Driveline Rattle

cypressman

Don't know! My local dealer is owned and operated by a father and son. The father is in his 80's, very personable, but not really in touch, if you know what I mean. The son is very active in the sales side of the business, but they leave service to a lady who's been with them for a year or so, no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. Two or three mechanics in the back, but I wouldn't trust them to go in to my hydro. I e-mailed Kubota's tech service department about two weeks ago, the site said that I could expect a reply within 7 days, but so far, no response from them. I think I'll go back to the dealer one more time, then if they can't resolve the problem once and for all, I'll get in touch with an attorney. We have a lemon law here in AL.

cypressman

Don't know! My local dealer is owned and operated by a father and son. The father is in his 80's, very personable, but not really in touch, if you know what I mean. The son is very active in the sales side of the business, but they leave service to a lady who's been with them for a year or so, no mechanical knowledge whatsoever. Two or three mechanics in the back, but I wouldn't trust them to go in to my hydro. I e-mailed Kubota's tech service department about two weeks ago, the site said that I could expect a reply within 7 days, but so far, no response from them. I think I'll go back to the dealer one more time, then if they can't resolve the problem once and for all, I'll get in touch with an attorney. We have a lemon law here in AL.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like the right approach.
Let's hope they get it fixed.
Keep us informed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like the right approach.
Let's hope they get it fixed.
Keep us informed.

Tact

Keep us posted. My Kubota only has 20 hrs. and the rattles have started. My dealer states the parts are on backorder, I wonder why?[:'(]

Tact

Keep us posted. My Kubota only has 20 hrs. and the rattles have started. My dealer states the parts are on backorder, I wonder why?[:'(]

Tact

I recieved my RTV yesterday and so far the clattering and rattles are gone for the most part. The mechanic said that it will probably return and the only true fix is to drill a hole at the base of the yoke, tap it, and screw in a bolt just tight enough to put pressure on the shaft (set screw). The yoke is a slip-on type and it has room to move and vibrate as it wears. He said Kubota will not let them do this at the dealership, maybe because it weakens the yoke, I don't understand why. If the rattles do return I guess I'll try this fix but only after the warranty is out. [*-)]
I'll post this on other sites, maybe this info. will be useful to others.

Tact

OK-- My rattles reappeared. I just got off the phone with my dealer who just spoke with Kubota. They said that in about 1 month Kubota is coming out with a completely new yoke design that will take care of these issues with the driveshaft problems. We'll see if that developes. I'll keep posting as soon as info. is recieved. I'll also post on other forums for others.

G

This must be a more common problem than I thought if they are doing a
redesign of that part. I personaly have not heard of any of the 40 or
so RTV's we have sold doing this. At least they are standing behind the
product.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[:(]I am having the same problem with my shaft vibrating and am wondering what to do. My dealer is about 60 miles from me and the transportation there is a problem .A dealer closer wanted 600$ for the same machine so I guess I have to swallow hard and go there for the warranty work. I have 100 hrs on my rtv and will really miss it if its gone long.Use it every day on the farm. Any suggestions on a repair that will last? How do you get in touch with a factory rep?[:S]Thanks a lot! BC</P>

G

I still wonder.......</P>

If it is a wear issue, and the parts slip together, why not tap on a grease fitting? Can't hurt, can it?</P>

I do have a rattle on mine but I am not real sure where it is coming from.</P>

Are we talking about the yoke where the front drive shaft connects to the transmission?????</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie,</P>

Is your rattle in the front yoke or rear? Mine is in the rear. A new universal and yoke is on backorder but I plan on installing myself.</P>

This link: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/629034-shaftremoval.jpgshows how to remove the driveshaft. I'm going to use it as my baseline idea/procedure for removal of the shaft and replacement. Not sure yet how it will go. Will post once I get it done.</P>

Brian</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
EDIT - Sorry for the duplicate post. I didn't see there was a 2nd page to this thread. Neil - Why can't we delete our own posts?</P>

Bordercollie,</P>

Is your rattle in the front or rear?Mine is in the rear and a new yoke/universal is on backorder. I plan on installing myself using the content of the link below as my baseline idea/procedure. I'll let you know how it goes.</P>

Brian</P>

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/629034-shaftremoval.jpg</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]

I still wonder.......</P>

If it is a wear issue, and the parts slip together, why not tap on a grease fitting? Can't hurt, can it?</P>

I do have a rattle on mine but I am not real sure where it is coming from.</P>

Are we talking about the yoke where the front drive shaft connects to the transmission?????[/quote]</P>

A grease fitting would be a good idea.</P>

Mine is in the very rear where the driveshaft going forward to the front wheels is getting pretty loose.</P>

I believe Cypressman's is in the very front.</P>

Applying pressure with my hand quickly identified where it was loose.With the engine running (neutral, emer. brake on... all the safety stuff), if you grab one end of the shaft and apply some light pressure to the side either nothing will change (not the place where it's rattling) or the noise will go away and you may actually be able to feel the play. Check each end using this procedure.</P>

Tact

Brian you might try what I previously posted since yours is out of warranty. That is to drill the yoke, tap it, and install a bolt or grease fitting. The dealer said the bolt would work but Kubota would not allow them to do this proceedure, why I don't know.I didn't want to do it since mine is still in warranty.</P>

My parts are also on backorder, still waiting.</P>

Fred</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Fred,</P>

I'm still on warrantee for another couple weeks otherwise I would probably take your approach. If it doesn't come with a grease zerk, I may put one in before installing.</P>

Brian</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[:)]Thanks for the reply. My rattle just started or else has gotten louder. The rattle is coming from the rear yoke.There is a good bit of wiggle room on the yoke/ shaft and I can stick my little finger about 1/2 of an inch into the yoke before it touches the trans shaft.I talked to a dealer today who said Kubota was still trying to resolve the issue. I didn't buy from this dealership but he was nice about helping me get on record with this problem. I need to continue to use the RTV unless I will tear something up.We all need a final fix.[:'(] This is a great machine thatI DEPEND on. My warranty has 10 months left so I will let the dealer do his thing. Murphy will visit me otherwise. HaHa. If you hear anything please let me know.. Thanks again, Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My rattle hasn't changed (gotten worse or better).</P>

Does anyone know if Kubota has changed/fixed this for the new models? If so, are there parts available for us that have the problem?</P>

Brian</P>

G

I just checked the service center and there has not been any new posts about it besides this...

<FORM action="">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#e2530a>/icons/case/CasesD.gif?OpenImageResource/icons/case/PrintD.gif?OpenImageResource</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
ecblank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="175%" bgColor=#efefef colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Service Engineer Response Last Updated By: </FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>slong</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD vAlign=center width="100%" bgColor=#efefef colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Service Engineer Response</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD vAlign=center width="100%" colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Original Case Title</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%"><FONT face=Tahoma color=#808080 size=2>RTV 900 FRONT DRIVE LINE VIBRATION</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Title</FONT></TD>
<TD width="82%" bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>RTV 900 FRONT DRIVE LINE VIBRATION</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Priority</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%" bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>2. Priority</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Dealer ID</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%" bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Tahoma size=2></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Product Line</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>V-TRACTOR</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Original Case Number</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%" bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>25655-05-11873</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Model Number</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>RTV900W</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Status</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%" bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Approved</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Serial Number</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>17704</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Date</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%" bgColor=#ffffff><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>05/24/2005</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Hours</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>80</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="54%" bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Has Equipment been seen? </FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Yes</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#efefef colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Response</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" colSpan=4>Yes, at the current time, replacing the u-joint is the solution. We are working on a more definite solution to this concern. <FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=4>
ecblank.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#efefef colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>What troubleshooting steps have been taken to date?</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>TROUBLESHOOT UNIT. FOUND LOOSE U JOINT.</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Dealer Name</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Information obtained from</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Visit/Customer Seen</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Entered by</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>RYAN VASEK</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Contact Method</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Phone</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="18%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Contact Name</FONT></TD>
<TD width="28%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>LEROY</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD>
<TD width="23%" bgColor=#efefef><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Contact Number</FONT></TD>
<TD width="31%"><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>979-242-5656</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ffffff size=2>.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%" bgColor=#efefef colSpan=4><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>Optional Fields </FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>No</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</FORM>