Looking for a part for my JD backhoe... Curved Upper Bucket Link

TBigLug

I am looking for the curved upper link on my 401C backhoe that runs from the stick up to the cylinder. It is on the left side as you are sitting at the backhoe controls. The John Deere part number is T67895. It can be found on 92, 93, 93A, 94, 95, 95A, 9250, 9250A, 9400, 9550 model backhoes, or 300B, 302A, 401C, 401D, 444, 444C, 444CH, 500A model loader backhoes, or 350B, 350C, 450B, 450C, 550 model crawler, loader, backhoes.

If anyone knows of someone with one of these machines in their backyard that would be interested in selling the link, please let me know. Pictures below are the parts diagram and description and a picture of my broken link. John Deere does sell new ones but I can't swing $327.91 right now, woulod like to find a cheaper alternative.

I also went to a welding shop and they said that even if they welded it, it wouldn't be strong enough to use again and would most likely break the first time I tried using it again.

Thank you.

9520BackhoeFinished.jpg

IMG_20120928_134728.jpg

IMG_20120928_134737.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to net tractor talk. I'm glad you found us.

Yep, that one sure is broke. To bad. I'm curious on how it broke. Is that a story you care to share?

I have to wonder if a welding shop could fabricate one for you cheaper than the original part from the JD dealer.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know much about welding, but I would weld it in one side then weld another piece of metal to the other side. The new piece of metal should extend beyond the break as far as possible.

Bob

urednecku

What Doc said.
Any good machine shop should be able to make one for you. Might not be made out of cast like that one, but would probably be stronger, and less expensive than one with that JD part number & paint on it.
Good luck!!

TBigLug

Thanks for the advice. I went to one shop yesterday and they said with the stress ot's under a weld would never hold. Guess they just didn't want the business. I'l keep asking around.a

I'm curious on how it broke. Is that a story you care to share?

I will once I get back to the computer with a bigger kwyboard than my phone.

urednecku

First, I am not a welder. But that looks like a cast type metal, & I understand it is very difficult, if not impossible, to weld. That's why I suggested having a replacement made from steel. A good machine shop should be able to do it.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Yes you would think they could make one out of plate steel and make it work.

TBigLug

I'm curious on how it broke. Is that a story you care to share?

I have to wonder if a welding shop could fabricate one for you cheaper than the original part from the JD dealer.

It was a pure moment of operator error. I had removed my bucket to make some repairs to the stick, one pin to weld and some cracks to repair. I was in a hurry putting the bucket back on and mounted the links backwards. My buddy stopped by at the wrong time to BS. When I went to stretch out the cylinder to reattach the bucket I wasn't paying close enough attention to the links that I couldn't see (hidden from easy view when at the operators station) and BOOM! It bound on the pin that the bucket hinges on and snapped. Didn't even grunt the backhoe. 4 seconds of distraction leads to an EXPENSIVE fix.

So I got a hold of another welding shop in Mason to talk to them about my problem. Talked to their customer service guy, super helpful. Send him pics of what was broke. He calls me back, "Oh yeah, we can weld that up no problem... but..."
"IT'LL PROBABLY BE CHEAPER TO JUST BUY A NEW ONE."

Lol, after I pick my phone up off the floor he tells me it'll be $200 for him to repair it. So, that's out of the budget. I ask him if he can weld me a new one out of 1" plate and DOM tubing. He says, oh yeah, we could do that no problem. How much? $400. LOL, yeah, no, next.