Gin Poles On Trailer?

mobilus

Shinnlinger, I like it, but it isn't in the budget. Also, I wonder if that ATV could actually tow that trailer loaded that heavy...referring to the pictures in the ad.

I have good drill stem pipe that I'll use for the gin poles. People around here use that stuff for everything! :bb: It's strong.

I may need to look at a buddy's truck setup to see how he did the top end. Most gin poles are leaned forward over a headache rack, but I've seen some that separate to lay flat. That is limited by the length of the bed, obviously. But on a 16' trailer, I think 12' poles would be plenty...at a 45 degree tilt-back angle, that should give me 4 or 5 feet of clearance at the back of the trailer.

I'll rustle up a camera and chronicle this when I start.:Tip-Hat2: This is the trailer to get the treatment.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 97

shinnlinger

Mobilus,

I too share your concerns on what an ATV can haul, but The grapple isn't for you, it's for Dougster...That said rusted old log trucks can be had for cheap in these parts grapples included (and then I would have another old truck to play with!)...

If I had need and the time (and the $$$) I bet i could rig one up for not a whole lot, but I have none of these things so my FANTASTIC idea (to me anyway) will have to wait.

What are you trying to move again? My first link shows a log lifter, I have seen similiar on the same site but in an A frame that slides into the back stake pockets that pivots forward in the same fashion as the one in the link, but would provide more clearance for other things and removable to boot. Another guy on the site has one that can mount on the trailer but also can be fitted with wheels and he can roll it across a lawn that shouldn't be driven on or into the woods to winch on end of the log up and then the whole thing gets pulled to the trailer like an arch to be loaded in the fashion of the link.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, If you went to your local steel supply place they would sell you 2ft long (or whatever) peices of 2x4 tubing for your stake pockect plan. They might even punch those holes in it at a very resonable rate(sure beats drilling in steel yourself). If so have them punch one toward the bottem so you can bolt on a trailer jack style foot. Drill holes in your existing stake pockests and you are in bussiness.
This is one item that I haven't discussed with the local steel fab shop because I always remained hopeful that I'd find someone selling them on eBay or be able to make one up myself even without getting into the welding thing. There are so many parts available out there for all kinds of trailers that it seemed inevitable that I would run into the right parts someday. But so far... no real luck.

And BTW... Recently, I bought a nifty rebuilt Ridgid cut-off saw for short money... VERY heavy-duty... so while I can't weld yet, I sure can cut! :thumb:
Speaking of bussiness how are you at stone walls? I hear there is $$$ to be had doing that south of the cape. Here is my plan to save your body. Take your dump trailer and mount on the front a mini grapple like the one I linked too earleir and run it off your dump trailer hydraulics. YOu may need a bigger resevoir and higher gpm pump, but the grapple could pick up all sorts of stuff and actually place stones with a fair degree of accuracy. SUre you would have to lever and budge them from time to time, but what do you think? Foolproof plan right? ... Yeah I know a little far fetched, but dreams are cheap.
I've actually had several discussions with folks relating to the "harvesting" of field stone and helping out with homeowner stone wall projects. So far no actual money as the local illegal alien community seems to have a total lock on that work. While tractors and backhoes can obviously be put to good use in that regard, so can much cheaper ancient rusting Bobcats ("ARB's) being driven by unlicensed, uninsured, cash-under-the-table illegal aliens. :rolleyes: Seeing as how I am licensed, am insured, keep legitimate records and pay my taxes... there is no way on earth I can compete in that labor-intensive specialty area.

Dougster

This is one item that I haven't discussed with the local steel fab shop because I always remained hopeful that I'd find someone selling them on eBay or be able to make one up myself even without getting into the welding thing. There are so many parts available out there for all kinds of trailers that it seemed inevitable that I would run into the right parts someday. But so far... no real luck.

And BTW... Recently, I bought a nifty rebuilt Ridgid cut-off saw for short money... VERY heavy-duty... so while I can't weld yet, I sure can cut! :thumb:

I've actually had several discussions with folks relating to the "harvesting" of field stone and helping out with homeowner stone wall projects. So far no actual money as the local illegal alien community seems to have a total lock on that work. While tractors and backhoes can obviously be put to good use in that regard, so can much cheaper ancient rusting Bobcats ("ARB's) being driven by unlicensed, uninsured, cash-under-the-table illegal aliens. :rolleyes: Seeing as how I am licensed, am insured, keep legitimate records and pay my taxes... there is no way on earth I can compete in that labor-intensive specialty area.

Dougster

Darn...I thought I had a place to get rid of...oops I mean offer my excellent piles of stone to...:D

Dougster

Old Member
Darn...I thought I had a place to get rid of...oops I mean offer my excellent piles of stone to...:D
I'm w/ you Paul...When stones become a hot commodity I am IN THE $$$
One guy last year had the chutzpah to call me up and ask me if I "did stone walls." I explained precisely how I could help him build his wall and what it would cost. He listened to my sales pitch without comment. Then he launched into his own sales pitch. He said he would ALLOW me to come to his property and "harvest" fieldstone for a mere $39.00 a ton. :rolleyes:

Translated into English: "Come clean my property of these gosh-darned rocks and PAY ME TO DO IT"!!! ;)

I kid you not. :rolleyes:

Dougster :starbucks:

cleatusj

I had one trailer that I made gin poles with hinged stakes. I kept the stakes pinned in front pockets during transport and would move back to just in front of axles for use. A winch was mounted center front of bed and hung a one ton chain hoist at top of poles. With this setup I could pickup engines from behind trailer and set them as far foward as center of front axle.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
it seems it should be easy enough to make . i think a upside down field goal desgn would be better that way when you lay it down it will lay on your trailer side rails. to operate it i would simply remove the hitch from the rear of my utv or truck and put it in the front . when you get to the location just unhook the trailer and turn the truck or utv around and hook up in the front that way you can use your winch to operate the lifting system. i could draw up a simple plan if needed but you guys have me thinkin of makin one for my trailer so i can load stuff easier.