My homemade Grapple

BigAl

I designed and built this new Grapple for the Kioti front loader on my Kioti DK45 4x4 tractor a couple years ago . The jaws were computer cut and are T-1 steel 3/4" thick . I've taken out 7"-8" Oak Trees and never slowed down . The front facing tines interlock into the front cutting edge of the Kioti bucket when closed and act as a set of forward facing rippers .You do not need a after market cutting edge with this baby . And the nice part is I can open the jaws and back blade a nice level pad . It had a little too much crushing pressure so I needed to get a pressure regulator to tone it down a bit .

It bolts on each end of the bucket with 3 - 1/2" bolts and I have a set of Hydraulic quick connects on my tractor to open the close the jaws .

The picture shows the Grapple resting on my nieghbors DK45 whick is the same as mine ,minus the ram mount on the rear of the bucket . I took it off for the winter and left it in California . I will be hauling it to Idaho as we are getting ready to do a lot of timber clean up . This thing is God Awful and works perfectly tearing up anything in its path . I have the design drawing for the jaws if anyone needs a set . Cost to build was about $700 - $800 . Weight is about 250 pounds .

Attachments

• Tractor grapple 001.jpg
    Tractor grapple 001.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 896
  • Tractor grapple 002.jpg
    Tractor grapple 002.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 850

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very Nice work Al. Thanks for posting over here!!!! :thumb:

What is the computer / tool that cut the 3/4" steel?

BigAl

Very Nice work Al. Thanks for posting over here!!!! :thumb:

What is the computer / tool that cut the 3/4" steel?

The shop has a Computer controlled cutting table that must be about 16'X16' square . The cutting arm is suspended from above and controlled by a computer . They can custom mix the gas to allow for cutting of all kinds of metal . It really is something to see one work . Every jaw is an exact dulicate of the other ones .

BoneheadNW

Going to get you a can of orange paint for the bucket and grapple Al! Actually, maybe you should paint them blue in support of the democrats!:tiphat:
Bone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The shop has a Computer controlled cutting table that must be about 16'X16' square . The cutting arm is suspended from above and controlled by a computer . They can custom mix the gas to allow for cutting of all kinds of metal . It really is something to see one work . Every jaw is an exact dulicate of the other ones .

Sounds very cool. I would like to see it in operation.

However, part of my reason for asking is that I have some 3/4 steel that I need cut. I have never cut anything like that.
Any reccomendations on what I might use to cut it (...and wouldn't cost to much)?

PBinWA

Sounds very cool. I would like to see it in operation.

However, part of my reason for asking is that I have some 3/4 steel that I need cut. I have never cut anything like that.
Any reccomendations on what I might use to cut it (...and wouldn't cost to much)?

What kind of cuts, how precise, and how many?

Mith

Nice bit of kit there Al. I like the teeth sticking forwards, must be good for pulling up roots and stuff.

Doc, cheapest is probably angle grinder. I cut all my bigger plates that wont fit in the bandsaw with one. You can get the big gas powered ones, or get a 9" electric one or something. Wont be much fun though.
Much better off with a plasma cutter if you need a clean accurate cut, or torch it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of cuts, how precise, and how many?

Nothingthat needs to be precise. These are the reenforcement plates that I bolt on underneath the docks to hold my stanchions in place. The ones I used last year need trimmed down to fit where I need them this year.
(stanchions are tall poles that keep the boat from jumping up on the dock when big waves hit).

Doc, cheapest is probably angle grinder. I cut all my bigger plates that wont fit in the bandsaw with one. You can get the big gas powered ones, or get a 9" electric one or something. Wont be much fun though.
Much better off with a plasma cutter if you need a clean accurate cut, or torch it.

These plates are 3/4 " think and 2 1/2 to 3"s across. Neatness does not matter. I would love to get a plasma cutter but I'm sure they are more than I'd want to pay now.

Mith

Doc, the cheapie 4x6 bandsaws (which are great BTW) handle up to 6" wide stock. You can get one for $200, think they go down to $100 if you find the right sale. Sounds like a great excuse to buy one to me :D

PBinWA

Doc, the cheapie 4x6 bandsaws (which are great BTW) handle up to 6" wide stock. You can get one for $200, think they go down to $100 if you find the right sale. Sounds like a great excuse to buy one to me :D

I agree with Mith. But you should ask around. Someone with a torch could probably cut those for you pretty easily.

A chop saw would work too.

cj7

Sounds like a job for my plasma...hmmm

I have small JET brand band saw. That tool is a great addition for many shops. I love ti. Chuck in some stock and let it cut. Go do somethign else or take a drink or whatever.

BigAl

When I get up to the ranch this next week I will get it attached to my bucket and take some proper pictures of it in operation .

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter

Doc,
You'd be surprised how quick the local vocational school kids could cut out what you need, and it's usually low charge or free.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc,
You'd be surprised how quick the local vocational school kids could cut out what you need, and it's usually low charge or free.

good thought Jerry. They are 45minutes away. I think I'll drop in on a local welder Monday and see if he'll help me out.