questions on oil

easttnrhino

just bought a used 2015 mahindra gear drive not hydstat (112 hours) i want to take good care of it and am fixing to change the oil and check transmisson oil and front axle oil, doe anyone know what oils are recommed. Thanks for any help.

Red Beard

Don't know much, but do know that, if you switch to a synthetic, especially in the gears, they generally break before they wear out.

WFH

Best thing to do is find the nearest Mahindra dealer and get an owners manual. In the manual there should be a listing of recommended lubricants. Match the ratings to which ever brand of oil you would like to use. I happen to agree with red beard and would use synthetic ( as I am an AMSOIL dealer). I both use and sell synthetics and believe in them completely.

shvl73

i agree with finding out the recommended oils. I do believe you will find that basic gear oil, found at most every auto parts store, TSC, etc... will work fine for you. The engine oil may be a 10-30w in spec, though hard to find. I use Rotella 5-40w synthetic from Wal-Mart, better starts in the cold. Keep in mind, it is a tractor, not the space shuttle, basic technology. NAPA can be a good source, if you have one local.

Bindian

I use (& have used) Shell Rotella in all my diesels. My 2002 Dodge Cummins has over 264,000 miles on it (from 1st oil change) and my Mahindra 6520 has over 557 hours on it. I run Rotella synthetic oil in my 10 hp diesel generator. Shell has a million mile club for their on road diesels. I also use Shell gear oil in the Mahindra and my Dodges, but that is harder to find.
Rotella is at Walmart and Tractor Supply. Shell Rotella is one of the oils Mahindra says to use in my 6520's operator's manual.
hugs, Brandi

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And when I bought my Kioti DK40 a few months ago, the dealer said they used Rotella when they do service. Bordercollie

Terry2816

Diesels need a special type of oil that handles the extra soot that the oils pick up. Any oil API classed as "CG-4", "CH-4" or "CJ-4" will do the job. Check out this link for everything you need to know about engine oil.

I have used Rotella T Synthetic in my diesels for quite a while, and with oil analysis to check on wear and oil condition, have been able to get 25,000 miles on my Ford 7.3 diesel F-250. Any name brand 15-W40 oil will work - synthetics just last up to 6 X longer between changes.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Diesels need a special type of oil that handles the extra soot that the oils pick up. Any oil API classed as "CG-4", "CH-4" or "CJ-4" will do the job. Check out this link for everything you need to know about engine oil.

I have used Rotella T Synthetic in my diesels for quite a while, and with oil analysis to check on wear and oil condition, have been able to get 25,000 miles on my Ford 7.3 diesel F-250. Any name brand 15-W40 oil will work - synthetics just last up to 6 X longer between changes.

Interesting link Terry, thank you.