Grill Guard for Kioti DK40

Bob V

Has anyone built a grill guard for their tractor. I punched a hole in my grill this weekend when moving some tree limbs. Figure it is time to build a guard. Thinking of using heavy 1/2" expanded metal to build a guard, mount with bolts, paint to match tractor.

Would appreciate seeing pictures of what other more experience tractor guys have built.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you will give.

urednecku

1st, welcome to da forums.
2nd, yea, I did that, too. I drive a Kubota M7040 with a killer grapple on the front. Clearing an old orange grove a limb nearly took my battery and radiators out. A friend of mine runs the best machine shop in town, had him weld some 'catwalk' (similar to expanded metal, but much stouter. over 'Bota's excuse of a grill guard. He also covered the back of the 'claw', and that works great. Sorry I don't have a better pic, I'll try to get one tomorrow to post. Maybe you'll be able to get an idea from this pic till I can do better.

Attachments

• P_00366.jpg
    P_00366.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P_00587.jpg
    P_00587.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 61

Bob V

Grill Guard

Thanks for the reply. Di think fo the cat walk material. I'll check your pictures tomorrow.

urednecku

Sorry Bob, I forgot to get 'em. Blame it on ADD, old age, or just forgetfulness!! Will try to remember again, I'll be working around it tomorrow getting the hay equipment ready to go again in a week or so.
Any how, ya want something pretty heavy, I think heaver than expanded.

Bob V

Understand about getting old. I forget also. I am interested in seeing what you have done. That will give me some direction for the project.

I am fairly new to tractors. Purchased a used Kioti DK40SE HST with cab, front end loader, backhoe, and several implements a few weeks ago. I'm learning as I go. Yes, I did break the lower grill while cleaning out a fence row with the FEL. Learning is a slow and expensive process.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi .I am intending on building a grill guard for my Kioti DK40 se one day also. This is a picture of the heavy grill guard on the bil's old butane JD 4020. You can see that it had a very hard encounter to rip that expanded metal. It is made of heavy angle iron and the expanded metal. It bolts on to the front also . Years ago, I read about a farmer having a load on his bucket and it rolled off , down the hood and got him. Be careful out there. I have almost had that happen with the extended reach skid steer when I was cleaning up storm damage but fortunately have a heavy steel roof and it rolled on off the back. I was sure glad it had that extra bracing for the extra reach. I guess it's not my time yet. bordercollie

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 47

urednecku

Bob, sorry it took so long. To be honest, been real busy, but finally remembered & got a chance to get 'em here.

Attachments

• P_00924.jpg
    P_00924.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P_00928.jpg
    P_00928.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P_00929.jpg
    P_00929.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 40

urednecku

A couple of the grapple in case you are interested. It's welded to the 'brush guard' and the back side of the grapple. Nothing any bigger than the holes have came thru it, yet.

Attachments

• P_00926.jpg
    P_00926.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40
  • P_00927.jpg
    P_00927.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 8-22-10 285.jpg
    8-22-10 285.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 39

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a great grill Urednecku. I like the spring pin too. Thanks for posting. bordercollie

Bob V

Grill Guard

Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to start building this week.

Again thanks.

Bob V.