Trouble in the Frozen North

irwin

Just wanted to throw this in... cold weather can cause other problems besides gelling fuel. Auto repair shops love a good cold snap. Cars break, components fail, switches stick, etc.

Good luck Ed, I'm rooting for ya.

shinnlinger

Is it running yet?

It sounds just like what happens when I gel a filter. I will get it started and head out of the barn and just when I get to the windiest, coldest part of the property she will die. There have been times when the filter is frozen in the bowl, but since you have already dealt with that it sounds like your issue is some crap at the botom of the tank. Since diesel floats on water, the water settles to the bottom of your tank and can freeze up there.

I have had good luck with 911 in these situations. Let it sit for a bit and 2 x out of three I am lucky and no need to swap filters. If you have a steel tank, you can put a magnetic block heater on it for a spell, but I have been known to dangle a shop light by the filter for a bit unitil the bowl clears in the real cold.

Some things to check

Fuel Not Reaching Injection Pump
1. Filter clogged
2. Fuel line clogged or restricted
3. Fuel too heavy at low temperatures

Engine Starts Hard or Won't Start
1. Air leak on suction side of system
2. Fuel too heavy at low temperatures
3. Diesel injection nozzles are faulty or sticking
4. Incorrect timing
5. Diesel automatic advance is faulty or not operating
6. Water in fuel
7. Filter clogged
8. Injection pump return fuel line or fittings restricted
9. Low cetane fuel
10.Injection pump 180 degrees out of time

OK, I'm glad you checked the fuel flow at the line as that was the next step and it sounds like you have some restriction there. Drain the fuel tank and pull the petcock out of the the tank. There is a screen strainer on it that may be plugged with trash. Try to get any trash in the tank flushed out. It sounds as if this may be your problem as there should be a good stream of fuel at that point. Also check the strainer that comes out of the tank. Mahindra had a update on that and there should be a 2" long strainer on the petcock, and if there isn't then there is a updated petcoch and strainer for it. Let us know what you find.

Galen, some how I knew you were gonna say that. Have ya ever noticed that you only have fuel tank issues when the thing is full. Yea the stream seemed a little on the slow side, I'm considering giving my dealer a call and let him deal with it. I did get the filters changed and bled the line at the outflow end of the filters. I still have to bleed the line at the pump and the high pressure side. Just not an easy area to work in for someone with a set of monster hands. It would be easier if the wheels were turned to the right and the loader was in the air though. Any idea when the petcock fix came out or what manufacture date is the cut off. My 4530 was delivered in June of 07. I'm thinking it has the short petcock.

Galen is there any way of testing the Shut off selinoid and the KSB timer.

Ed, i'm wondering how you made out? It definitely sounds like your tractor's fuel has gelled. Generally this is going to be in the fuel lines first. Obviously, a small amount of fuel in a 1/4 inch line is going to gel before a large amount in the fuel tank. I have heard good things about the 911 treatment. I've not had real life experience with it, but it is supposed to actually eat through the waxy build-up that clogs your lines when they gel. Unfortunately........ you may end up having to disconnect your fuel lines and blow them out with compressed air. I think you have headed in the right direction by adding 911 to the filter and tank. I'd suggest putting a battery charger on it (if possible) and cranking her over in an attempt to get the 911 circulating through the system. I ALWAYS add PS fuel treatment to my diesel in the winter..... no matter what the idiots on TBN say ! Its cheap insurance !!

I believe in the stuff too. That's what is puzzling. Howes treatment in the tank all winter.

Ed,
Just to be on the safe side like California and Dougster mentioned about a blown head gasket, check you water level to see if it is lower than usual. I am sure it is easier to check then the %&^&$*!@#) engineered dip stick. My dipstick is awkward to reach also.
hugs, Brandi

Nice to see that someone else has issues with the dipstick placement. Good idea though I'll check the radiator when I get home tonight.

Ed

GLAWALL

Galen, some how I knew you were gonna say that. Have ya ever noticed that you only have fuel tank issues when the thing is full. Yea the stream seemed a little on the slow side, I'm considering giving my dealer a call and let him deal with it. I did get the filters changed and bled the line at the outflow end of the filters. I still have to bleed the line at the pump and the high pressure side. Just not an easy area to work in for someone with a set of monster hands. It would be easier if the wheels were turned to the right and the loader was in the air though. Any idea when the petcock fix came out or what manufacture date is the cut off. My 4530 was delivered in June of 07. I'm thinking it has the short petcock.

Your tractor I would think would have the long strainer, and as far as the fuel shut off solenoid the only way I know of checking it is testing for power there when the key is on, and actually pulling it out to make sure it is traveling free. The only problem I have seen with them is the tractor not shutting off. The KSB timer I have not had any issues with the timers so I'm not sure about how to test it. I think most of the times that the KSB timers have been messed with, the real problem has been injection timing. Good luck with it.

Your tractor I would think would have the long strainer, and as far as the fuel shut off solenoid the only way I know of checking it is testing for power there when the key is on, and actually pulling it out to make sure it is traveling free. The only problem I have seen with them is the tractor not shutting off. The KSB timer I have not had any issues with the timers so I'm not sure about how to test it. I think most of the times that the KSB timers have been messed with, the real problem has been injection timing. Good luck with it.

Thank's Galen

Ed

Dougster

Old Member
It would be easier if the wheels were turned to the right and the loader was in the air though.
Question for another calmer time maybe... but I've often wondered if dry 100 PSIG compressed air could be used in a pinch to raise an FEL boom enough to set the maintenance stand in the full up position? Seems all you would need would be a 1/4" or 3/8" male air to 1/2" female hydraulic quick disconnect adapter.
Or have I been drinking too much Starbucks :starbucks: Coffee again? :respect:

Dougster :starbucks:

Bindian

Ed,
As my dipstick is on the right.......I always, always, always turn my wheels to the left before shutting down. :wave: Then I can squat my fat butt down and actually see the dipstick hole with out getting hit in the back by the Big RED Beast's R1.:rolleyes: To raise the loader out of the way, just put a 4 foot hi lift jack on the other side.
hugs, Brandi
hugs, Brandi

shinnlinger

I use diesel treatments also, but in the real cold things still happen. try directing heat to the bottom of the tank where you petcock comes out. A heat lamp angled in that direction might be just the ticket, alternatly get the misses to blow dry it for a half an hour or so or you can use a heat gun with a little more discretion.

I want to hear that thing run!

jbrumberg

I used to use my wife's hairdrier on my old Ford. I have since "upgraded" to an electric torch. The first time I gelled up last year I was "dead in the driveway" and I had just replaced all the filters, fluids, etc. , and was too cheap to replace all those expensive new filters as well as unable to get out of my driveway because of the dead tractor. I doubled shotted ("shat"?) some PS in the tank, and I decided to try the torch with good effect. I did stay in range of all my extension cords that day :rolleyes:. Jay

I used to use my wife's hairdrier on my old Ford. I have since "upgraded" to an electric torch. The first time I gelled up last year I was "dead in the driveway" and I had just replaced all the filters, fluids, etc. , and was too cheap to replace all those expensive new filters as well as unable to get out of my driveway because of the dead tractor. I doubled shotted ("shat"?) some PS in the tank, and I decided to try the torch with good effect. I did stay in range of all my extension cords that day :rolleyes:. Jay

As soon as I get out of the office today and get home I plan to get the hair dryer out.

shinnlinger

I should add that invariably when mine goes it is also in the darkest part of the yard just out of reach of my extension cords (or the ones I can find anyway) So I have to switch the filters out in the dark by feel or with my drool freezing to the penlight clenched beween my chattering teeth.

Once I get the frozen fuel bowl out I have to go put it in a plastic bag in hot water to free it up.

Knock on wood, this has yet to happen this year since I have been a little more dillegent with my filter swaps and addative adding (especially with biodiesel) but it also hasn't been much below zero in these parts either.

Dougster

Old Member
As soon as I get out of the office today and get home I plan to get the hair dryer out.
Seems you should tend to your sick tractor rather than worrying about your hairdoo!!! :wink:

p.s., Obviously, you don't have a "kerosene-construction-heater-from-hell" like I do!!! :tiphat:

Win one (in the great tool race) for the old Dougster! :thumb: -d

Seems you should tend to your sick tractor rather than worrying about your hairdoo!!! :wink:

p.s., Obviously, you don't have a "kerosene-construction-heater-from-hell" like I do!!! :tiphat:

Win one (in the great tool race) for the old Dougster! :thumb: -d

No that's one of the few things that I don't have. Looks like you are now one up on me. :wave:

Ed

So what's the morning report Ed??? We all want to know if the TANK is back in service again!!! :cool:

No not yet. Didn't get home till almost 5:30 last night. I also remembered at the last minute that is was my wifes birthday. Had to be a good husband and make sure that she knows that I love her more than my tractor. :eek:

Ed

Dougster

Old Member
No not yet. Didn't get home till almost 5:30 last night. I also remembered at the last minute that is was my wifes birthday. Had to be a good husband and make sure that she knows that I love her more than my tractor. :eek:

Ed
Were you able to fool her??? :yum:

rback33

Ed

Did you says knows and mean thinks?:yum::yum::yum: