Adding weight

Mith

This sort of came up in another thread, about loading tyres, vs having weights.

The way I see it, there are 3 options.
Loaded tyres
Attachable weights (3pt weight box, suitcase weights, implements on hitches)
Wheel weights

Which do you prefer and why?

Loaded tyres appeals to me, because its alot of weight, but without taking up any space or getting in the way. The only thing stopping me is that I cant remove the weight when it isnt needed, like I would be able to with the other 2 options.

larryRB

I don't use any extra weights. Have no need for it., Had R1's loaded on last tractor and said never again. R1's prematurely wear on out rock, shale, ledge, and being loaded only accellerated the wear.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have R4's that are loaded. I actually requested they be loaded when I bought the tractor, but the dealer forgot. So, I used the tractor until my 50 hour service with non loaded tires. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try them unloaded first. I have lots of hills, and quickly came to appreciate the tires being loaded. What a difference. I do notice it takes a little more UM_phhh to get the ole girl moving, but it sure is more stable on hills. Being loaded also improved my traction, so it is a win win for me. I do have to stay off the lawn if it is wet, as I will leave a mark.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I have R4's that are loaded. I actually requested they be loaded when I bought the tractor, but the dealer forgot. So, I used the tractor until my 50 hour service with non loaded tires. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try them unloaded first. I have lots of hills, and quickly came to appreciate the tires being loaded. What a difference. I do notice it takes a little more UM_phhh to get the ole girl moving, but it sure is more stable on hills. Being loaded also improved my traction, so it is a win win for me. I do have to stay off the lawn if it is wet, as I will leave a mark.

Ditto, ditto, ditto ...............

I used wiper fluid..............120 gallons in R4's

Junkman

Administrator
I have R4's that are loaded. I actually requested they be loaded when I bought the tractor, but the dealer forgot. So, I used the tractor until my 50 hour service with non loaded tires. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try them unloaded first. I have lots of hills, and quickly came to appreciate the tires being loaded. What a difference. I do notice it takes a little more UM_phhh to get the ole girl moving, are you talking about my wife???but it sure is more stable on hills. Being loaded also improved my traction, It also helps your sex life!!! so it is a win win for me. I do have to stay off the lawn if it is wet, as I will leave a mark.

jwstewar

Staff member
I have the R4 tires as well. On my little New Holland, I put 22 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each rear tire. If I remember right, it weight about 8 lbs to the gallon. So I added about 350 lbs. to the rear. Sure did help with the stability of my little beast. I also find that I don't have to use 4wd quite as much because the back as better traction. I also find that if I'm doing light loader work I don't have to worry so much about counter weight, but if I know I'm going to be doing heavy loader work I'll throw the tiller or box blade on there rear. It also made it more stable on my hills when I'm bush hogging.

Why did I choose to load the tires? Cost. I was able to do this for about $50 vs. wheel weights or a weight box that I would have to store and also wouldn't be on when I had something else on the rear. Didn't price wheel weights, even though I know if I ruin a tire, the ww fluid is gone.

REDDOGTWO

Most of the time I do not want the extra weight as it packs the soil when tilling, planting or cultivating.

Had the brother in law tack together a weight box, I did the finish welding and then added old window weights. If I remember correctly, with the box and weights, it adds about 1500# to the three point which is great when I move pallets of potatoes or squash.