ym240 project

jbrd

Okay, this gem has a brand new battery,cables, and starter. Cranks so so. Bled the fuel lines down to the pump, Throttle all the way open, nothing is coming out of the pump. I've read some of the suggestions for given to others, I checked the decompress with the valve cover off and that seems okay. If it involves pump removal I need a hint on what to watch out for. On page 45 of the service manual it shows the basic setup of the pump, regulator & governor lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jbrd

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've read (no personal experience) that pulling the injector pump requires some delicate wiggling to free the easily-broken internal linkage that comes over from the governor, before you can get it out.

Where's Mark? While I'm theorizing here, I think he has actual experience with this.

But I wouldn't suspect the injector pump first. These tractors are generally troublefree. if there is no pump output for either cylinder then I would expect that no fuel is reaching the injector pump.

The bleed sequence is from the tank toward the pump. First the bleeder on the inlet side of the fuel filter, then on the output side, and finally the one down on the pump inlet. Each should flow freely.

Far less likely is that someone had the pump out before you bought it, and damaged it. In that case, anything is possible and you might need to take the tractor to a mechanic with plenty of troubleshooting experience.

jbrd

Thanks for the replies, The fuel does flow freely at the bleeder screw. The pump had plastic thread protectors where the lines hook to the pump. In the box of miscellaneous stuff that belongs to the tractor are two brass shims (I think) that fit the bolt pattern on the pump. That's why I thought when I started this that someone had done work on the pump.