240D - front wheel locked up

point four

After I finished using the tractor this weekend I decided to grease the
tie rod ends. I raised the front end so that I could work the joints after putting in grease. When I went to move the tractor the right front wheel locked up and would not roll.

I raised the front end back up and tried to rotate the tire by hand. No luck. It will move a couple of degrees and sounds/feels like a gear(s) have jammed. The other front tire rotates normally. I tried putting it in 4wd and it still will not rotate. Any ideas?

THX in advance
Point Four

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know the answer. But from what I've read, I don't see any alternative to tearing it down for a better look.

Maybe a helper steering a floor jack can help you drive it into your shop.

I assume you are aware of the usual parts sources which include

Hoyetractor.com
An excellent mailorder source, and has excellent parts diagrams on their website.

and two real US Yanmar Authorized Parts dealers. Both also have extensive boneyards:

PEQ.com - Danny1, who occasionally posts here. Years of experience, excellent. (But he badly needs a website designer on his staff) :respect: Forget making sense of his website, just email him.

sheaftractor.net (LenS) I think he is the best when you are willing to pay for his expertise to find the most obscure parts. He seems to have manuals for everything ever made in Japan, and contacts over there to find the obscure stuff nobody else ever heard of. He can even order one-off parts made for you if you are willing to pay.

Len's expertise goes way beyond just Yanmar. Ford, Massey, Bolens, etc had their compacts built by Japanese firms and Len knows where to find parts for them in Japan that your own local dealer never heard of.

point four

Thx California. I was afraid that there was no magic to be had on this. I will dig into it this weekend.

I have bought a number of items from Hoye but I suspect that I will need Sheaffer's help on this one.

Point Four

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also take a look in Fredricksequipment.com catalog.

They seem to have the broadest line of replica parts, for example they are the wholesaler who contracted a US firm to build the OSHA-certified ROPS that are retailed by several dealers including Hoye.

In my experience Hoye does smoother mailorder from the customer's perspective. But if inexpensive NAPA-quality alternate-supplier parts are out there, I suspect they were sourced from Fredricks.

I expect everything you need for this project is off the shelf stuff.

YM240 has the best parts availability of any Yanmar and I suspect best parts availability (for a US customer) of any brand of tractor that was built 30 years ago in Japan.

Replica cylinder head? No problem! About $550. Fuel tank? Steering wheel? Muffler, including the curve at the bottom? Water pump? No problem, about $80 each and they ship today if you wish. YM240 is well supported, like old Jeeps, Mustangs, VW's.

You have a nuisance to deal with but getting parts won't be a problem.

point four

Thx California. I had forgotten about Fredricks. I bought a voltage regulator from them a few years ago. Thx for the reminder.

Point Four

point four

Found the problem

I finally got a chance to tear down the locked up knuckle. The upper spindle bearing had disentegrated and some of the pieces-parts fell into the lower spindle gears causing them to jam. There was some minor scars on a couple of the teeth, but no major damage.

It appears that the upper seal had failed some time ago allowing water to get into the bearing. I plan to hunt down the parts to rebuild both knuckles while I'm at it. I will need to find new seals for each side as well.

Has anyone considered replacing the front 4-wd axle for a straight axle? I rarely use the 4-wd and the 2-wd front axle system looks pretty simple compared to the 4-wd.

Point Four

lens12

It would require everthing from the mounting bracket down. I can supply the parts either way you want to go.

point four

Got it fixed

I got the front end put back together this past weekend. I installed upper spindle seals, the large knuckle seals,upper bearings and short axle seals on both sides. Steers easier than it ever has since I bought it over seven years ago. Apparently as the upper bearings wear the spindles bind more and more. I should have checked the play in the spindles long ago. I am a bad tractor owner.

Point Four

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job. You got er done. We've all had our 'issues' like that ....we always find out in time.