Have you ever felt like a dummy?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had to move a trailer that had set for two + years on my back hill. I fired up the tractor to go get it and notice my fuel is in the red. Lower than I like to run it. So, I figured I had to go get some diesel. I got the plastic cans I use for diesel and one of them was full. Cool. I get set up to add fuel and whoaaa it's green not red ....and it doesn't smell like diesel. hmmmmmm Guess I have to go buy some diesel. :pat: Take just one can to the store and wondered what the H my son had put in my other can and why.
We've had our little store that is close by change hands. They sell a different brand of gas and they changed to highway low sulphur diesel. :pat: :pat: :pat: I didn't notice the change when I filled the cans a month or two ago. :pat: Got me good. yep, I felt like a dummy.

Tell your dummy story ...if you dare. I have to believe everybody has at least one they can share. ;D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure everyone has at least one.............

I like to have some blue spruce trees around the yard. The wife ordered some bare root seedlings. When they came, I planted them and commented, boy those things are tiny. Maybe I should mark them somehow so I'll see them next time I mow.

:pat:

I think you know what happened.

Erik

I'm sure everyone has at least one.............

I like to have some blue spruce trees around the yard. The wife ordered some bare root seedlings. When they came, I planted them and commented, boy those things are tiny. Maybe I should mark them somehow so I'll see them next time I mow.

:pat:

I think you know what happened.

I did that with the wife's blueberry bushes -- when they were about the same size as the staghorn sumac popping up along a different section of that particular fenceline...

shvl73

Does running into the garage door header with the rops up count? Twice?!
The first time I merely felt stupid.
The second time I felt dummer than a bagged salad.:pat:

GerryK

My Dad and I are milking cows at my great uncles farm. He was hand milking one and had it hobbled so it wouldn't kick him. Well the cow kicked him across the knuckles and broke the skin on all of them. Well Dad get's up and grabs the first thing that came to hand (a 4' long piece of 2X4 and clocks the cow between the ears. Killed it. Now for my dumb moment. I engaged my mouth before my brain and said "Dad, couldn't you have killed that cow closer to the barn door. We had to remove some of the siding to get it out of there. I saw the look on Dad's face and ran a hundred yards in 10 seconds flat before I looked back.

jwstewar

Staff member
We planted a grapevine a few years back. We had some bricks around it and such to protect it. I decided to level the ground out around it with the tractor and boxblade (you think you know what is coming don't you?:yum::sorry:). Got it all done and it looked good. Bricks were still there and the grapevine was still intact. Put the tractor away. Brought the truck back with a load of mulch in it for Monica's flower garden. Ran over the grapevine with the truck and killed it.:pat:

The big one I remember is right after I put the siding on the barn. I was back filling up around it with the tractor using the loader and boxblade. Tractor started slipping on me and the loader started heading toward the building. Not wanting hit the new siding - that we had just finished not more than an hour before, I cut the wheel to the left. What happens to the implement on the back when you turn left? It goes right.:pat: Took out 3 pieces of siding. Fortunately, I still had a few pieces left so I was able to replace it. Was going to try to fix it w/o telling Monica, but she was cooking on the grill and came around to the back of the barn to see what I was pounding on.:hide:

Gary66

Huh? What got you good?

Doc, what "got you good"? I understand there is a marked diesel fuel for commercial vessels and farms, but what is the significance to low sulfur, or whatever it was that "got you"? I can only guess that the cost difference is what you're talking about. Obviously I'm a city boy and my old non-turbo Ford still runs on whatever comes out of the green pump.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What got me was the 'no smell' of diesel and the color being off, I went to the gas station to buy diesel cause I didn't think what I had at home was diesel. Plus I was fretting about what I had just put in the tractor's tank.

Since the store had changed hands they still sold diesel but it was the commercial grade low sulfur and it didn't smell like the red non commercial diesel did. I had diesel in the can in my pole barn, but I didn't realize it. I thought my son had put 'lord only knows what' in that diesel can and I had just put some of it in my tractor. So I was worried and pissed for nothing. Plus I went to the store and bought more diesel for no reason. :pat: :bonk:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I gather that it isn't an issue of damage to an engine, thanks. Gary66
Exactly, no damage at all. I simply had to stop what i was doing to get the gas / diesel can and go to the store, buy diesel come back home add the fuel only to find out I had the right fuel all along. Major brain fart, no damage to the tractor simply a major waste of time along with a DUH moment.