900 brakes squealing when applied

Mannie

My 07 RTV 900 has 450 hours on it. When I apply the brakes she squeaks. Kind of sticky too. Not smooth. I have been going through water regularly. Removed the allan key drain plugs to check. No water or fluid came out. Do I need to clean them? Could the shoes be gone at 450 hours? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. Mannie.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, you have me wondering if mine do the same.

In my case, it would be from lack of usage. I only use the brake about 10 times a year. How often do you use yours?

cov62431

The brakes on these are a wet disk application. If they are squeaking I would check the fluid levels in the front hubs (knuckles), the rears are inside the trans. case lubricated by your trans. fluid. Check for leaks, on front, the seal where the cv shaft goes through the knuckle (on the inner side of the knuckle)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Actually, on my 05, I use the brake pedal/brakes every time, while stopped, that I shift gears or 4WD. Seems to relieve the hydraulic pressure and make shifting LOTS easier and sure..........God bless......Dennis

Mannie

Brake squeal

Thanks for the info. Will check for leaks.
The brakes on these are a wet disk application. If they are squeaking I would check the fluid levels in the front hubs (knuckles), the rears are inside the trans. case lubricated by your trans. fluid. Check for leaks, on front, the seal where the cv shaft goes through the knuckle (on the inner side of the knuckle)

jpaton

I also have a RTV 900 with front brakes squealing. Have checked all fluids and the drain plug (no fluid there). Any further words of wisdom?

cov62431

If you didn't have any fluid come out of the knuckle assembly when you pulled out the drain plug then you should check the seal where the c.v. shaft goes through it ( the knuckle). It's a 2-piece seal on the inner side of the knuckle. If you see any oil residue on the knuckle or on the seal it's most likely from the seal. You can also jack up the front end and try to wiggle the tire to check for play. Make sure you use jackstands under the front end for safety. Grab top and bottom on the tire and try to move back and forth. This will help you check the bearings in the knuckle, if they're bad you'll feel it. You will feel the play, and may have somewhat of a klunk when you go back and forth. If you can get someone to help you wiggle the tire it will be easier to see if the knuckle has any play, you look while they try to wiggle the tire. Hope this helps you i.d. your problem, good luck.

jpaton

No, not the knuckle drain plug, the Allen-key plug. Knuckles are full of oil, seals are dry; there are no leaks in the front knuckle assemblies. No play in front end. Any other suggestions before I pull everything apart?

cov62431

Where's the allen key plug your referring to? In the expieriences I've had the seals were bad and the knuckles were low on oil. If you are sure the noise is coming from the frt. knuckles you can tear them down, maybe you need to check the brake discs. Is the noise only when the brakes are applied?

jpaton

Inside of the knuckle drain plug (I believe this Allen key is for checking to see if your brake fluid is leaking: page 71 in my owners manual). The knuckles are not low on oil. Yes, noise is only when brakes are applied. Thanks.

cov62431

Let me look into this, I haven't run into anything like this before. The knuckle is pretty straight forward, not too many things there to give you problems.

jpaton

Finally getting back to this chore and I decided to just disassemble the knuckle and inspect the entire brake assembly. Bought a manual on-line (CD) and there are no good diagrams for this assembly (or instructions on how to disassemble/inspect the actual discs). I'm sure there is a trick I have not found yet. Drained all fluid and removed the (6) bolts from inside perimeter of knuckle cover as well as the CV joint cotter pin and nut. The knuckle cover has parted 1-2 mm but will not come off further. Anyone know what I am missing that will allow me to remove the knuckle cover and inspect the brakes plates and disc? Thanks.

cov62431

Sorry for the late reply... just checked my e-mails and found this one there. On the same side that you removed the bolts (6) from is a 2 piece seal, you have to remove this seal to get to a snap ring that attaches to part of the shaft that goes through the hub. This seal is pricey, around 50.00 +/-. Once the seal is removed you can see one of the bearings,there is a collar on top of the inner bearing race remove it and you will see the snapring. After you remove the snapring the knuckle will come apart. If it is a little stubborn, thread a couple of the bolts back in a little and gently tap the boltheads to help separate the knuckle halves.