Fluid Film Questions

rapracing

School me on Fluid Film

Do you put it on the entire chassis of the RTV?

What about on the body?

Does it have to dry or sit for a bit before using the machine?

Anything else?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think there are several videos on it's use on the keller site. if not then on utube..
I would not use it on the orange part because it does attract dust. I use Armor All there. I spray all under the machine with FF and did notice a smell when I got it on the muffler (when it got hot), but nothing but the smell. I would also avoid electrical like the alternator and the belt but that is just my opinion. It is good for battery connections. Some rubber will be affected like it curling on my natural rubber strip on my weed wiper; arrgh.. I shoulda not put it there cost me $$ to replace. Under the RTV is real nice though. bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't use it on the orange, interior or place I regularly touch.

Undercarriage and engine mainly. It's actually a decent belt dressing but like BC, I don't spray on/in the alternator.

When you put it on, it's going to be slick, like an oily coating and it's going to stay that way for a pretty long time (like months) if you don't wash it off.

I use it everywhere.
Door hinges in house.
Moving parts on garage doors (including the scrolls and chains for the openers).
Undercoat my truck (use the 1-gal thick stuff and an air undercoating gun).
As mentioned, the RTV.
Anything that's left outside in the winter (scraper blades, box blade, rototiller...). Come Spring, there's no rust on any of it.
Underside of mower deck to keep grass from collecting.
Belts on truck, mower deck...
Battery terminals/electrical connections.
Inside/bottom of vehicle doors where you traditionally get rust.
Window crank gears for house casement windows.
Bicycle brake cables (unless I need it to seep inside, in which case I use Kroil)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Some rubber will be affected like it curling on my natural rubber strip on my weed wiper; arrgh.. I shoulda not put it there cost me $$ to replace.
BC - What kind of rubber is on your wiper? Fluid Film is lanolin (basically bees wax) and I'm scratching my head on why it would damage rubber.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BC - What kind of rubber is on your wiper? Fluid Film is lanolin (basically bees wax) and I'm scratching my head on why it would damage rubber.
Hi Brian,
I found this on the fluid film site: http://www.kellsportproducts.com/?gclid=CK6rn_7Q3cUCFdgOgQodslsAbA

Q. Will Fluid Film harm rubber or plastic?
A. It has no adverse effect on plastic or synthetic rubber, but it may cause some swelling on natural rubber.

My rubber strip on the weed wiper looked like it had been through one of those hair crimper things after I sprayed it with fluid film. So I guess it is natural rubber. I love FF otherwise. I have some pictures of me replacing the strip with a new one on the wiper thread I started. (the strip should have been cheap but they had me... I thought.. so next time I will get it at a rubber place off of ebay or something like that- now that I know what it really is... collie