old speed control

G

At one point I heard that the old speed control was going to become the standard setup again. Has that happened? I just got an an RTV that still has the dampered assembly. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll be at my local dealer later in the week. I'll see what his has.</P>

Last person I know of that got a RTV did have the old style speed control but the machine was new. Manufactured in early April if I recall correctly.</P>

G

Well, its official now....

<FONT face=Tahoma>
<P align=left></P></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>
<P align=left>Date: 5, May 2005Title RTV900 Speed Lever Bracket Production Change Group Code PT11 – Mechanical Links / Shifters Product Line V-Tractor Model Number (s) RTV900 – serial numbers 10001-24462 and 34470 and above Service Information </P>
<P align=left></P>
<P align=left>Subject:
</FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>Kubota has recently made a running change in the dynamic braking characteristic of the RTV900. Serial number units 10001- 24462 and 34470 and above have the original dynamic braking characteristic. </FONT></P>
<P align=left><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>Parts Information </FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>The necessary parts to return to the original dynamic braking characteristics are available through KTC Parts Department (K7561-94210). Original Dynamic Braking Reduced Dynamic Braking Part Number: K7561-94210 Part Number: K7561-97420 S/N Range: 10001-24462 S/N Range: 24463-34469 34470-above </FONT></P>
<P align=left><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>Detailed Information </FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=3>Kubota has decided to return to the original dynamic braking design. The original dynamic braking was changed (running production change) to a design that reduced the deceleration when coming to a stop. However, the new design also decreased the unit’s ability to shift ranges easily. This decision to return to the original dynamic braking design characteristics was based on customer feedback. The majority of customers preferred the characteristics of the original dynamic braking design. We also advise all dealers to explain the unique operational characteristics of a hydrostatic</P></FONT>

Tact

So are you saying that if my serial # is 25xxx, I need or can change back to the original design?

G

Thats right. I'd take a moment and drive one first and make sure that you prefer it. I like the dampered version but only on units where its adjusted so that they shift easily.

Tact

What's the advantage of going back to the previous version? I actually have gotten used to the way mine shifts. Any thoughts from owners with the older versions?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In general, the old style provides better control using the pedal. When you let off, the RTV stops.</P>

Check out these threads.</P>

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/853/ShowPost.aspx</P>

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/329/ShowPost.aspx</P>

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/212/ShowPost.aspx</P>

G

My RTV is fairly recent, 35xxx sn. and came with the dampered assembly. Using the part # on this topic, I called my dealer (200 miles away) and ordered it. The part change was news to him, but considering all the models he handles, I was not surprised.</P>

Cost to me delivered was 38.00 with shipping. </P>

I took a picture of both new and old assemblys side by side, but was unable to attach them.</P>

I may be mistaken, but it appears that the only difference was the positioning of the "dumper" rod. </P>

Shifting seems easier, the operation is more like I expect from a hydrostatic trans. I have no way of being sure, but it seems my top speed is reduced slightly??</P>

Incidently, last weekend I took the wife and two dogs up to 12,000 ft. in Northern New Mexico. Mostly in midrange, no problems. Needless to say the power was down a bit, but it always had plenty in reserve. The ATV tires took a pretty good beating from sharp, loose rocks on the way up, but show no sign of damage.</P>

G

You will be able to attach those pictures if you create an account and login. </P>

The ease of shifting is the biggest reason to switch in my mind. </P>