for those that don't know...

Dougster

Old Member
a LAWYER?!?:badidea: Then we'd have to pay $200 bucks an hour to talk to you.:sad:
Ain't it amazing how only 99% of those guys make the rest of 'em look bad:pat:
Oh, a lot more than $200 an hour Junk! :rolleyes: Heck, I billed out at more than that in my prior (engineering) life. But the lawyers were all billing out at $600 an hour and up from there... and we were doing essentially the same work! More of my words ended up in the final contract documents than theirs... but guess who was making the TALL GREEN!!!

(Hint: NOT the old Dougster) :eek:

Dougster

Oh, a lot more than $200 an hour Junk! :rolleyes: Heck, I billed out at more than that in my prior (engineering) life. But the lawyers were all billing out at $600 an hour and up from there... and we were doing essentially the same work! More of my words ended up in the final contract documents than theirs... but guess who was making the TALL GREEN!!!

(Hint: NOT the old Dougster) :eek:

Dougster

I guess those East Coast YANKEE legal eagles get the big bucks. My boys over at Owee, Cheatum, & Howe work a little cheaper:thumb:

Dougster

Old Member
I guess those East Coast YANKEE legal eagles get the big bucks. My boys over at Owee, Cheatum, & Howe work a little cheaper:thumb:
It is a fact that Boston lawyers with prestige firms make staggering amounts of money. And those minimum rates I quoted are more than 3 years old now. :eek:

I should have my head examined... working for something below minimum wage now just so I can work for myself. I don't know how much longer this can go on. So far, economically speaking, semi-retirement and working for myself kinda sucks! :(

Dougster

It is a fact that Boston lawyers with prestige firms make staggering amounts of money. And those minimum rates I quoted are more than 3 years old now. :eek:

I should have my head examined... working for something below minimum wage now just so I can work for myself. I don't know how much longer this can go on. So far, economically speaking, semi-retirement and working for myself kinda sucks! :(

Dougster

Try charging $600 per hour:thumb:

Your work load might cut down considerable, but look at it this way, You'd only need to work a few hours a week to make a good income:mrgreen:

That'll be$600 for the financial advice:whistle:

Dougster

Old Member
Try charging $600 per hour:thumb: Your work load might cut down considerable, but look at it this way, You'd only need to work a few hours a week to make a good income :mrgreen:
That'll be$600 for the financial advice:whistle:
The funny thing is that it's not what I charge per hour (or per day) that's killing me. Even if my advertising budget is spent wisely & correctly in the coming year and we actually get a little plowable snow this winter... it's still those completely dead shoulder months that seem to do me in. :umbrella:

Dougster

The funny thing is that it's not what I charge per hour (or per day) that's killing me. Even if my advertising budget is spent wisely & correctly in the coming year and we actually get a little plowable snow this winter... it's still those completely dead shoulder months that seem to do me in. :umbrella:

Dougster

Uh, Yep! We parked the mowing equipment at the end of November. It won't roll again until late April or early may. The only cash flowing now is from CLIENTS THAT THINK IT'S ALRIGHT TO PAY 4 MONTHS LATE:mad2:.

I keep 1 guy on the payroll all year since I talked him into leaving a full time job to join us. (Owner doesn't get a paycheck this time of the year :whistle: )

Anyone who's never tried it, and thinks owning your own business is always fun needs to face a payday with no income in a month or 2. :badidea:

Thus, I'm still buying and selling "junk" when that opportunity presents itself. :bangin: And, why I'm not quitting the "day job" just yet.

Dougster

Old Member
Uh, Yep! We parked the mowing equipment at the end of November. It won't roll again until late April or early may. The only cash flowing now is from CLIENTS THAT THINK IT'S ALRIGHT TO PAY 4 MONTHS LATE:mad2:.

I keep 1 guy on the payroll all year since I talked him into leaving a full time job to join us. (Owner doesn't get a paycheck this time of the year :whistle: )

Anyone who's never tried it, and thinks owning your own business is always fun needs to face a payday with no income in a month or 2. :badidea:

Thus, I'm still buying and selling "junk" when that opportunity presents itself. :bangin: And, why I'm not quitting the "day job" just yet.
Yes, a "day job" and steady paycheck right now would be quite a treat! I fear this is going to be one long and very cold winter. :eek:

Dougster

jbrumberg

Dougster:

Would you sleep at night being a lawyer?

I apologize to rback33. Welcome to NTT :D! This is a "vigorous site". I think most of the members myself included suffer from ADHD :eek2: and love it :thumb:. Jay

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster:

Would you sleep at night being a lawyer? Jay
Yep! With a gun, one eye cocked open... and on top of that big pile of money I'd be making!!! :D

Seriously? I don't really know. I've gone back and forth on that issue many times. In my last career, every time I'd end up on the witness stand giving expert testimony or otherwise be working closely with lawyers making 3 to 6 times what I was making... the answer was Yes! Every time a cop pulls me or another member of my family over for absolutely no good reason and tickets us (or worse), the answer is Yes! Every time I watch OJ on TV or John Edwards or now that hideous new lawyer defending that hideous Drew Peterson character... the answer is No, No, No!!! :eek:

Dougster

jbrumberg

Dougster:

I can relate. Working in a psychiatric facility for many years and having participated in many, many committment hearings it was pretty crazy that I probably making less than some of the petitioned individuals. What also amazed me that two psychiatrists with similar training would testify in diametrically opposed testimony for the same individual and data. What was really scary was that in some cases the judges were crazier than the petitionned. Jay

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster: I can relate. Working in a psychiatric facility for many years and having participated in many, many committment hearings it was pretty crazy that I probably making less than some of the petitioned individuals. What also amazed me that two psychiatrists with similar training would testify in diametrically opposed testimony for the same individual and data. What was really scary was that in some cases the judges were crazier than the petitionned. Jay
Yikes! :eek2: I better be careful here. :eek: I didn't know you could commit folks. :eek:

How 'bout you commit Ed and let me stay on the outside? I'd take real good care of his TANK until he got out. :D

Dougster

Yikes! :eek2: I better be careful here. :eek: I didn't know you could commit folks. :eek:

How 'bout you commit Ed and let me stay on the outside? I'd take real good care of his TANK until he got out. :D

Dougster

Oh sure be that way. Have me committed to a funny farm so that you can get you hands on my far more superior tractor. :badidea:

Don't worry Ed. I will save your BEER KEG for you! :D

Dougster

Oh here we go again with my economical and totally free counterweight. I know that the real reason you keep bringing it up is cause you want one too. Listen I can wip ya up one for a good price. :bangin:

Dougster

Old Member
Oh here we go again with my economical and totally free counterweight. I know that the real reason you keep bringing it up is cause you want one too. Listen I can wip ya up one for a good price. :bangin:
:yum: :yum::yum: It's okay Ed. I've got the 509 as my counterweight! :thumb:

Seriously now... Can you picture me pulling up to a client's house with that beer keg on there??? :yum::yum::yum: I can't!!! ;)

Dougster

:yum: :yum::yum: It's okay Ed. I've got the 509 as my counterweight! :thumb:

Seriously now... Can you picture me pulling up to a client's house with that beer keg on there??? :yum::yum::yum: I can't!!! ;)

Dougster

It would be even better when you pulled up and his jaw hit the ground if you got off the tractor and poured him a cold one. :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Dougster

Old Member
It would be even better when you pulled up and his jaw hit the ground if you got off the tractor and poured him a cold one. :yum::yum::yum::yum:
Oh Brother! :rolleyes: Good thing you have that nifty day job Ed! I'm not sure too many of my clients would have been favorably impressed with that "marketing" move! :badidea:

Either that or your potential Maine clients must be a lot more "tolerant" than mine! :thumb:

Dougster