Lack of power

Philt

I have a 1978 case 1370 that lacks power until it has been running for an hour or more any ideas?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is a strange one. It warms up after 15 minutes running or else I'd guess cold natured. Does the engine sound the same during the 1st hour as opposed to after you have power?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are we talking drive train power / pulling power or PTO power or both?

Philt

Low pulling power, not sure about fuel pressure but it will rev up fine when I push in on the clutch

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So does the engine bog down when you are trying to pull or have any other symptoms during the 1st hour?
If I understand right with no load the engine will rev just fine during the first hour of work. But under load the engine bogs down and might even die? Is this accurate?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was kind of thinking along the same line as Doc. I'm wondering if it's something in the hydraulics.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Grasping at straws here ....but could it be vapor lock? When it heats up it somehow clears itself. The heat of the engine has to have something to do with it.

Philt

I wouldn't think it would take an hour though. I almost think it might have something to do with the turbo but I'm not sure.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know, I would not think it would take an hour either. :confused:

Why would you think turbo? Exhaust gases heat up much faster than after an hour of operation.

BC, I'm not following why you thought hydraulics .... care to expand on that thought?

Philt

I just thought that if the turbo was not functioning properly that would explain the loss of power.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just thought that if the turbo was not functioning properly that would explain the loss of power.
But then what makes it work after an hour of running? After that 1st hour can you run the tractor all day with no issues? Interesting problem, I wish I could be of more help.

Philt

I just bought this tractor about 2 weeks ago. It had a small fuel leak after the lift pump that I fixed, the previous owner replaced the lift pump and changed fuel filters. I may change the fuel filters again. I'm now thinking that it might have been coincidental that it started working after an hour. I ran it for about 2 hours the other night and it never seemed to gain the power.

Philt

I'm not sure, I don't know if his transmission is slipping or if the motor bogs down. I would think that his problem wouldn't be bogging down the motor like mine is, but I will do more research.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just bought this tractor about 2 weeks ago. It had a small fuel leak after the lift pump that I fixed, the previous owner replaced the lift pump and changed fuel filters. I may change the fuel filters again. I'm now thinking that it might have been coincidental that it started working after an hour. I ran it for about 2 hours the other night and it never seemed to gain the power.
I think it would be a blessing in disguise if it did it all the time. If that is the case you'll be able to zero in on the problem. I would double check that fuel leak fix and replace the filters. Cheap and easy to start with. Could be the fuel pump too.