GENERATOR INFO

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Found a brand new, Patriot 8000 Diesel Generator / Welder combo for sale.

People said make them a offer.

Ok ...........................................................

For I can't find much on the internet, or I'm just looking at the wrong place.
Who makes it. ?
Is it dependable ?
What is a fair price to offer ?

Who makes the generator part ? Does anybody here know or own one ?

I think, but don't know for a fact. But I think Apollo makes them. Does anybody know anything about Apollo.

Any and All replies are appreciated !!!!

>>>>>>>> THANKS,
JAMIE ...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did searches for both Apollo and Patriot and search results were pretty sparse.

I'd be a bit reluctant. If you can't find the generator mfgr with pages of hits, it's probably an off-brand and may be near impossible for parts and service.

Unless you get it for a song, I'd probably skip this one and buy a name brand.

Kanook

I did searches for both Apollo and Patriot and search results were pretty sparse.

I'd be a bit reluctant. If you can't find the generator mfgr with pages of hits, it's probably an off-brand and may be near impossible for parts and service.

Unless you get it for a song, I'd probably skip this one and buy a name brand.

I AGREE..

on the few occasions that I have had to use my genset it is because the temperature outside is 20 below, the power is out and the water in the coffee maker is icing over and that is no time to be worring if the bargain sitting out in the shed going to fire up. :starbucks:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Have a few Onans
But they are gas burners.

Thought I might like a diesel generator / welder !!!

Really. Don't need another. But thought if I could get it for a steal. Just one of those brain farts .....

BaiJiu

Two Guns I was holding off on this discussion because I don't know what your generator needs are. I have several generators all of them are critical to the work I do here, a couple are for small jobs out on my property, I have a larger one that is for my home back up electrical supply. I don't require generators very often but when I do I need them to be there for me, especially the one backing up my home. They have to be reliable even when they aren't used for extended periods of time. All my generators but one are Honda; one is a Kawasaki and it is the only one that fails me repeatedly and was more expensive than even the larger Honda's and twice as heavy.

King

I have two Hondas and they cost more, but have always started are don't there job when the power is out

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Couple of years ago. Purchased a Honda 6500 Series Generator. The ONLY time I heard the damn thing run, is the day I purchased it. It ran for maybe five minutes in the back of my truck. Showing it to Mrs. Two Guns .....
The next day, on the way out to do work out in the woods. Ran up on a Wal-Mart and stopped to get just a couple of things. Was that a big mistake.
Walked in, grabbed what I needed, and walked out. Just that simple. Not being but just a moment.
Upon walking up to my truck, noticed my tailgate down.

YES, THEY GOT IT. No one person got this heavy chunk of iron.
I paid a small fortune for that generator.
I WAS PISSED. Walked back inside Walmart, asked them if we could look at their camera and see who got it. THEY SAID NO !!!! For the cameras are their for their use. Not the public. I called the local Sheriff and had him try to get them to let us look. They told him the same, and that they were sorry.

I would have loved to have caught them. Still get pissed about it !!!!

............... two guns

BaiJiu

Sorry to hear that two guns, I have to change my previous post, it would be cheaper for you to buy the ( Patriot 8000 Diesel Generator / Welder combo) in that case. Lol.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that two guns, I have to change my previous post, it would be cheaper for you to buy the ( Patriot 8000 Diesel Generator / Welder combo) in that case. Lol.

You can bet, EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING, in my truck is chained up good and locked up.

Never would have thought in a zillion years, that anyone would have stolen that machine that quick. Still blows my mind .....

............. jamie

BaiJiu

Wow I know how you feel and it really sucks, I had a new snowmobile in my garage, just did it`s first service, it was up on blocks, doors closed. Next morning I got up and noticed the garage door was up snowmobile gone. Cops said the thieves just look for machines they want then use a door lock decoder to pop your garage door and off they go within few minutes. And what really sucks is that if we caught them in the act and shot them we would be the ones at fault and charged with a criminal offence, if they survived we would likely be sued and loose, plus go to jail. So if you own a gun and intend to use it at some point consider the implications.

Heatwave

Baijiu: Similar experience with a Kawasaki generator. The generator side works great ... as advertised ... but only when the Kaw engine elects to crank. When it doesn't want to run ... it doesn't want to run. Usually, a squirt of starting fluid gets things going, but not always. It's one of the few PITA items I own. I wish I had bought a Honda instead ... considerably more expensive, but dependable and reliable. Foolishly, I tried a cheaper route. Never again.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting that you're having problems with the Kaw engine. They're normally problem free.
One thing I found that works very well to get rid of starting issues is when I go to shut the generator down, I don't use the shut-off switch. I turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas on its own. I had a couple carbs get gummed up from letting the fuel sit in there. Damn ethanol...

Kanook

Interesting that you're having problems with the Kaw engine. They're normally problem free.
One thing I found that works very well to get rid of starting issues is when I go to shut the generator down, I don't use the shut-off switch. I turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas on its own. I had a couple carbs get gummed up from letting the fuel sit in there. Damn ethanol...

Likewise...I turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of gas..Another problem this prevents is not allowing the float to get stuck. Had an old small engine mechanic (even older than me)say that what can happen is if the engine is shut down with gas in the carb, that after a while in storage the gas evaporates but the float remains stuck thus preventing fuel from entering when the gas flow is re-established...Sometimes a tap on the carb with the butt end of a screwdriver frees the float allowing it to fall and permit fuel to enter. Those little Honda engines seem to be impervious to this..Honda builds great gas engines.

Kanook

Heatwave

Shutting off the engine by switching off the fuel supply has always been my SOP with engines that accommodate that procedure, and so it was with the Kaw generator engine. I've checked spark plug for fouling ... it never is. I've checked the fuel system to see whether gas is passing through properly ... it appears to be OK. I've checked the air cleaner and intake for obstructions ... there are none.

And I never leave gas in the fuel tank ... it's dry when not in use. I add a little fresh gas ... never more than a gallon and always non-ethanol ... when I use the generator, and add a little more as needed. When my work with the generator is completed, I shut off the fuel and starve the engine, then disconnect the gas line from the carb, tip the contraption up on one end so the fuel in the tank is at the lowest point, and drain all the gas back into a fuel can.

Some engines are harder to start than others. My Kaw is one of the former.

Kanook

Had a Kawa bike once upon a time...it always started...course it never stood still for very long...rode it till the snow started to fall...no heated handle bars back in those days. Still have the 67 Suzuki the wife rode.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone looking for a big generator?

I have a 200KW turbine engine generator I'd like to sell. It's made by Solar (a division of Caterpillar). At 11 gallons per hour no-load and 40+ GPH at high load, I can't afford to run the darn thing...

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

I have a 200KW turbine engine generator I'd like to sell. It's made by Solar (a division of Caterpillar). At 11 gallons per hour no-load and 40+ GPH at high load, I can't afford to run the darn thing...

That is a BIG generator !!!
Does the government hand out "Fuel Grants" anymore ? :whistling:

........... two guns

BaiJiu

Could the State even afford to run that sucker?