Where's Doc

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Seems kike a good while since see any post from Doc. Hope he is doing well. Search party may be necessary.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Naaaa, I'm here and watching. We've had some hardware issues tween that and my doctor appointments and a little car shopping I've been lurking more than posting. I did get the blade for my ATV and plan on installing it Saturday ...should have a few pics to share if all goes well.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not much of one. I have 165k on my 04 Toyota Solara ....so I was considering getting a new car. I looked and liked the toyota avalon but the Solara is still running so good I hate to take the plunge and buy a new one. So I'm hee haw'ing or procrastinating on it. I am a professional procrastinator by the way.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Me too, Doc. I've been shopping for a diesel engine truck now for about 8 years. I've decided that limiting the number round bales that I can pull over the ridge between the hay field and the house is just fine as long as my 2000 GMC 2500 continues to run so dang good. $50k probably has something to do with that decision also!

kobe

Think about this Doc. When we came off the gold standard in 1933, a greenback was worth one dollar. Nixon removed the last promise "Redeemable for $-----in gold or silver"
in 1971. The US dollar today has inflated down to approx. three cents. At the rate we are creating electronic money, you may be able to pay off your Avalon (nice family sedan) at one cent on the dollar. Feel better now? Also, next year they may cost 10,000 more~~~~~

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, we buy used trucks- bulls like to rub on them and well.... (cattle will also pull the dipstick out of the tractor). I can't say enough good stuff about Honda cars.. Sis and bil buy new and they just go and go... very safe too.. my niece is here because of the construction and wearing a seatbelt with airbags...rolled 3 x and every window busted and panel damaged. School books strewn out the sun roof and broken windows as she rolled and stopped next to a tree -rubbing the bark off. Must say the Lord was with her on that one.. Honda accord- excellent.. collie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought my siverado used just because of that price. I wanted the 50k truck but no way could I pay that price. I had a 93 and in 09 I only had 183k on it. it was still running but getting rough. I bought a used 05 crew cab silverado with 43k on it. Sweet truck. I only have 65k on it now. I use it for towing and hauling etc. it is not a daily driver so it sits a good bit. Should last me another 10 years or more easy.

Here is a pic from the ebay ad. As you'll see it was a Texas Truck. It is a little dirtier today but still a darn nice truck. I love it. :D

Note: You probably can't read it but that is Orange County Chopper logo. Leather interior, upgraded sound system. Sweet. Rides as good or better than most cars with those 20" wheels.

Attachments

• ChevySilverado1500.JPG
    ChevySilverado1500.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 67
  • ChevySilverado1500-2.JPG
    ChevySilverado1500-2.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 67

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, we buy used trucks- bulls like to rub on them and well.... (cattle will also pull the dipstick out of the tractor). I can't say enough good stuff about Honda cars.. Sis and bil buy new and they just go and go... very safe too.. my niece is here because of the construction and wearing a seatbelt with airbags...rolled 3 x and every window busted and panel damaged. School books strewn out the sun roof and broken windows as she rolled and stopped next to a tree -rubbing the bark off. Must say the Lord was with her on that one.. Honda accord- excellent.. collie
I had a Honda Accord right before I bought the Solara. I handed down the accord to my daughter and her hubby. They handed it down to my son. That car was still running at 300k, but the rest was rattling apart. Good car.
I would be looking at a Honda Accord or Toyota Camary but the interiors are a tad small for what I want. Honds does not offer a bigger sedan, so I'm lookng at Avalon. My brother says to buy an SUV but I don't need an oversized station wagon that gets the same millage as my truck.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, I'm partial to the Chevrolet Impala. Have a 2008 with a little over 100k. This is my paying job car that is driven 70 miles per day, no interstate and get 30 mpg. Largest Chevy car produced.

Just bought a 2012 Impala for my son. Good cars with room for a large guy like me (6'1" 280 lbs).

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
30mpg Wow. Impressive. Thanks for the reminder that Impala's are still around..

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - If you want an Accord but bigger, look at the Acura. I believe the RX model is the one that's a tad bigger than the Accord.

Sort of like Doc, I have an 05 GMC (instead of Chevy).
Mrs. Zoom drives an Accord as her daily driver.
Crappy weather (ice/snow), and the Audi Quattro comes out as it goes through anything.
Also have a Honda Odyssey for trips or shopping when we all go.

BaiJiu

Me too, Doc. I've been shopping for a diesel engine truck now for about 8 years. I've decided that limiting the number round bales that I can pull over the ridge between the hay field and the house is just fine as long as my 2000 GMC 2500 continues to run so dang good. $50k probably has something to do with that decision also!

You can buy a diesel truck for $50K, my 2006 F-350 was a lot more than that before tax. What really sucks is it will rust out before 8 years are up.

BaiJiu

Here is a pic from the ebay ad. As you'll see it was a Texas Truck. It is a little dirtier today but still a darn nice truck. I love it. :D

Doc that is one smart looking farm truck.

BaiJiu

Collie this is a great story thanks for sharing, as I get older it seems like my brain has heard too many bad news stories and I need some good news stories to keep me sane.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you BaiJiu. Sometimes things turn out good sometimes we think not but there is a purpose for all things...( It gets deep and serious then...It's taken me a year and a half to figure that one out) I have a lot of those good stories though. Did you ever hear about the wood planer about mashing me....or when the ladder I was on slipped .. (bout everyone has.. ;) haha.. Oh , Okay, I promise I won't hijack this thread .. collie

edit to say : On that wreck, my niece walked away..(It was on a gravel road 2 miles from home) !!wear seatbelts!!

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I'll chime in on the vehicle issue. We have had honda cars for years, first the Preludes then Accords. All great cars and none had less than 250k mostly trouble-free miles on them before they were traded/sold for a newer model. BC, a deer hit across the hood of the 86 Accord attested to their survivability-- not so much for the deer. In pennsylvania, they say there are two kinds of drivers. those that have hit deer, and those that have yet to hit a deer. Gas mileage on all the Hondas has been over 30 mpg.

Have a 2003 F-250 4x4 extended cab (5.4 L gas) with 39K that will probably rust out before it wears out. It gets all of 20 mpg. It loves gas stations, as do most all pickup trucks. Otherwise, it has been a good hauler and tow vehicle.