Tractor won't start Original 13 year old battery died

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For the first time since I bought my baby (Grand L 3010) in 2002 it would not start when I tried to use it to move the snow around.
Battery turned but to slow to fire it up. This is the original battery. I bought in April 2002, so the original battery is just two months shy of lasting 13 years. :eek:
I must say I'm impressed. I've never had a battery last that long. Ever.

So, I'm wondering ...have you had that kind of luck with your Kubota original battery?
And what did you replace your original tractor battery with? I called the dealer today and the same replacement battery costs $114. Not bad. Especially when it lasts 13 years. Less than 11 dollars a year. And I did not ever use a battery tender on this battery like I have to do on my ATV for those to last. I probably will start using a battery tender as replacements (for me) never last as long as the original.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
13 years is really good!

I'm about 8-9 years in on my replacement RTV battery. I believe it's a Deka.

IMHO, Deka makes a very good battery and I use them as much as I can (if I can find the size for the machine it's going in).

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Hate your battery stopped working but I think you got your money worth out of it. Have never had a battery to last that long in anything. Hope that you get that good of service out of the replacement. :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to agree Tdome. I've never ever had a battery get even close to 13 years before. I sure would not bet on the replacement lasting that long but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kanook

My B1700 was 18 years old when I traded it for my B2650HSDC a little over a year ago. I replaced the battery once at about 12 years.

urednecku

I lack 5 months of having the original in my M7040 for 8 years. Still going strong, (I just hope you didn't jinx me by making me say that!!)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hope not to redneck. In the mild weather you have down your way I suspect you might beat my 12 years 10 months record. I think the severe cold is what finally did mine in. She will turn, just not quite enough to fire.
Kubota dealer had to order in the new one. Should be in next Tuesday.
Any tips on how to get to the battery? Not positive, butI think it is in the nose of the 3010. I suppose I have to take the front nose of the tractor off to get to it.

urednecku

No clue on the 3010, but the 7040 is in the nose. First thing you see when you open the hood. First thing a limb can hit when it comes thru the screen. :pat:

Giles'

My B7800 still running well on the original battery (Yuasa) after 9 years! I always keep it hooked up to a battery tender when not using it - I think that helps a lot.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My B7800 still running well on the original battery (Yuasa) after 9 years! I always keep it hooked up to a battery tender when not using it - I think that helps a lot.
I'm sure that helps also. I do the same with my ATV, as those batteries were eating me alive. Since I started using battery tender I've been good to go whenever it was needed.
I never did the same with my tractor, but am considering doing that during the winter season just to be sure she stays charged.
Do you have a pigtail hanging out to hook your batter tender to? My battery is way up front and not easy to get to. That is about the only way I could hook a battery tender up.

Giles'

I use a regular 12 volt battery tender type charger (suitable for say a motorcycle or ATV), and it has a pig-tail connector hanging out of the front grill. Make sure, however, of three things: have an in-line fuse between the positive and the pig-tail plug, have a cover for the pig-tail plug connector when using the tractor so it doesn't touch anything it should not, and...don't forget to unplug the tender before heading on out!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well here it is a bit over 5 years later. This guy DID NOT put a battery tender on the tractor battery. It lasted a tad over 5 years. :(

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Hope I don't jinx it but our BX2230 from 2005 still has its original battery. I have kept a battery tender junior on it since I've owned it - about three years. But by contrast, our DR tow behind field and brush mower's battery only lasted five years, despite being on a battery tender junior on it constantly. I do think when the tractor battery does retire, I will replace it with a deka or whatever Kubota OEM is.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL No jinx at all, these Kubtoa batteries rock. I need to correct my post 2 posts up. I thought the battery was bad. It was not. Turned out the metal clamp they use around the battery post had broke and I didn't realize it.
I took the battery to be tested and it tested good.under load. Brought it home and was hooking it up along with some battery tender wires included and then I noticed the broken clamp. Duh. Put a new one on and all is good. :D

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
12 years on the battery in my M95X. No power in the tractor shed to use tender.
Sweet! Don't big batteries last longer in general?
I replaced the battery in my RTV a few months after buying it in 2004. The OEM battery didn't have enough oomph to run the accessories I installed (lights, stereo/amp...). I replaced it with a (Deka?) deep-cycle marine battery. Here we are 16 years later and that marine battery is still working. I do keep it on a tender. If I don't keep it on a tender, after about 2 weeks it drains and won't start the RTV.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Correction to my previous post. I installed the new battery in 2008.

Either way, after posting that yesterday I realized I'm on borrowed time. I went out and bought a new deep-cycle marine battery for it yesterday.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Correction to my previous post. I installed the new battery in 2008.

Either way, after posting that yesterday I realized I'm on borrowed time. I went out and bought a new deep-cycle marine battery for it yesterday.
Kinda funny Brian. A battery tender sure does extend the life of most batteries. My ATV batteries were lasting less than a year without a tender. I now plug it in to a battery tender when not in use and I have 5 or more years on that battery now.

I suspect the battery tender technology has made a dent in the sale of new batteries since batteries last so much longer when kept charged up. :D :clap: :clap: