As seen from space

Mith

Well, my house is in the picture, but sadly I cant claim to be the one who mowed 'HELLO' into a field :D
We live quite close to a small airport, so I'm assuming thats why he mowed it in, but what a bit of timing to get it on google earth!
He also wrote his name a little to the left, but its too small to read really.

untitled2.jpg

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Shaded area is my property, house dead in the middle, gas well to the left ..... :respect:

property.jpg

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Here's my little 2 acres

Attachments

• Google Image.jpg
    Google Image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3,020

BoneheadNW

This picture was taken over 6 years ago apparently. The house was still being built. The driveway starts at the bottom of the photo. Water (Puget Sound) is just off to the lower left. You can't be too far from water if you live on an island.
Bone

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,988

Archdean

Here in flyover country we don't have the degree of satellite imaging resolution most of the rest of you have!!:pat:

GoogleEarth_ImageSmall.jpg

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here's my place, pic is old, just after we moved in 5 years ago. Shed is built, yard fence is in, and land is cleared. That pile of stuff on the septic field (lower left corner) is the chips from shredding the tree stumps.

5 acres, bordered by the roads on the east and south, you can see the difference in the grass cut for the north and west borders.

That's my old Kubota B2910 in the driveway.

Since this picture we've built perimeter and cross fences and a 4 stall barn and tractor shed.

I'll see if I can find something newer and also post a view of the new place.

Jim

Attachments

• 16459_view.jpg
    16459_view.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,957

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Here in flyover country we don't have the degree of satellite imaging resolution most of the rest of you have!!:pat:

GoogleEarth_ImageSmall.jpg

Here Dean ................... :tiphat:

There is actually on closer resolution than this one ............... :wink:

Attachments

• Noname.jpg
    Noname.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,970

Archdean

Thanks Big Dog,

That's the best I can see, also way back when we had very good resolution here with satellites before commercialization by Msn, yahoo and Goggle but then about 4 years ago all that changed , has to do with population density I believe and we don't fit that!!

I just did MSN's New beta , first pic and then Google's new Image second pic! They just won't show more detail, I have an old Flight sim that does a much better job than that!!:yum:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG Virtual Pic of Dean.JPG
    Capture.JPG Virtual Pic of Dean.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,903
  • Capture.JPG Google earth.JPG
    Capture.JPG Google earth.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,082

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I'm afraid that for me, the resolution on Google Earth and MSN Live isn't good enough to make it worth posting. Pity 'cos when I look at our old house in Dallas I can count the people sitting around the pool.

Great shots guys. Keep them coming.

irwin

There sure is a lot of area with poor resolution. I think this aerial picture is from 2006, before the wife and I cleared land, built a barn and generally changed the scenery..

Blue line is property border, green is cleared for horse (not stripped, but much more open), the red is mostly cleared... rocks, trees, etc. the orange is the barn placement. Upper right is the beginning of nineteen acres we're talking ourselves into buying....we'll see.
The birdseye view of my area is great, 20 yards, but I don't have the ability to copy it...yet.
(Sure wish I had an after shot. )

attachment.php

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2,992

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
There sure is a lot of area with poor resolution. I think this aerial picture is from 2006, before the wife and I cleared land, built a barn and generally changed the scenery..

Blue line is property border, green is cleared for horse (not stripped, but much more open), the red is mostly cleared... rocks, trees, etc. the orange is the barn placement. Upper right is the beginning of nineteen acres we're talking ourselves into buying....we'll see.
The birdseye view of my area is great, 20 yards, but I don't have the ability to copy it...yet.

attachment.php

Wished I could see all those colors you mentioned .... :rolleyes:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Believe it or not I have not loaded google earth or any of the satelite programs as I was on dial up. Now that I have high speed I'll have to load em up sometime soon.

A couple weeks ago my brother showed me a google earth option where you could drop down to street level and see a view of your house and neighborhood. It was amazing. Just like you were in a car driving by. Have any of you tried this option? And speaking of low density, I'm in a very low populated area and we had the street view for our little community. Surprising.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Believe it or not I have not loaded google earth or any of the satelite programs as I was on dial up. Now that I have high speed I'll have to load em up sometime soon.

A couple weeks ago my brother showed me a google earth option where you could drop down to street level and see a view of your house and neighborhood. It was amazing. Just like you were in a car driving by. Have any of you tried this option? And speaking of low density, I'm in a very low populated area and we had the street view for our little community. Surprising.
I tried the street view once to look at my house. It was a good set of photos. But I haven't tried it since.

B

bczoom

Here's my little slice.

The lined area is my place. A tad over 10 acres. The wooded area goes up approx. 100' of elevation for every 500' back. If you look closely in the woods, you can see the trails traversing the hill to get to the back.

For those of you that don't have close-up detail or where your picture doesn't clearly define things, some may want to be thankful. Software is being developed to compare an old satellite image to a new. It then looks for differences (in particular, structures). It then details the location, size... of the change and can provide the info to the government to assure appropriate permits have been received. If no permit, penalties, increased assessment...

Attachments

• 1our house from satellite 3.jpg
    1our house from satellite 3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,942

urednecku

If no permit, penalties, increased assessment...

Just goes to prove you do NOT own the land, the GOVERNMENT does. And 'big brother' will watch & screw you over any way they can figure out how to.:furious:

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean to throw water on a good thread. I just get pissed we work so hard to build a nice place for our family, and the government thinks we did it just so we could send them more $$$$$.

All ya'll got some nice places, and it is neat to see it from above!!

BoneheadNW

Here's my little slice.

The lined area is my place. A tad over 10 acres. The wooded area goes up approx. 100' of elevation for every 500' back. If you look closely in the woods, you can see the trails traversing the hill to get to the back.

For those of you that don't have close-up detail or where your picture doesn't clearly define things, some may want to be thankful. Software is being developed to compare an old satellite image to a new. It then looks for differences (in particular, structures). It then details the location, size... of the change and can provide the info to the government to assure appropriate permits have been received. If no permit, penalties, increased assessment...
Time for the tin foil hats (I am serious).
Bone

irwin

Wished I could see all those colors you mentioned .... :rolleyes:

Not sure what happened there B D but here's what disappeared from my other post.

:irwin's earlier post:

Attachments

• map2a1.JPG
    map2a1.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,038
B

bczoom

Time for the tin foil hats (I am serious).
Bone
I guess we'll see. Next time you're at a town or county meeting, ask if they've met with any salesmen that have approached them about buying any software for identifying new structures or other info from satellite imagery. Our town has been approached.

Here's a link I found in a quick google search. It only broaches the subject (based on my search terms) but the following 2 sections of the doc give an idea.
Finding and Extracting Objects
Classifying Images

EDIT TO ADD:
OK, I changed my google search term to:
GIS software for finding new buildings taxes

Take a look at the first few pages. It's either companies that make the product or papers/articles on towns and counties that are using the products.

Last edited:

BoneheadNW

Several years ago, one of my projects at work was to map the 675 fire hydrants in our area via GPS. This data was then used by the city to help us make hydrant maps for all the rigs. The city is also using aerial photography to help us map commercial structures to that we can come up with pre-fire plans (rig placement, access, etc). While commercial construction has slowed some, there are still several projects going on which need to be evaluated.
Bone