Fuel Pump???

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
leave it installed

That's exactly what I figured to do now for 600 hours since I replaced the pump with an electric one that is still just pumpin away. NO PROBLEMS or erratic running. I did place the little rubber stoppers over the input and output of the original pump that came with the replacement pump to keep dust and such out...................

bbonds007

I just diagnosed my 2004 RTV900 with bad fuel pump as well. I already have a new mechanical pump ordered.
I had a spare electric pump and threw it on there to test; it fired and ran fine. I can't tell much difference power or rpm-wise, it might have had a little more pep. It has been several months since I drove it last.
Mine doesn't spin wheels or have much low end pull though....it has more of a sluggish start. I am looking any adjustments for that. Any tips there? I also have that kit ordered to mod it to the 1100 valve after hearing of the improved performance with it.
Where exactly did you wire your electric pump to? If I do find after installing the new mechanical that the electric has more power, I might just do a permanent change to electric.

Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There is a "spare" connection there by the neutral safety wiring and device. The polarity is wrong on the plug; but all one has to do is go in and move the wires around in the plug. The pump I got off of Amazon had the same plug but wrong polarity so that was the cause for the change................Good luck

ShortFatBaldGuy

Hi Folks, I have a similar problem. I bought a 2008 RTV 1100 a couple weeks ago and it turned out to have a lot of problems. I replaced the starter and starter relay fuse and got the starter working again. Then I replaced a rear hub to get 2WD working again. Now it won't fire up. Turns out it had a bunch of water in the fuel. It was so bad that when I siphoned it out, there was a one inch layer of ice on the bottom of the tank. I cleaned that all up and replaced the fuel filter but it still won't fire up. I just removed the line from the outlet of the fuel pump and I'm getting nothing coming out. Since I emptied all the lines, is there some sort of priming procedure required? Could the water in the fuel have ruined the pump. I've cranked it for several minutes. Do I need to crank it longer. I don't want to abuse a brand new starter. I see in this thread that an electric fuel pump might be a good idea. Should I try that next? I know that all this trouble-shooting is getting me real familiar with the RTV and that's a good thing but it would be nice to spend some time riding in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God bless!

ShortFatBaldGuy

Fixed!

I put the electric pump on that D&D suggested and it's running strong again. We got about 3" of rain in Michigan today so me and kids ran around the yard tearing it up. It was nice to finally get to play with it. We got it stuck in 2WD so I put it in 4WD and the front wheels did not spin so I guess I'll be looking at that next...

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry I didn't see your posts and REALLY GLAD that YOU are moving and having fun WITH THOSE KIDS.....God is great HUH???....Dennis

Scott.deitrich

My fuel pump went bad today on the RTV 1100. Considering the swap to electric.

Question: What PSI fuel pump are you running? Do you know what the injector valve expects to receive?

Just want to make sure I don’t supply to much pressure or not enough. Thanks for the help.

Scott

ShortFatBaldGuy

Hi Scott,
I don't know the pressure details. Just like D&D, I purchased an electric pump (search Universal 12V 1.2A Heavy Duty Electric Gas/Diesel Fuel Pump) for ~$15 at Amazon. I installed it back in April of this year and its still doing fine. I checked today and it's not available anymore for some reason but hopefully you can get the details from there and find it or something like it elsewhere. The installation is pretty easy. As mentioned above, there is an auxiliary 12V connection nearby that is unused. My connector was pretty corroded so I had to cut it off and use crimp connections but otherwise, it was pretty easy to install. Hope this helps!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, I am still running the same electric pump as I originally talked about. Still strong and clicking away. I did take the electric off and in less than 5 minutes hooked up the mechanical pump on the engine. It started right up and ran fine. The machine became weak on hills just like original; but it did not miss and stall like the original did. lol....I didn't give it time as I like the power that the electric gives...……

I did find pretty much the original on Amazon, even cheaper; but with the connection and stuff that you have to figure out how to take apart and switch wiring...…...Good luck...…...Dennis

ovrszd

My fuel pump went bad today on the RTV 1100. Considering the swap to electric.

Question: What PSI fuel pump are you running? Do you know what the injector valve expects to receive?

Just want to make sure I don’t supply to much pressure or not enough. Thanks for the help.

Scott

Scott, the aftermarket electric pump only provides a constant fuel flow to the injector pump. The injector pump builds the pressure necessary to put the injectors into relief. If you can put 3-5 psi to the injector pump you'll be fine.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It is obvious that the electric pump provides ENOUGH pressure to keep the engine running and in fact, PUSH enough fuel. Actually, this is more than likely the reason that the engine runs better than with the mechanical pump...…...……...God bless..….Dennis

fordoldfart

RTV1100 with 600 hrs. The third mechanical pump went belly up. I said enough of that. Bought this one. Diesel Electric Fuel Pump For Kubota BX2350 M108 RC601-51352 RC601-51350 from amazon for $13.00. Wired it up through a relay that’s turned on by the fuel solenoid circuit. Power circuit coming off alternator through a fuse through the relay to the pump. This thing has never started this good and it runs better.

Guys, i have the same problem with my fuel system,..full tank,starts ok but lopes a little be fore it finds itself,..1/2 tank takes forever to start and really sounds bad..really bad on starter me thinks..I bought a electric off ebay and i have it in hand. when i install it i will let you know how it works out..btw does anyone have a pt# for a blockoff plate for a d902 fuelpump?....

10-e-c-dirt

I left my old pump on. Put longer hoses on it w/ a union bout half way, every 2-3 oil change I take a small cup of 5-40 oil, put both ends in cup of oil and start engine, let it circulate new oil thur the pump,

FTG-05

RTV1100 with 600 hrs. The third mechanical pump went belly up. I said enough of that. Bought this one. Diesel Electric Fuel Pump For Kubota BX2350 M108 RC601-51352 RC601-51350 from amazon for $13.00. Wired it up through a relay that’s turned on by the fuel solenoid circuit. Power circuit coming off alternator through a fuse through the relay to the pump. This thing has never started this good and it runs better.
I just ordered this. I hope it fixes a lot of my fuel/power issues.

Thanks!!!

spin

is 9 psi too much pressure for an electric pump on an rtv900 2006???? and,where is the fuse box located,i need to find a hot when the switch is turned on?