure you are getting non blended fuel.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
Find a small airport and ask them if you can buy fuel from them, 100 low lead they call it, will not go stale and best of all will not harm fuel lines and carb internals. You will need to readjust the mixture screws a little. Does not cost much more per gallon, good stuff.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Many marinas also sell pure gas.

Here's a site, broken out by State (or Canadian provinces) that have ethanol free gas.
EDIT TO ADD as I forgot to include the link.
http://pure-gas.org/

For our Northern members, some quick notes per that site:

• Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium grade gasoline is ethanol-free.
  • British Columbia: Chevron 94.
  • Ontario: Shell V-Power 91; Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Esso 91; Ultramar 91.
  • Quebec: Shell V-Power 91; Esso (all grades).

Last edited:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I have been using a Dremel type tool with a grinding stone to sharpening my chain saw chains. Results have been so-so. What model Oregon sharpeners are y'all using? Price?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, I tend to purchase tools based upon how well they function and NOT on silly name brand stuff. I truly believe in purchasing that one pays for what one gets.........that said I got one of these:

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/511AXBenchChainGrinder.htm

I forget what I paid; but just shop around. I think I got mine from Amazon as the freight is free for us. There are youtube videos about this machine and how to use it:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...TF-8&p=youtube oregon 511a chainsaw sharpener

Also there in more videos is a guy running a "copy" of a 511 that is sold by I think Northern or Harbor............YOU pay for what you get as for me, I get support, warranty, and none of the little problems that "copies" give one. lolol.......in that video notice the vibration and noise............Anyway.......

Again, I am totally satisfied and happy with what I have. Have NOW sharpened and tested 6 different chains and cannot be happier. I mentioned earlier that I had a new Stihl chain that shocked me so much and that I decided that I did not need a new saw but a better way to sharpen. I used that chain for the "setup" of the grinder for angles and depth of Stihl chains..........The information that comes with the grinder has LOTS of information for Oregon chains and their specs for grinder set up.......YES they are different.....Actually the Stihls are different but I gotta research their individual differences..........So........There YOU go Mr. Keifer......glad to help......God bless.....Dennis

BaiJiu

I would love to have one but just shy of $600 before tax, it's not going to happen. I guess I will continue with my files. They are a bit cheaper in the US but still very costly.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
hmmmmmm......looked it up on Amazon and LOTS cheaper than $600 and with free freight.......:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-511AX-Chain-Grinder-Sharpener/dp/B0000AX0CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395195146&sr=8-1&keywords=oregon+511ax+saw+chain+bench+grinder+sharpener[/ame]

Of course I don't know everything, but I do know for me, with tools ya get what ya pay for.........
God bless.....Dennis