Front Crank Seal Failures

foxalaska

Anyone having front crank seal failures on their 1100 C's? Mine is a 2016 with 500 hours and just had the second one fail. Four bucks and change for the seal, but a pain in the ass to change.

foxalaska

are you sure your crank case vent re circulation device is working properly?

I checked for crankcase pressure by removing the filler cap when I replaced the first seal that failed and didn't notice anything abnormal. These seals both failed when started and running at high idle. I haven't removed the seal I just lost, but the first one had a torn seal lip. The seal is damn "cheesy". Something that belongs in a Briggs and Stratton.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
maybe you need a redi sleeve on the balancer. have you tried to get a seal from another supplier not Kubota?

foxalaska

maybe you need a redi sleeve on the balancer. have you tried to get a seal from another supplier not Kubota?

Everything looked fine. The sealing lip was tore away from the seal. I'm thinking these seals are not designed for extreme cold starts. I live in an Alaska bush village and my Kubota is my only transportation in the winter. I avoid starting it at temps lower than 30 below. I have two pan heaters and a block heater, but the oil in the timing case may be too stiff at these temps. These machines are used extensively on the North Slope and work well at temps pushing 60 below, but are kept in heated garages. I'm using full synthetic Mobile 1. This is the only oil I've found that will still pour at 50 below. I'm building a "buggy shack" for it this summer and I will be able to warm it before starting. A seal designed for cold temps would be the "fix", but it seems Kubota should have already done that.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you attempted to discuss this with Kubota Field Rep or get the concern beyond the dealer and directly to Kubota?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Everything looked fine. The sealing lip was tore away from the seal. I'm thinking these seals are not designed for extreme cold starts. I live in an Alaska bush village and my Kubota is my only transportation in the winter. I avoid starting it at temps lower than 30 below. I have two pan heaters and a block heater, but the oil in the timing case may be too stiff at these temps. These machines are used extensively on the North Slope and work well at temps pushing 60 below, but are kept in heated garages. I'm using full synthetic Mobile 1. This is the only oil I've found that will still pour at 50 below. I'm building a "buggy shack" for it this summer and I will be able to warm it before starting. A seal designed for cold temps would be the "fix", but it seems Kubota should have already done that.

AHH that is cold. i'll bet your right. the seal is freezing to the pulley. i would take my old seal or a new one from Kubota to a good bearing house supply somewhere around a place that has heavy construction or maybe a cat dealer etc. and have them measure the seal and buy one that will fit from them.