why i live out here

Erik

You can't really see the light dusting of snow we got yesterday, but the ice looks much better now that the clouds are gone!

Second picture is our "little malabrute" Denali - never name a dog after a mountain, he might decide to grow into the name!

Attachments

• tn_100_1581.jpg
    tn_100_1581.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 898
  • tn_100_1583.jpg
    tn_100_1583.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 896
N

Nicahawk

Good pictures Eric. Great looking dog!

We didn't have ice but blowing snow for a while. Was 70 day before.....it's KS so wait a bit for something else to blow in.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Erik, I usually judge a place by asking myself, "Could I stand to wake up every day and look at this?". Looking at your photo, the answer is probably "Yes". Pretty place man and the dog isn't bad to look at either.

urednecku

That does look like some country that's easy on the eyes. And the ice adds that special sparkle, too! Nice!

Erik

thanks, guys! There are alot of mornings we wake up, look out the bay windows, and comment on how lucky we were to find the property. Now that the house is done, I can spend some time this coming year rehabbing the abused pastures and maybe even fixing some of the fence!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We feel the same way Erik. We were living in Columbus where 1 acre lots were selling for as much and more than what we paid for 47,8 acres. :eek: We feel very fortunate to have escaped to the country and our property.
If we had not done that just think ....I would have had no interest in TBN wouldn't have gotten hooked on forums and there would be no Forums Forum or Net Tractor Talk. :eek: Everything happens for a reason. :thumb: :D
Congrats on finding your property Erik. :thumb:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Erik, you have a great place!

Come on Doc, you can't blame everything on Columbus! It's not that bad a place! :pat:
Nope, not at all. I love Columbus, The Bucks and all that go with it. So many GREAT places to eat or be entertained. All I was pointing out is that prices of stuff up there are a whole lot more than they are in the boonies. Even now with the real estate market down, you'd never know it in Columbus. Things are selling at higher than would be expected prices according to my SIL who is looking for a warehouse type of place.

Erik

Did you get that tractor bought then? I have not heard any more...

still waiting for them to tell me it's at the dealership so I can go take a look. for some reason the dealership closed up at 3PM on Wednesday and didn't open back up until 9 AM today! grrr...

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's exactly why we are moving when Beth retires.

30 acres in rural Va cost less than a building lot in Northern Va.

The taxes for the land will be @$250 next year since i put 20 acres in the soil bank.

The tax rate is $.55/100 so when we build the house and barn the total annual tax should be less than $2,000. We're paying over $8,000 for the same sized house and barn on 5 acres here. It's also out of the EPA regulated area around DC so gas and diesel are cheaper.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We've bought the land and have the road and house location cleared. We are in the process of clearing more space for the barn and turnouts and cleaning up the property line so I can start the fence.

I have some pics on our web site, Theslagles.net aerial view, topo, and pictures.

There's a paved road to the edge of the property and power and telco are at the edge of the property.

Jim