Plowing snow techniques

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had lots of snow to plow over the weekend. I've come to the conclusion I don't know how to plow snow properly. I use my tractor and back blade. I turn the blade and pull it backward through the snow, angled off to one side so it pushes the snow out of the way. My blade still fills up, and the tractor won't go anymore. I will raise the blade a bit and pull to the side. This messes up the yard and generally makes things look very messy.

I see others who plow with similar equipment but their snow driveways look pristine. Nothing on the side. A pile or two at the end and that's it. What am I doing wrong?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So you have your rear blade reversed and you're backing up to push the snow?

Tractors aren't exceptionally good at snow removal but for best results with a back blade, angle it and plow going forward, as fast as it can handle.

When going slow, you don't have the speed to "throw" the snow off to the side so it accumulates.

Also keep your plow's moldboard clean and rust free. I Fluid Film mine which makes it slippery so snow doesn't stick to it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
for my concrete I do some plowing backwards to push the snow. for the other 400ft or so of drive that is gravel I do go forward with the blade reversed so it does not dig up the gravel.
Part of my issue could be a dirty blade. I never considered that. Nor had I put fluid film on the blade. I have some but never considered it. Thanks BC. Now if I can just remember all this the next time it snows. Hopefully that will be a couple years from now. Of late I've gone years without needing to plow.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
for my concrete I do some plowing backwards to push the snow.
Is that to avoid the blade catching joints or cracks in the concrete and chipping it?
If so, to plow forward, you can do 2 things.
1. Shorten the top link as much as possible. By doing so, instead of your blade being angled forward, it's now vertical.
2. Turn your blade 180° so your dragging your blade but driving forward instead of reverse. Most blades can be spun around while still attached to the tractor. Some won't, depending on blade design and length of your lift arms.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm thanks BC.
Not doing it that way because of catching joints or cracks. Actually my blade would turn 360 until I added the easy hook up system for 3PH. I could cut off the U bolts that hang down but I had forgot it would not turn until this past snow. I really do not have to plow that often, so not that big of deal.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm thanks BC.
Not doing it that way because of catching joints or cracks.
If you shorten your top link, it won't really catch.

Imaging you're driving across this screen from left to right.
Normally, your blade at ground level/surface would have an angle like this.
\

If you shorten your top link, it pulls the top of the blade forward giving you an angle like this.
|

The latter doesn't dig but just scrapes. so it doesn't catch much on cracks or joints.

DK35vince

Sounds like skid shoes would help you.
Weld a couple brackets on the lower back of the blade for skid shoes to slide in.
You can then set the shoe height to plow with the blade facing forward without digging in or catching and the blade will work much better rolling the snow.
Then just pull the skid shoes out for using the blade in the summer.

Last edited: