X900 initial engine noise and vibration

KenH

I have just purchased a x900 and really enjoy it around our farm. However, I have noticed that upon initial start up, there is a vibration and noise that I don't know if I should be concerned about or not. The noise and vibration settle down after about 10 seconds. If I shut the unit down and return after a bit to restart the engine (when it is still warm) the noise and vibration don't seem nearly as bad. This just happens when I first start up the unit for the first time or if it has been sitting for several hours and the engine has cooled down. As far as outside temperature, it is summertime (80-90 degrees) outside. Any ideas if I need to be concerned or schedule a service appointment ?

hellasmania

I just purchased an x900 as well. It makes a rattling noise as well from the engine/cargo box area. It's most notceable on the initial startup of the day and the rattle goes away once warmed up. Haven't looked into the source of the noise yet.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't help but along the lines of what hellasmania said, before you shut it down next time, raise the bed and leave it up. When you go to start it the next time, be standing next to your machine, turn it on then listen in the engine compartment.

Does it sound like an internal engine noise or a couple pieces of metal rattling against each other. If the latter, and with gloves on in case it's hot after you turn it on, start pressing on metal parts. E.g. it could be a loose muffler shield.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll guess that it is normal diesel startup noise. Both my diesel tractor and RTV900 do something similar to what you described.