Tomatoes and compost

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I thought I better hurry and take this picture before the tomato viruses move in.- usually it happens right about this stage and then they fall apart. I did put a couple of loads of composted cattle feed and manure on the site and worked it in with the tiller. Next year I hope to buy a disc or maybe spring for a tiller for the new Kioti. Nobody "likes" to pull weeds but me- who has time anyway. Kids are grown up mostly with their own things to do. I gotta have a smaller patch next year..maybe....But I like to share with this little old neighbor down the road so as long as she is there I guess I will have someone to give the extra to as she has a lot of older siblings . Anyway , I am dusting regularly with Sevin dust to help keep the thrips and disease carrying bugs at bay. I made a shaker dust applicator out of a Pringle type can with holes punched in the top.. It is replaced yearly and the label would be sprayed over if little kids were around. Happy Gardening . Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2362.JPG
    DSCF2362.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 161

Kanook

Bordercollie......

The WSM pages you sent me last year also included some seeds in the package...Just thought I'd post a picture of a zinnia (one of many by the way) that sprouted from the seeds from the deep south. Many thanks from the Great White North.

Kanook

Attachments

• zinnias.jpg
    zinnias.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 113

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kanook, Thanks for posting the picture!! I am glad they worked out for you. I have an area about 10 x40 planted with them. I save my seeds every year after they have dried , and put them in a mesh bag in the old smoke house, hung from a nail. Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Richard C. The garden did well this year, I think a big part of it doing so was placing the chicken pen on it during the winter. Just used temporary electric fence netting and moved it around. less weed seeds and less fertilizer needed too. I planted many of the small,short trees in view and the rows of pines in the very back about 6 years ago. The drought has been hard on them. In this picture, I watered some of the cypress trees and a few sycamores but I had to let some of the rest behind the garden fend for themselves as the deep well was and is pushing it's limit. We are suppose to get a real rain tomorrow night. Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2634.JPG
    DSCF2634.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 67