RTV 900 SFRTV-9

tturr8827

Have a SFRTV-9 with about 2500 hours her. Busted the hydraulic line coming off the pump the other day. Replaced it, replenished my hyd fluid and now it is running rough, over heating and blowing white smoke after warming up. Also, high gear is not pulling/engaging like it should - significantly less power.

*Ran her twice since changing line - once as a test and once to verify smoke.

Any idea?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Your issue doesn't sound like it's related to your hydraulic repair.

Did you add fuel to the tank? Your symptoms are similar to what would happen if you put gasoline in the tank instead of diesel. If this is possible, you should drain the tank, fuel lines and empty or replace the fuel filter.

tturr8827

No. No gas in the diesel. Did notice oil level was extremely high though. Flushed it and got it back between the eyes. Issue remains. I wasn't leaning towards a hyd issue either (tbh, I have no idea which way to even lean) but problem only started after I blew that line and replaced it. Before it smoked, tranny felt like it slipped into neutral (while in high), idled hella high and started shaking. Had to kill it to cease. Cranked right back up though.

Thank you for the reply

tturr8827

Got it fixed. Oil level was high (as stated). Got it back within the eyes. Smoke was additional burnoff.. also, the new hyd line I installed didn't have the 33° fitting, just a straight. Made it about an inch longer than original to get it to fit. But, damper was catching the fitting, not allowing me to give full throttle, and when I did push down on it hard, the damper was getting stuck on the fitting. So, probably not the best idea, but I just took the damper off until I can find a 33 and make correct hose. All in all, problem fixed.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job figuring that out. A tricky one. Thanks for letting us know as it will come up again. :clap:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
could your high oil level be caused by a leaky primary fuel pump leaking diesel into the crankcase??? or did you just overfill??

tturr8827

I overfilled. Didn't check level before adding. I had a leak (filter was loose). Instead of checking I added half a quart.

I recently bought it for hella cheap (500 bucks) because it had an oil leak. Turned out the filter was just loose.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I overfilled. Didn't check level before adding. I had a leak (filter was loose). Instead of checking I added half a quart.

I recently bought it for hella cheap (500 bucks) because it had an oil leak. Turned out the filter was just loose.
WOW. That's the deal of the century. Lucky Lucky Lucky. :thumb: