My Orchard

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
847ranchpanorama.jpg
I love this place. It's 11 acres, with orchard on about 9 of the acres. This is what it looks like in winter, looking west from the other side of the canyon toward me.

And this is what I see looking southeast from my farmhouse. (white, with the windmill and watertower, in the picture above).

P1050870rOrchardfromstairsFeb.jpg
The first, panorama photo was made from offstage left in the second photo.

The second photo also shows a bit of where the back of the orchard (far right) rolls off into an impassible ravine.

P1050082rOrchardNovember.jpg
DSCN4677rRavine.JPG

Last edited:

Mark777

Beautiful place California.

The third photo does add merit to your description of working on a continious grade...still, to me, worth the battle.

The last photo looks like my back acre...only better manicured :).

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Nice place. I forget, what are you growing in the orchard?

Jim

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apples! These go mostly for Martinelli Sparkling Cider, the stuff served alongside champagne to kids and non-drinkers.

Some of the trees are original Gravensteins from about 1905. There are also Golden Delicious and other varieties.

Bearing trees are farmed commercially by a neighbor along with his larger acreage. I plant replacements and take care of the new trees for a couple of years.

Mark, Doc, Jim, thanks for the compliments!

JDA 3020

Nice looking orchard, better kept up than the one we had on our farm. We also would get critters like that buck in ours, they seem to like apples.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bimp! Continuing on ...

Here's what I was working on this weekend. Brute force gardening, ie pulling weeds with the backhoe.

Discing gets most everything, but there are unwanted blackberry bushes and scrub oak so close to the apple trees that the disc misses them. Even herbicide in the past didn't knock them down, due to their massive root structure. So I'm trying something new. Yes, that's my glove on the taproot in the last picture.

P1210182rDigWeeds1.jpg

P1210136rDigweeds2.jpg

P1210179rDigweeds3.jpg

P1210154rDigweeds4.jpg

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Bimp! Continuing on ...

Here's what I was working on this weekend. Brute force gardening, ie pulling weeds with the backhoe.

Cali, your "brute force gardening" is somewhat similar to my "redneck pruning", i.e., using a 12-gauge and rifled slugs to get dead limbs out of trees that are too high to reach with a polesaw and ladder. A man's go to do what a man's got to do.

Nice place. When you live someplace like that, it makes it a joy to go to work every day.