RTV & Tires

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Hey Bordercollie. You woke me up with this bump. Hope you are doing okay. I'm just now emerging from the thing they call winter, I guess.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doing ok thank you wheezer. :) How about you and the RTV ? got a sunburn picking milkweed pods today and my ribs are sore from being on the wrong side of a cow butt board.. midweek (got out fast thankfully before I got anything"broken"). When working cows,I stick a landscape timber cut in half behind the cow when she goes in the chute to help keep her from plunging back and forth, but, I wasn't fast enough to get it completely across when she decided to run backwards and was on the "folding side" . Lesson .. stay on the right side in all circumstances in life or it will come back on ya..Second time in 20 years for that to happen.... butt board , I mean ;)
Still love the evolution tires. I ran over a huge stub with the worn ATV tires so am keeping these evolutions on till I replace them with new ones.. When I wear them down, will buy a new set of evolutions for the other rims and keep these as my summer tires. Still have a whole lot of lug left, . :) I can't see replacing the atv tires to have a summer set.. will just put that money towards my plan of new evolutions later.
Real nice to hear from you wheezer. Take care and God Bless ya. collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
So glad you are ok.

Many people don't realize it, but not only is working cattle a hard job, it is dangerous !!!!

Have A Nice Day !!!!

I / WE, are here if you ever get into a jam !!!!

......... two guns

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i tend to stay away from any animal that weighs a few tons.my neighbor wanted me to go ride on his horses with him ithought back to the days when i was a kid an my buddy tried to get me to ride his shetland pony.as long as the pony walked i was ok .i buddy would ride my atv and get way up ahead of me then he would call his pony wich made the pony start to trot theni me and the saddle would slide nicely ride over the side and plop i was on the ground.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Ohio, Two Guns and Peanut, If you list working with large animals on your health insurance then whish it goes. My sis has had broken ribs from those critters and stitches too. You live and learn on where not to get... like between a newborn calf and mama... etc.. most of our 200 animals weigh in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs. Handle them carefully and they are usually fine. but if a person wacks on 'em them, then no good will come of it but wild acting animals...... We use sorting sticks 5 ft long to guide them sorta like a shepherd does sheep..
Here is a picture of the blackwater evolutions after many hundreds of hours. The pattern is non directional so I switch sides when servicing.

Attachments

• 0615141102.jpg
    0615141102.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 399
  • 0615141103a.jpg
    0615141103a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 0615141102a.jpg
    0615141102a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
thanks for posting a pic of them evolutions bordercollie.i'm about to get my honda back on the trails again and i plan on putting my outlaws on it and i'm gonna get a set of 27" gorillas for my rhino but i also want to get a set of tires that would be good for dry and wet areas and the lug pattern on your evolutions seem to look like they would work pretty good.the problem with my rhino is the rear end is always locked and there's no way to unlock it so when i turn it tends to make the front tires slide farword a bit and it wears out the fronts way before the back tires ever even get broken in. it's not fun wearing down 1k dollars worth of tires just to take runs to the end of the street and walk the dogs.plus the ride of my mud tires going slow will rattle you out the cab.i have to go about 1/4 throttle for them to smooth out they are aewsome in the mud but not so great for hard ground.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure Peanut. :) If I remember correctly, this set was around $600 plus mounting and shipping. collie

bigugly

hello folks
brought the old thread back

a big THANK YOU to the prior contributors as they have helped me with the tire decision

we have purchased an 08 rtv 100 for our farm in the mountains

the unit came with worksite tires as it was from flatlanders in alabama!

we desperately needed more traction, and 8 ply due to all the punji stick residue from the bush hogging (property was neglected since 2007 until we purchased this past year) . . . but what to do?

as the tires are still 'good' i purchased 5 oem take off rims for $25 each off craigs list to have a full set + a spare

purchase 2 STI Roctane XD radial 26 x 11 x 12

install on the front to determine if they rub

if they rub then move to the rear and purchase 26 x 9 x 12 for front

drum roll . . . they dont

pics or it didnt happen

with the larger tires on the front it kinda feels like an old skool raked out harley . . . not really

PS the other 2 tires are on order

Attachments

• 20160303_173610.jpg
    20160303_173610.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 20160303_180106.jpg
    20160303_180106.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 20160303_180111.jpg
    20160303_180111.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 20160303_180654.jpg
    20160303_180654.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 294

Mogman

hello everyone. looking for new tires for my RTV. Now I want to push the limits a little. I live in the mountains here in up state Pennsylvania. I need a lift and was looking at a tractor tire? Remember I also have a 411 unimog so I like the big tires. I came across these pics and wanted to know how the hell he did this any help id appreciate it. Mogm an
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forum...ttractortalk.com/forums/attachment.medium.jpg (75.1 KB)
php?attachmentid=10074&stc=1&d=145767569757675697

Attachments

• 1-large.jpg
    1-large.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 279
  • 4-large.jpg
    4-large.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 7-medium.jpg
    7-medium.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 263

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mogman - I too live in steep country PA. I added the lift kit and went with bigger tires. At first, I kind of regretted it since it raises the center-of-gravity and increases your pucker factor on slopes. I got used to it (complacent?) but just drive a bit slower and more carefully.

If you want tractor tires, a simple option may be to check with the Kubota dealer. As I recall, their BX tractor series rear tires fit on the RTV. Same bolt pattern and everything. If you do go this route, see if they have some "take off's" laying around the shop as that's the cheapest option. If not, order them through the sales department as "whole goods". That option is normally cheaper than ordering from the parts department.

ovrszd

Pictures don't always tell the whole story. Not sure if this rig has tire rubbing problems or not?? Especially the front tires when doing a sharp turn??

I read on another forum that 4.5x5 bolt wheels will work, such as from a Jeep. Looks like that might be a common aftermarket wheel he's using??

I also read that a 205/50x15 mud tire will work. Measures 27" height.

These tires look to be taller than that, maybe as much as 29". I'm assuming this RTV has a 2" lift kit?? I added a 1" lift and run 27" tires with no issues.

My question would be concerning driveline issues with this much lift?? Also, how did he get the front tires to retain correct camber at that much lift?? With my 1" lift it changed noticeably.

Post your progress. I'm curious to see the results. :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think the rims in your pics are BX rims. I was saying I think BX rims fit in the event you wanted to look at those as an option.

ovrszd

The pictured rims are simply aftermarket "D" slotted steel wheels. Not sure if they are 14" or 15". They can be ordered with specific backspace, which is critically important. They also appear to be narrow. Possibly 6" or 7" width at the most. Then some searching for tires to match whatever size you wish.

ovrszd

Measure the backspace on your stock wheels and don't get anything with more.

Backspacing is measured by removing the wheel, lay it on it's face, lay a straight edge across the backside of the wheel, then measure the distance from the straight edge to the face of the wheel where the bolt holes are.

You can't have more back space because it will move the tire too far inward and cause rubbing issues.

Less back space moves the tire outward. This too can cause problems if in excess.

I don't have my RTV at the shop today so can't confirm factory back space. I'll check it as soon as I can and report the results.

Maybe someone on here already knows the answer???