Newbie just bought 2010 rtv900...

calchef

here's another question for ya...

seems to be idling high, anyone have a link to adjustment procedure.
haven't got a manual yet and wasn't able to find anything in a search.
thanks for the help.

htr4

If your machine has a slip on arrestor, I'd be checking the date it was made. Not that it makes much of a difference, at this point, but good to know what year it is. :) I cut my idle back on mine as well. It's a bit tricky to get to at the very front of the motor. If I recall correctly, there's some wire holding the adjusting screws together...had to cut it to change the idle. Let me do some digging and see what I can find.

calchef

well I've been duped!
turns out this unit is a 2006. my fault for not checking the serial number I guess
and taking his word for it. I don't think I would have paid that much for a unit
that was ten years old vs six years old. it's still in good shape with low hours so I
guess it's got that going for it.

htr4 thanks for the link. that will definitely help in solving the idle problem.

rgm

calchef,

You have a good looking machine that isn't even past it's break-in period! You might have been told the wrong year, but from what I see, you didn't over pay.

It was an awesome deal for a 2010, it IS a great deal on an '06 with less than 150 hours.

Enjoy

Rich

borlapso

Another way to tell for sure, if I remember correctly. If the VIN is 17 digits long (like a car) the 10th digit will tell you. I believe on some of the older ones they are 16 digits and the 9th digit should tell you. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way it worked on these. Just looked at my 16 digit vin and mine says "8" on the 9th digit of the vin...making it an 08.

Purchased new 900xt January 2014. PIN 17 digit, 10th digit is "D" Is this a 2014? The year is not indicated in the purchase paper work.

Per the Operators Manual, engine oil and filter, both hydraulic filters were change at 50 hours, change remaining oils at 200 hours. Thanks

Mark.Sibole

even for the year you still got a good price on it for a hard cab and all the extra stuff and the low hours.I think you got more tham your moneys worth if you dont stumle into any mechanical issues.

htr4

Yes, still got a great deal if you ask me as well... I'd be sure to call the previous owner again and try and get some $$ back. It's worth the phone call, the worst thing he can say is no! Even if he said no, you've got a great machine that will last you years. I had more hours in a half a year on mine, that thing must have done a whole lot of sitting! Good luck!

htr4

Purchased new 900xt January 2014. PIN 17 digit, 10th digit is "D" Is this a 2014? The year is not indicated in the purchase paper work.

Per the Operators Manual, engine oil and filter, both hydraulic filters were change at 50 hours, change remaining oils at 200 hours. Thanks

No it would be a 2013. It started over with letters in 2010 with A. Every year, it went up one. Hope this helps.

calchef

ok, feeling a little about the purchase folks. was starting to have some remorse about it.

htr4...not sure if I have any rights about misrepresentation but it's still a solid machine
with low hours. definitely going to make the phone call though.

I'm sure I'll have plenty question from here on out....thanks again everyone!

htr4

Don't have remorse, you've still got a great machine. Legally I don't think you can do anything about it...but one good phone call to the guy, if nothing else, will make him think the next time he does it. Even if he says no to giving you $$ back, at least you know you tried. Dad always told me, "you'll never get it if you don't ask." Here's the thing, even if it was an 04, it'd still be worth it. Years on these are almost like tractors - they depreciate to a certain value and then just stop. The hours are what people really look at and even then doesn't really make that much of a difference. You still got a GREAT deal, just not what you expected. Good luck with the machine, keep us updated.