need a new chain saw ??

BaiJiu

Yeah that's what I was talking about, you need a flat file to take them down I free hand the teeth but I use a guide for those. My guides have depths for soft or hard wood but I keep lots of chains so I always have two working chains one for each and just switch. Unless I am working a lot of blow down on one of my wood lots then I use several saws.

BaiJiu

Dennis, I like the Husky saws, most all the foresters here use them, however Stihl does make a good saw. I stick with Husky, I have several saws and most consumable parts are inter changeable, I don't have to keep as many spares.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too use Husqvarna saws.
A 365 for the big stuff. This is one of their bigger pro saws.
A 41 for quick, mid-sized stuff. Homeowners saw but does OK.
A 338XP for the small stuff. This is a small arborist saw. "Can" be operated with one hand.

Here's some wood in the back of my property that was cut down last week. I'll have a busy Spring/Summer.

Attachments

• CIMG9869.jpg
    CIMG9869.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG9872.jpg
    CIMG9872.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG9876.jpg
    CIMG9876.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG9880.jpg
    CIMG9880.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 64

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Good Harvest bczoom,
Family will have a good time with that paycheck !!!

....... two guns :dancing:

.... and thanks for the pictures !!!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Is that a Tiger Cat I see ?

They are good quality machines in the timber industry !!!

........ two guns

Attachments

• TigerCat.jpg
    TigerCat.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 62

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great photos zoom, not much snow in your wood lot, nice to work like that.
Actually, there is almost a foot of snow. What you're seeing is several inches of wood chips that were generated when they shredded the tree tops.

Is that a Tiger Cat I see ?
I don't know the brand. It was one kick-butt stump grinder though.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
Depth gauges.

I was shown by a fella that cuts a lot of wood how he goes about getting all of the depth gauges set and it is very important to get them the same or you will end up with a bouncing bar. Take a short straight piece of something and lay it on top of the highest part of the tooth, very important, and go to the next tooth and do the same then use your depth gauge to measure down to where you have .025 clearance. I use an electric rotary tool with a small grinding wheel to get the job done. The .025 will really wake up the cutting a chain will do.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Actually, there is almost a foot of snow. What you're seeing is several inches of wood chips that were generated when they shredded the tree tops.QUOTE]

Down here, they harvest the trees. And the chips that are generated is throwed ( or blown) into a trailer and hauled to a "chip mill" ....
Where they process it for many other items.

Bet that will be some rich soil in a few years to come. That is good !!!

...... two guns

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Cutting the Guages on the saw makes working a saw much easier and faster.

Some will tell you it dulls the teeth faster. Not really, a sharp blade will cut only so much wood anyway until it needs re-sharpen.
Let your saw work. Don't let your saw work the snot out you.

If you doubt this, take a older chain, cut your guages down and sharpen your teeth good. Give it a shot......

You will be impressed. Get them RPM's up and come on down. It will cut !!!!

Have all the guages cut down on all chains here.

....... two guns

Thanks Two Guns. That is very helpful info.. I have a chain I am going to try that on. I have a Husky 340 that I use to cut trees off the fence etc. There is no longer paint on the bar because I have used it so much. I do turn over the bar when I sharpen the chain. I use the Tanaka cycle oil and a proper amount of seafoam as well.... collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have spent a many of days on a Feller Bunchers. Skidders, Dozers, Havesters.
Oh yes I do remember toting a heavy ass chain saw thew the woods cutting down the trees.
Back then, the saws along was heavy and bulky. Saw get a little slow on cutting. Find a stump and
sit down and file the blades. Arms at night would cramp up so much from the viberation of some of the saws.

We were lucky though. We had engine powered saws. Poor folks way back there worked there ass off
cutting down just one tree before the power saws. Whoa, I get out of breath thinking about that !!!!
That must of been some tuff men back in them days.

So far more advanced that the methods we used to have to do it.
Been involved with the timber industry one way or the other most of my life.
Most what my family has done.

Also have uncles and cousins that are wide open in timber.
Market was so much bigger until they closed some of our mills here.
International Paper closed, and some other timber saw mills. It was a shame.
Hurt many of folks and business' .....

......... two guns
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvG2wh4YbE[/ame]

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Down here, they harvest the trees. And the chips that are generated is throwed ( or blown) into a trailer and hauled to a "chip mill" ....
Where they process it for many other items.

Bet that will be some rich soil in a few years to come. That is good !!!

...... two guns
These chips are too far away from a road to make it worthwhile to get them out.

The area they're clearing will be a food plot by summer and my tree stands will be near there come fall.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
These chips are too far away from a road to make it worthwhile to get them out.

The area they're clearing will be a food plot by summer and my tree stands will be near there come fall.

This is going to be a blessing to you bczoom !!!!

razerface

I am a stihl fan. I own 3 of them right now, and some other stihl engine stuff. I bought a weedeater(stihl) last summer. Stihl was doubling your warranty period if you bought some synthetic oil with the saw or whatever you bought. I have to buy oil anyway,,,so they doubled my warranty for free. Check,,it might still be that way.

i love ms361 saws.

razerface

hillbilly from louisiana stopped down at the local hardware store.
He saw the shiney new chainsaw in the window, with a sign saying,,,"cut twice as much wood per day"

Wow,,,he went and sold some chickens and 2 goats,,,ran back to the hardware store and got that shiney chainsaw.

Well,,,about 2 weeks later, he came back to the hardware looking purt neer wore out. Whats the problem?,, inquired the clerk.

It's that danged chain saw! replied 2pistols,,,,(no relation to anyone here,,,,)
I can't cut any more wood then i could with my old axe! I shoulda stuck with the axe since it was paid for.

Let me see it, says the clerk. He takes it over to the bench,,,pulls the rope,,and brrroooom, it takes off.

2pistols,,,jumps behind the counter to hide when the chainsaw started,,,shouting,,,,,,"what the hell is all that noise!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good stuff fellas........Wow, BC that is some timber for sure. Yes, you are totally blessed with those wood chips giving you good undercover for the future. Here, there is ZERO market it seems for hardwood lumber type logs. Yes, they will come clear them off but actually you kinda end up paying them after you clean up the brush and get the land where it is useable. Pine is a different story as is poplar; but for me, those are weeds..........ANYWAY..........Thanks guys.....God bless......Dennis

razerface

Here, there is ZERO market it seems for hardwood lumber type logs. Yes, they will come clear them off but actually you kinda end up paying them after you clean up the brush and get the land where it is useable.
I had some logging done in our woods couple years ago,,,found out I could have made more money with less mess if I had cut it all for firewood instead of logs. I am not logger friendly after what they did to my woods. I will do it myself next time,,,which is how it always seems to turn out when i hire anyone.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The logs I took pictures of are going to be my firewood. I agree that they're worth more as firewood compared to what a logger will give you.

razerface

The logs I took pictures of are going to be my firewood.

I love burning wood. My furnace has not kicked on except a couple times early in the morning on those cold days,,,when I was too lazy to get up early and put more wood in. I heat about 3200 sq ft with a wood stove in the basement,,,no electric needed. The air circulates naturally through the house. Burning red oak and ash.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I had some logging done in our woods couple years ago,,,found out I could have made more money with less mess if I had cut it all for firewood instead of logs. I am not logger friendly after what they did to my woods. QUOTE]

It all depends on your logging contractor. Just like anything else, you have monsters.
Don't know about up there.
But down here. The WHOLE tree is used up. When a tree is cut. The logs go the lumber mills. The rest usally goes to the paper mills. Smaller things and chips.
There is no industry down here for firewood like it is up there. No logger down here goes to the woods for the reason of harvesting firewood. ( independant people do ) It's either logs or chips and pulp wood.
Then, when it's all done and harvested. The logging contractor cleans up the roads. Makes sure the landowner is happy.

Sorry you worked a monster. It would have given me a bad taste in my mouth also. ......
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MciRdKHZYNU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8v1e0uHXmU[/ame]

Chippers sure make things much nicer !!!!

.............. two guns

Last edited: