Considering alternate GT power source

Mark777

Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently acquired an old GT garden tractor of the late ‘60’s early ‘70’s era. It’s an SS-12 Sears.

My original intentions were to restore the little tractor just for fun but the previous owner did some troublesome and moderately malicious ‘butchering’ while replacing the original Tecumseh 12 HP with a side valve, 10 HP Honda. The frame was the original engine mount with pre-drilled holes to accommodate the stock engine but….Bits were cut with a torch for (unnecessary) clearances and other misaligned, but now, near permanent welds have repositioned the pulley travel-clutch mechanism and engine motor mount plate (also slightly misaligned). This caused the crankshaft pulley to be forever at a kilter to the rest of the pulley drive system….Clear as MUD? :pat:....LOL.

OK, just skip everything I said above and understand that I spent several hours with various grinders and cut-off tools to carefully UNDO everything! I am now free to properly locate the correct distances, angles and height of the new (replacement) engine. Only one small problem, this engine has a single pulley and the original had two, one on each side of the engine. So to proceed ever so carefully and make the final adjustments (and new welds) I will never be able to use the GT for anything but a ’Tug’. This would work just ducky for pull behind, follow me implements, but never again use the mower deck (which I don’t have YET).

I am very seriously considering using the Honda engine as a stationary power source to operate a small hydraulic pump. Oh, yeah…I know, this has been done or attempted before, it‘s not cost effective, routing lines and valves can be problematic, controllers, reservoir tank and other hardware may prove tough to figure. …but did I mention I’m serious? The hydraulic pump could quite adequately power the transmission via pulleys (one from the crankshaft to pump, and one from the pump to transmission pulley) AND also power a small hydraulic motor for the mower deck (which I will probably build myself).

Attached is the original belt and mechanical pulley system that operates everything:

Thanks for looking and any opinions, suggestion and advice greatly appreciated!

Mark

Attachments

• SS-12 Original pulley system.JPG
    SS-12 Original pulley system.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 69

Mith

Mark, I didnt notice this before, so sorry for the late reply.

I tihnk you could use a hydraulic pump on the engine for drive. However, I think you are going to struggle for power to run a mower deck. I guess it depends what you want to cut, but you are going to need a big flow to spin a mower with reasonable power, and thats going to need a whole load of HP.
I'm thinking about making a hydraulic powered mower deck for the artic, I'm not really sure where to shart on calculating the power requirements and the size of the motor though. I mean, how much torque do you need to run a mower deck?

jwstewar

Staff member
Mark,

The original motor had several pulleys on the right side of the engine. I believe it was 3. One operated the tranny and the other one ran the mower deck via mule drive hanging out off the front of the tractor. These all ran off the right side of the engine. The left side pulley was just used to connect a belt to the starter/generator combo. Is there anyway to just change the pulley on the Honda engine so that you can run the multiple belts off the right side like it was originally designed by AYP?

These were tough little tractors. Dad still has his with the original Tecumseh HH120 on it. It needs a little bit of work on the engine - as I beat it up pretty good mowing our yard BN - Before New Holland, but the tractor is still in good shape. I think it really just needs a new plug and the mag adjusted on it. Just can't get him to let me bring it back to the house so I can play with it.

Mark777

Geeze guys,

Talk about poor response time :yum: (I mean mine, not just your's).

Back in June I had thought this thread has got to be one of the most uninteresting in the history of NTT. There are only a few updates since my last post.

The Honda engine runs well but looked terrible appearance wise...so I bead blasted the whole thing, painted and re-assembled the engine.

I built two hydraulic pump mounts with tensioners for lateral adjustments for the belts (I've only purchased one pump to use as a mock up and positioning for the final installation).

Rather than riddle the original tractor frame with holes, brackets and welds, I built a full flat stock (3/16" steel) cradle to mount the engine, pumps, pump mounts and other hardware. I've also cut 8" out of a motorcycle exhaust, re-assembled and welded each individual component and cut a 5" hole in the cradle to allow the exhaust to dump through.

Was rather lucky to find a twin stack air compressor with no engine (donated by a friend) that has two 6 gallon air tanks. The first tank I bob'ed in half and re-welded (approx 4 gallons ?) and I added a filler neck and cap to use as the fuel tank. The second tank is currently sitting forward of the external grill and will be used for the hydraulic tank.

I'm off the project for a time as I've had several customers that have needed various paint work and fabrication.....(This really cuts into my fun time).

Well, that's where I'm at so far

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geeze Mark, sorry I missed this one before also. :hide:

Very interesting though. How about some pics of where you are at now with it. Kewl stuff for sure. :D

Mark777

Geeze Mark, sorry I missed this one before also. :hide:

Very interesting though. How about some pics of where you are at now with it. Kewl stuff for sure. :D

Alrighty………

I apologize for the quality of these (very dark early this a.m.) pictures but you kind of get the idea:

(And the last picture is for MIth :yum:...Can you guess WHAT THIS is as it may be another alternative power source??)

Mark

Attachments

• R-side.jpg
    R-side.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Top r-side.jpg
    Top r-side.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
  • L-side.jpg
    L-side.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 2G40-3.jpg
    2G40-3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Pump pulley mount.jpg
    Pump pulley mount.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Grille Clearance.jpg
    Grille Clearance.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 54

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good work Mark. Looks like a very professional job. :thumb:

Mith

You'd have to give me a hint Mark. Looks like a twin, and those might be spark plugs. But heck, it could be a mini nuclear reactor :D Now that'd be neat, nuclear lawn mower!

Keep up with the posts, I'm intrigued as to how it works out.

Mark777

You'd have to give me a hint Mark. Looks like a twin, and those might be spark plugs. But heck, it could be a mini nuclear reactor :D Now that'd be neat, nuclear lawn mower!.....

Dumb luck as I happend upon it, always wanted a small one to build something around. Here are some details from their website:

Hatz 2G40

Air cooled 2-cylinder four stroke Diesel engine.
• Vertical cylinder producing 22.8 FHP @ 3600RPM
• Crankcase made of alloy, pressure die casting, parted, vertical in-line cylinders,
grey cast iron.
• Single cylinder heads of light alloy.
• Three-slide bearing crankshaft with solid-forged counterweights.
• Valve control by rocker, push-rods and tappets.
• Pressure circulating lubrication system with replaceable filter in main flow.
• Blower fan charging alternator integrated in the flywheel.
Characteristics
• De-noised: Due to constructional measure the noise emission has been reduced
to a minimum
• All purpose industrial Diesel engine.
• Low weight due to design of alloy (197 lbs dry).
• Low fuel consumption due to direct injection and multi-hole nozzles.
• Favorable exhaust emission values below limits of EPA / CARB.
Dimensions (LxWxH): 22.91" x 18.15" x 23.11"

What in the world am I going to put this in??? My new addition has 67 hours on it according to the hour meter :pat:

Attachments

• Hatz diesel twin.JPG
    Hatz diesel twin.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 55

olcowhand

I'm not sure how I missed this thread either, BUT I did know you got the Hatz diesel already! I'll be watching this one now. Looking good, but I wanna see that diesel go into something too! :mrgreen:

Mark777

Thanks lowland!

A chap about an hour north of me has offered up the Skeletal remains of a SS16/6 garden tractor. A frame, wheels/tires, perfect (tight) steering and an excellent transmission all for the taking. This is too good to pass up and could very well be the foundation for the diesel powered conversion.

This project is second in line as I need to complete the hydraulic powered SS12 first….(maybe :D)

Mark

Mith

Thats quite a cute little engine. It'd be perfect for a little mini excavator or something, compact and powerful.

I expect you've seen the little Perkins I think it was that surplus center are selling for small change on their site. I expect we'll see a few projects involving small diesel engines soon on the various forums :D