More power/speed no $$

CKing

I was reading the SWAG Turbo install .pdf. What they have you do is advance the timing by removing shims under the injector pump. Increase fuel by adjusting the pump to max per cylinder. Then set the boost max to 5 to 7 pounds. But how do they get the HST to deliver that extra HP?

RELIEF VALVE ADJUSTMENT for forward and reverse. This raises the max oil pressure on HST. Max oil pressure is set to prevent overloading the engine. Remember the engine is just an oil pump. In the WSM if you suffer from loss of power they have check for leaking or out of adjustment relief valves.

Now what I'm thinking is, that is how they make it go faster and have more power. The engine is not turning any faster with a turbo. So when your climbing a hill and the machine slows down and engine doesn't slow the relief valves are dumping to control max oil pressure.

I don't know if top speed is affected by this, because top speed maybe max engine rpm driving max oil volume with no relief valve bypass.

So do turbo'ed RTV 1100 have greater top speed?

Comments SWAG'S ?

Lee1935

Top speed? No it is my understanding is you will end up with more power to the drive wheels. No increase in speed, which translate into being able to carry a load up hills without bogging down. This old hot rodder knows of only one way to increase top speed "larger dia tires)

Is a turbo charger worth the cost? that is the $4000.00 question. My research and just for my application is no :-(

My experience is limited to higher elevations. I compared two RTV x1100c's with and without turbos at an elevation of 6900 ft. The speed going uphill was considerably faster with the turbo at that altitude. The top speed is about the same, maybe very slightly higher with the turbo and other mods. I normally operate my RTV x1100c at about 8600 ft.

Lee

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
My experience is limited to higher elevations. I compared two RTV x1100c's with and without turbos at an elevation of 6900 ft. The speed going uphill was considerably faster with the turbo at that altitude. The top speed is about the same, maybe very slightly higher with the turbo and other mods. I normally operate my RTV x1100c at about 8600 ft.

Lee

And your rtv does have the turbo ? I think we have talked before . I have property at 9000' . Planning on bringing my rtv x1100c to the mountains soon as I can to try out our properties big hill.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
And your rtv does have the turbo ? I think we have talked before . I have property at 9000' . Planning on bringing my rtv x1100c to the mountains soon as I can to try out our properties big hill.

something to consider is a hand throttle. lock the rpm in max and just use the foot peddle to control the hst. you can match the rpm power ratio better. it works wonders in certain cases

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I was pleased to see when I bought my X1100c it came with that option .
Very nice feature indeed,