2015 Dealer Meeting Updates

tlk

I bought the 2015 1100 and let me tell you the cab is worth every penny. Air and dust tight - radiator is now in the right place. The independent suspension is equal to Polaris. The ONLY thing I would ask them to improve on is a tad bit more speed - maybe 5 mph more. The other is to perform a little better if you get into some mud. The diesel does struggle a bit in mud compared to Polaris. But overall this machine is pretty incredible

ovrszd

I bought the 2015 1100 and let me tell you the cab is worth every penny. Air and dust tight - radiator is now in the right place. The independent suspension is equal to Polaris. The ONLY thing I would ask them to improve on is a tad bit more speed - maybe 5 mph more. The other is to perform a little better if you get into some mud. The diesel does struggle a bit in mud compared to Polaris. But overall this machine is pretty incredible

I'm around Polaris a lot.

I hope the suspension is superior to Polaris if the RTV is worked to it's intended potential. Otherwise it will fail.

As to mud performance between the two. There is a tremendous difference in driving a belt-drive and an HST.

The most common error with HST is to give it more pedal when it slows from overload. That's exactly the opposite of what's needed.

With belt-drive, more pedal equals more engine torque and the belt system will adjust and almost never overload the engine.

I have a Rhino and an RTV. There are very, very few driving techniques that are common. Two different animals. :)

ovrszd

Understand the RTV is incapable of high wheel speed. So the challenge is to not "gear up" the HST by more pedal. More pedal in an RTV equals higher gear ratio. Thus engine stall.

With a belt drive more pedal equals more engine rpm/torque and the belt will only "gear up" when the resistance is low enough to allow it.

The differences in these two systems is immense.

As I said before, the RTV is incapable of getting a "run" at an obstacle.

Both have their place and are equally capable of completing those tasks. :)

tlk

so here is the scenario - 20-30 yard mud hole on my deer lease of bad A** mud - it is like glue. Attaches to your wheels and then your wheel wells - do you try to get through by gettting up speed and plowing through? Or do you ease into it in 4WD and low gear and crawl through? The Polaris buggies on my lease just blow through the mud but I tend to get stuck - I assumed weight was a factor

Thanks for your expertise - I am just trying to figure out if there is a better way

tlk

so here is the scenario - 20-30 yard mud hole on my deer lease of bad A** mud - it is like glue. Attaches to your wheels and then your wheel wells - do you try to get through by gettting up speed and plowing through? Or do you ease into it in 4WD and low gear and crawl through? The Polaris buggies on my lease just blow through the mud but I tend to get stuck - I assumed weight was a factor

Thanks for your expertise - I am just trying to figure out if there is a better way

Let me add I realize you said it is incapable of generating high speed to plow through - so just verifying best approach is to ease through

ovrszd

Actually when compared to most other (polaris, yamaha, arctic cat, etc.) UTVs crawling thru is the only method. Again, because wheel speed is not an option.

Then, add the additional 500lbs of vehicle weight and you have the differences you are experiencing.

I'm very familiar with deep mud situations. The Kubota RTV would be near the bottom of the list of vehicles to choose. Especially if equipped with the factory worksite model tires. They belong on a golf course. :)

tlk

agree on the mud - I have the Kevlar run flat tires with aggressive tread and they work ok - but I carry quite a bit of weight. Other than the mud issues I love this machine - got an 8000 winch on it so that helps some!

Mark.Sibole

in mud I find using the manual engine speed set to high works well.This gives you the needed rpms for the engine and you can increase or decrease the transmission speed with the foot pedal.Ive found this works in mud and deep snow.Personally id like to see it spin tires when needed but i just dont like the way the HST is set up.I would love to see one of these set up with a clutch vs HST.

ovrszd

in mud I find using the manual engine speed set to high works well.This gives you the needed rpms for the engine and you can increase or decrease the transmission speed with the foot pedal.Ive found this works in mud and deep snow.Personally id like to see it spin tires when needed but i just dont like the way the HST is set up.I would love to see one of these set up with a clutch vs HST.

Good points Mark. I thought about discussing the hand throttle option. But since he's not equipped with one I wanted to discuss his current options and expected results.

I ordered a Hand Throttle kit for mine last week. I see it being very helpful in these types of situations.

Since discussion on this forum is limited to RTVs I am unsure when talking to someone if they have experience with HST in tractors? I believe that an operator that does have previous HST experience in tractors can better understand and compensate for the HST system's limitations and weaknesses.

When trying to get thru a difficult situation and the engine begins to bog down, it's very hard to convince yourself that letting up on the pedal will gain engine torque and power. That just doesn't make sense.

With a Hand Throttle holding the engine rpm at a preset level of your choice, then using the foot pedal to only control HST speed it should be easier to control and get the most out of the system.

But in the end, if the obstacle at hand is plowing thru long runs of deep mud the RTV is not the best choice of vehicles. :(

ovrszd

agree on the mud - I have the Kevlar run flat tires with aggressive tread and they work ok - but I carry quite a bit of weight. Other than the mud issues I love this machine - got an 8000 winch on it so that helps some!

I'm shopping for tires, can you clarify what tires you have and their size?? Pics would be great. I'm hoping to build a 1" lift kit and run 27" tires. Is that possible??

628pm

Site Supporter
I just installed the hand throttle option on my 2014 x900 last week. Looking forward to see how that works with my boss vplow I have. Not that I am wanting any snow this year, but with the vplow, cab, heater, hand throttle, and flashing marker lights, I think I am ready for it this winter. Beats using the kubota with fel I have, but that is backup. Since I am retired I can just also look out the window at the snow.

Mark.Sibole

Im running grim reapers here and have no issues in snow or mud so far.Pretty much anything in the mud unless tracked will have issues

628pm

Site Supporter
Mark are your grim reapers on your stock wheels? If not what size are you running.

Mark.Sibole

Yes mine are stock IM running the smaller of the 2 all the way around.I believe on the stock the backs are a bit wider on the rears so I went thinner all the way around.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
this ole boy runs his rtv's through crawfish/rice ponds.the type of tire will make all the diference in the world. the main problem with the rtv is tire speed. you need to turn the tires faster to get the mud to sling off and clean out if you don't have the speed I would stay out of the peanut butter mud.

http://imageshack.com/a/img254/6458/biglanedr1.jpg